Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
01-12-2013, 02:54 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
I am making a list of all the things I used to believe - it's currently over 2 sides of A4 and growing. If someone were to read it, they might be inclined to say that I might have needed psychiatric help of some sort. One of the least strange things was that I sincerely believed the world was coming to an imminent end (it might still be for all I know, but for different reasons). One of the more whacky beliefs was that I lived alongside an unseen spirtual world, inhabited by beings that desired our good or our harm. Don't fear - I no longer hold these beliefs, but they demonstrate the effect of religious teaching on an over-active imagination, driven by fear. I hope I'm not the only one...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bill A's post
01-12-2013, 03:05 PM
(01-12-2013 02:54 PM)Bill A Wrote:  I hope I'm not the only one...

Far from it mate Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
09-12-2013, 06:29 AM
I was a believer for almost 40 years. I still see religions as more benign than most atheists. I respect the views of Robert Price, Dan Barker, and Jerry DeWitt, they're all former pastors and atheists. Robert Price calls himself "The Bible Geek."
09-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Yes I was brought up with the belief of god. We weren't an overly religious family but we did go to church a couple times a month. I will say that I truly began to question my religion at about 14 or 15 and declared myself agnostic as I wasn't quite ready to let it all go. It wasn't until I was in my late 20's before I completely made the switch although I had been leaning highly towards atheism since I was about 18. I recently told my mother that I was an atheist. She took it quite well her only response was I think your brother is too.(He is and I've know for a couple of years but I will let him tell her on his own time.)

Onward, my faithful steed!
[Image: ezgif-save_zps4d93a674.gif?t=1395781443]
13-12-2013, 09:43 PM
I was raised catholic. I went to catholic school until 5th grade. My mother converted so she could marry my dad in the church. When I was a child I believed very strongly. I also used to pester the priests about not allowing girls to be alter servants. They allow them now, but for some reason they didn't back then. There was even a time when I thought that I might be a nun. It didn't last past the age of about 8. I would have many deep conversations with my mom and I can even remember as a 10 year old discussing my grandmother's creationist view and wondering how you could not accept evolution. They accept evolution in the catholic church. My mother's mom would always complain because she doesn't think Catholic's are Christian. She spends half the year in Florida with our Fundamentalist relatives and comes home preaching about how we all need to move down there because we don't live the right way. My mother has always been supportive of anything I believed and even now she is somewhat supportive of me being an atheist. She prefers to remain agnostic. Her mother is very persistent in trying to "save us" she thinks she did something wrong and that she is going to hell for her failure to raise a proper Christian family. She is 87 so I doubt I will ever see that change. I feel bad because she believes she is deserving of eternal torture.
Right before I admitted I was a complete atheist, I went through a phase in my 20's where I dated a fundamentalist Christian. I was searching and I wanted to be like all the happy Christians. I wanted to believe, I really did, but in the end I saw behind the curtain and realized that I would never be a believer. You can't choose what you believe and you can't force yourself. I would have just been lying.
Besides, that particular fundamentalist Christian was a liar a bigot and a huge hypocrite. He got me pregnant, asked me to have an abortion then left and never once has he contacted me to ask about my son.

My atheist husband was there for my son from the day I had him and has been daddy ever since. My husband and I are good people who do good things. We raise our son to be kind and caring. Right now, he is 7 and he believes in a God, but he has never been exposed to the bible or church. He understands that his parents don't believe and we have tried to explain it to him, he is still a bit young to really understand it all. I think he will come around when he is older, but for now he still can't imagine that a magic being is not controlling the weather or that he was created somehow by magic.
I have seen signs that he is going to be a skeptic. He is very similar to me and can't stop asking questions and loves to argue.
[+] 1 user Likes riverdawn411's post
20-12-2013, 04:56 AM
Yes, up to a couple of months ago!
[+] 1 user Likes Ex-MuslimInTheCloset's post
23-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Wow, 76% were believers. I'm new here and glad to know I'm not alone. Smile
29-12-2013, 01:13 PM
I did once, but like everyone else I grew a fucking brain and then stopped. However, you can attribute his to a guy named "ace" and his friends, oh and a bunch of Japanese users of an old forum. But that's a story for another time...
29-12-2013, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2013 03:12 PM by Heathen.)
I suppose that my answer is yes, however there is much more to that answer. I began to seriously question Christianity in my early teens and cannot truly say that I was a believer past the age of about 15. So does that really count? I believed in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy when I was 5. So what? It's not as though I had any rational, well thought out reasoning behind my belief in Santa. I was simply believing what my parents told me, something that evolution had programmed me to do. It's not as though I had any choice in believing in God either at a young age. I was indoctrinated and my ability to reason was not yet well developed. I'd like to change my vote to no.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
31-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Yeap I was raised in a fundy home as we had to live with my grandparent when I was small and grandfather is a pastor. Luckily he is also intelligent and hasn't shut his brain off like some christians do.