Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
24-02-2013, 03:56 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
Growing up in the bible-belt I was always taught that God has the answer to everything, scientists are nut-jobs, etc. I had grown up being extremely judgmental and hated gays, people of different religions and all the normal stereotypical bible thumper stuff. When I turned 14 I started smoking and I really think that changed my attitude towards a lot of things, I started questioning what I thought I knew instead of assuming I was right and eventually came to the conclusion that I didn't believe God existed and that being a Christian had just made be an overall bad person.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2013, 06:21 PM
I voted no, I've never believed. But I should add a caveat. I have not believed since reaching the age of reason.

When I was 10 years old I suddenly realized that I was mortal. I knew that everyone eventually dies but one day I realized that that rule applied to me. I told my father what was troubling me and he gave me the story about God, the Bible, Jesus and salvation, and I took great comfort in that.

Then one day in Sunday School when I was about 12 years old the teacher announced that next week's lesson would be "why we know that God exists." I was thrilled. I wanted to know. I spent the next week in anticipation.

When the great day came the teacher had all of us sit in a circle, then, starting with the kid on her left, she went around the circle and had each kid tell why he knew God exists. Each kid gave an answer I'd heard before. "Because the sunset is beautiful." "Because science does not have all the answers." By the time it was my turn I had realized that this was not a lesson, it was a test. So I came up with some bullsh*t answer, I don't remember what.

The rest of the day was one of the worst in my life. l was very depressed. For a week I had anticipated a great revelation. I got one.

I knew that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny were not real, but God? That was the beginning of my doubts. By the time I graduated from high school my beliefs were pretty much the ones I hold today.
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
03-03-2013, 11:19 PM
(29-12-2010 11:52 PM)Observer Wrote:  I wonder... Are most of the forum users "converted believers" or where they always atheist?.
I first learned about god and religion at the age of 7. My mother left us with dad's mother so she didn't have to raise us. Grandmother was a strong catholic and showed us how to pray and believe. I later attended a xtian college (because of a girl) and lead bible groups and even went of missions to other countries. In my late 20's (I'm in my late 40's now) I started to question little things about the bible. I really didn't become a full blown atheist till about 4 years ago. (more like a deist before) I'm still trying to figure out how I ever believed in any of it. Many of my family and friends remain brainwashed...I mean... religious. I live dead in the middle of bible country! These poeple have lost it!
08-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Forgive this shy girl... but I'm going to jump in here, otherwise I won't say anything for a very long time *closes eyes and leaps* .

I believed as a kid, but when all your peers are believers you often go with the flow; when asking questions is discouraged with physical abuse you just don't ask them aloud-- you just close your eyes, shove down the doubts and believe with whatever scraps of faith you have left over. I was either home schooled, or sent to a small fun-gelical ACE school until 10th grade-- this sets up a weird sort of feed-back loop for the believers. Everything they see, everyone they talk to, everyone they're around, whatever they do all re-enforces their beliefs. Everything! My science education came from the library, NOVA, the Science Channel-- anything I could get my hands on; but I could feel my faith shattering with every fact I learned.

That's not to say I didn't want to believe. I really did! It seemed so easy, to comforting, to have that faith, that belief. I still have days when it'd be so much easier to just believe. Wouldn't it? I mean, just not having to ponder the mysteries of everything and *poof* suddenly getting all the answers, that'd be fantastic! Everyone seemed to be so happy, except that I knew everyone was depressed as hell!

Just knowing, and admitting aloud, that any prayer than I had had, that had been "answered" was because of something I had done was really the only truth that I needed. It just took me a little while to reprogramme myself after I figured out that it wasn't the denomination that was the problem, it was the whole god-thing.

I can still speak evangelical, though and am available for translation work as necessary. I also speak LDS and passable JW, and can understand most other religious dialects. I'm not sure if that skill is an asset, or if it's just something I can use to laugh at my missionary grandparents, behind their backs... yes, missionaries. But I'll talk about them another time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes RedHead Confetti's post
08-03-2013, 03:13 PM
(08-03-2013 03:06 PM)RedHead Confetti Wrote:  I can still speak evangelical, though and am available for translation work as necessary. I also speak LDS and passable JW, and can understand most other religious dialects.

ROFL Smile I too speak evangelical Tongue Not very well though 'cos I can't stop myself from either making this face: Dodgy or this one: Laugh out load It tends to put them serious buggers off their feed...
29-03-2013, 06:39 PM
I wonder how many of the former believers were raised to believe and then wised up in their teens or young adulthood, and how many converted in teens or young adulthood. The latter for me, and I often feel like a complete dunce when I see all these young people figuring it out early on. Even the 'gelicals themselves know that once someone has hit adulthood, their chances of "accepting Christ" drop precipitously.
[+] 1 user Likes matthewwest's post
29-03-2013, 06:47 PM
(29-03-2013 06:39 PM)matthewwest Wrote:  Even the 'gelicals themselves know that once someone has hit adulthood, their chances of "accepting Christ" drop precipitously.
Indeed.

"Divines act very wisely in teaching men their religious principles before they are capable of distinguishing truth from falsehood, or their left hand from their right. It would be as difficult to instill into the mind of a man, forty years old, the extravagant notions that are given us of the divinity, as to eradicate them from the mind of him who had imbibed them from infancy."
-Paul Henri Thiry d’Holbach, "Good Sense"

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
31-03-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm wondering how many agnostics are on here...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

“You just go where your high-top sneakers sneak, and don't forget to use your head.”
[+] 1 user Likes CaffinatedPuppy's post
03-04-2013, 10:11 PM
I was raised to be a Mormon. I was taught the Joseph Smith story as absolute truth, and was given a rigorous all around education of my parent's religion. I had read the bible by the time I was 9 years old, and twice two years later. I believed everything I was told. I am now very much bothered by this, since I wasted a few short years in the pursuit of a dream. I often hear stories of people who never really believed, or always rebelled outright. Whenever I hear these stories, I am always embarrassed not to find myself among them. It is especially stupid to cling to a belief like Mormonism, that can be definitely proved false through historical documents and accounts available at the click of a mouse. It is fascinating to me now, watching my family do this, knowing full well that their hopes are founded on a system that has been proved false, beyond any doubt. Sometimes it is hurtful, but it passes.

The roots of my Atheism were planted at the age of 13, and grew to fruition around the age of 18. It was a gradual process, but fully worth it. I declared myself officially an Atheist on January 1 2013.

Religion, rather than acting as a symbol of truth or justice, merely acts as a symbol of human gullibility and stupidity. Surely no race of beings with any real intelligence would concoct such drivel.
[+] 1 user Likes Prometheus762's post
04-04-2013, 11:51 AM
I grew up Southern Baptist; my parents still are fundamentalist. However, I never agreed with their views on a lot of things like homosexuality and politics. My then-fiance and I agreed on those things. However, when we were planning our wedding, he decided we needed to be better christians, since that was what we believed. So we started reading the bible, and discussing it. That led to our deconversion. I always find that a little strange, that reading the bible caused us to deconvert.
[+] 2 users Like MaryLee's post