Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
20-05-2013, 05:59 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
I think being raised in two religions was an advantage. One parent was a zealot, the other scarcely cultural, perhaps in truth more deist. I think such surroundings were of grand advantage. I was able to witness grand hypocrisy in god from the start because my mothers faith did not use the KJV of the bibl.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2013, 06:23 PM
(15-05-2013 09:25 AM)xFezziwig Wrote:  I was raised as a Baptist Christian, went to church every Sunday up until about 4th grade. I was still a christian but never thought about my faith very much. I remained this way up until eighth grade when a friend of mine became very outspoken about his atheist beliefs. We both had a long conversation about existence and non-existence of a God, but ultimately I was defeated in that argument. I thought a lot about what my friend had said to me. I had always been skeptical of God, but never said anything because most of my family are all devoted Christians. I decided to accept myself as a deist despite still being skeptical of an existence of a creator. It was later that year after a lot of learning and arguing that I truly decided that I did not believe in some super-natural creator. I accepted atheism and have been outspoken about it for about a year.

Ya know Fezz, My story is Almost the opposite. I say Almost because I started the same as you, albeit a Methodist Christian, going to church with the fam, singing in the choir, going to church camp, etc. However, when I was around 13, I had this insane notion of becoming a minister. I felt so at home in our little church community. So I asked my current minister, Rev. Linda, about how one would go about achieving this mighty goal. She looked at me and said, "Tell Me... If God created us, then who created him?" It was like flushing a toilet! My entire belief structure was thrown into the shitter and she just yanked that damn chain!!! (it should be noted that she asked that question as a test of my faith... FAIL!)

So for the next couple of decades, I was a wondering knowledge whore, looking for anything and everything that would or could fill this imaginary gaping hole in my life. I have read the Quran, the Torah, the necromonicon, the "Satanic Bible"... absolutely anything and everything. Then I met my friend Paul. Paul is a devoted Christian who does not subscribe to a specific denomination, he just reads his bible and forms his own interpretation (The most dangerous of ALL). At the time, I thought "What a novel idea!" and eventually I became born-again! Seriously! I was that desperate for spiritual acceptance!

Finally, In 2003, my reserve unit was activated and sent to Iraq. Have you ever heard the old chestnut, "There are no atheists in foxholes." Well, this one was born there! After experiencing some crazy mess up shit, I decided that Christianity, and all the others for that matter, we completely full of shit. A true all-powerful omnipotent creator who would let some of that crazy shit happen was not worth the shit being thrown by monkeys!!!!

But being a stubborn, hard-headed, jack ass, Marine, I still clung to the whole deity mentality, but actually started pouring all of my energy into truly living a left-hand path... Belialism. Looking back, I can tell you that it was all completely made up in my head, but I would justify every morsel of knowledge that I spewed with some twisted quote or another. I was definately at my rock bottom.

You will be happy to know, that after some extensive lifestyle alterations and eye-opening experiences, I am now as sane as the next free-thinker!!

“My view is that if your philosophy is not unsettled daily then you are blind to all the universe has to offer.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes Vagas's post
21-05-2013, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2013 07:25 PM by mysterics.)
I was a theist when I was a child, it was never 'religious' belief; no particular holy text or dogma involved.
When I was very young (early primary school) I was more abrahamic, because that's what I was taught in school (It was sort of Abrahamic and semi-Christian.)

I believed in one perfect, patriarchal God and in Jesus who God sent to help us and I felt Jesus was someone with god-given powers who stood up for his and our beliefs and was consequently crucified for his heresy,didn't believe the trinity or that Jesus was 'the son' of God, I believed we were all God's children, and I never believed the 'died for our sins' thing, I don't think I was actually taught it, but I'm not sure.

Mid primary school I lost belief in Jesus as a supernatural figure but instead a mortal man,and came to believe in an imperfect God, a sort of 'Mother Nature' type figure as opposed to something abrahamic. My belief in supernatural stuff gradually waned over the years and I didn't 'take up' anything after that, by later primary school I was an atheist.
28-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Yea, i agree in have good content and I would like to know if you have any other posts, thanks!

Learn Quran with Tajweed
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-05-2013, 05:20 AM
(29-12-2010 11:52 PM)Observer Wrote:  I wonder... Are most of the forum users "converted believers" or where they always atheist?.
Yes. I was a born again Christian when I was around 12 or 13 and was baptised in a Baptist church. Went off the rails when I was 16 and came back to Christianity during a crisis in my life at 21. When my faith didn't do anything, change anything or make things better and my marriage fell apart, I became a 'spiritualist' which is just another way of saying I didn't want to offend my friends who were Christians or believers of other faiths. I went back to college to get my qualifications in science and seamlessly slipped into agnosticism which is harder than spiritualist but not as offensive as outright atheism. After working several years in genetics and continuing my studying I 'came out' as an atheist in my 50's. I would consider myself a strong atheist at this point in my life. I don't believe in deities of any description and I don't believe in a paranormal or spiritual realm, ghosts, spirits etc. My mother and mother-in-law are devout religious believers and I cannot discuss my unbelief with them.

I have come from another forum that was debating the Evidence for the Existence of God and after a couple of years of the same old arguments, I'm bored with that and looking for some support rather than derision for the conclusion I have reached.
[+] 1 user Likes Snowyflake's post
28-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Yes, I think that beliefs and answers to life, the universe and everything are natural to the human behauviour. And as a kid I accepted the answers people gave me. Off course I'm a freethinker and I had a lot of those answers "corrupted" in my mind so they could mold in the reality I perceived. Christianity in my childhood was the default set of answers and I believe it still is. Science teaching is generally poor in basic education and only later when I had access to more sources of knowledge that I started to mold my own beliefs and became in the process a critical thinker and an atheist. Knowledge freed me. My mom is a librarian and subscribed to "Ciência Hoje das crianças" for me. It is a edition of a brazilian scientific magazine aimed to kids and it probably made a whole difference in my life. A lot of my atheists friends have similar stories so I assume it's very common.
21-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Re: Were you once a believer?
I was raised Catholic and for a majority of my childhood, I very much believed it. Then I hit the cliche "age of reason"
23-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Pretty much never. My parents were not atheists, but they weren't really christian neither, and my father was a bit anti-clerical. I was attracted to biology and natural history as a kid. Around the age of six or seven I bought a kid's bible story book, but it didn't catch on in my head. I sort of naturally drifted towards atheism after that point. Certainly towards an interest in genetics, and natural selection by the age of 14. I had doubts, but as I reached my thirties, I realised that I had become a dyed in the wool atheist.
28-06-2013, 12:13 AM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2013 12:17 AM by Gamecock.)
I was born into a solid evangelical family. When i was a 12 my parents helped start a church with charismatic leanings. I was all in for Jesus! I was leading student prayer groups in my high school, and later became a youth minister. My "special calling" didn't end there...i had to do more and greater things for Jesus! A glutton for punishment, i wanted to be a missionary in the most difficult mission field possible! Ah, spiritual pride...haha... I ended up spending 2 years in a Middle Eastern Muslim country attempting (and utterly failing!) to plant a church there.

While conversing with Muslims, I was astonished to learn that they too had religious experiences and all sorts of subjective feelings that "confirmed" the truth of their faith in Allah. It was a revelation to me that faith is primarily cultural, and I had no doubt that had i grown up as an Arab child in a Muslim family that everything in my experience, surroundings, culture, and family life would have led me to be an ardent Muslim as well (a parallel world to the Christian culture and family I had been born into). This eye-opening experience, as well as growing "problems" I had with the Bible started me on a slippery slope towards atheism! I fought the gnawing truth, as all I had ever known was my faith in Jesus, which at that time was truly my first love in life (30 year old virgin, cough, cough).

It's been a tough journey and heartbreaking at times...but i'm happy and at peace to live in the REAL world now!
28-06-2013, 01:04 AM
(28-06-2013 12:13 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  I was born into a solid evangelical family. When i was a 12 my parents helped start a church with charismatic leanings. I was all in for Jesus! I was leading student prayer groups in my high school, and later became a youth minister. My "special calling" didn't end there...i had to do more and greater things for Jesus! A glutton for punishment, i wanted to be a missionary in the most difficult mission field possible! Ah, spiritual pride...haha... I ended up spending 2 years in a Middle Eastern Muslim country attempting (and utterly failing!) to plant a church there.

While conversing with Muslims, I was astonished to learn that they too had religious experiences and all sorts of subjective feelings that "confirmed" the truth of their faith in Allah. It was a revelation to me that faith is primarily cultural, and I had no doubt that had i grown up as an Arab child in a Muslim family that everything in my experience, surroundings, culture, and family life would have led me to be an ardent Muslim as well (a parallel world to the Christian culture and family I had been born into). This eye-opening experience, as well as growing "problems" I had with the Bible started me on a slippery slope towards atheism! I fought the gnawing truth, as all I had ever known was my faith in Jesus, which at that time was truly my first love in life (30 year old virgin, cough, cough).

It's been a tough journey and heartbreaking at times...but i'm happy and at peace to live in the REAL world now!

Ha! Bit of a reversal of the idea behind missionaryism Tongue The missionary goes somewhere far away to impart knowledge but instead the dastardly heathens teach him and he comes back as a wiser man...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow Recent Non-Believer trekker4ever 4 274 30-08-2013 06:56 AM
Last Post: SpaceMonkey
  Ex-Jehovah's Witness turned non-believer valpohawkeye 10 982 11-05-2013 09:05 PM
Last Post: smidgen
  INTRO - Post believer, former Southern Baptist Roger Williams 2 428 12-08-2011 07:31 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan