Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
02-01-2014, 06:11 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
Grew up believing that a god used science to do everything...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 08:57 PM
I believed when I was growing up, but became an atheist in college. Looking back, I do realize that I had the beginnings of doubt at an early age and maybe I never really believed, but I still consider myself a recovering Catholic.

“Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one.” -Richard Dawkins
[+] 1 user Likes TessaStine's post
03-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Yes, I once believed. But those days are over, thank God! Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like PoeticCondition's post
03-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Re: Were you once a believer?
I'd like to think that most people grew up believing in something but life as it is today tends to continue to disprove these beliefs.
Seems no matter how much or how passionately we pray for something the results are always the same.
This tends to make non believers or skeptical or "sinners" if you will.
Myself, label me what you will but my faith lies in things that have been proven to me witnesed with my own eyes.
08-01-2014, 02:41 PM
From the age of 5 to 60 I was a Christian. I was very active in the church....I have been baptized Baptist (twice), Protestant, and Catholic. I have been "saved" so many times I can't count. In my 40s I studied the Bible 6-8 hours a day. The more I studied, the worse it got. It just didn't make sense. I began to study other philosophies....Deist, Hindu, Taoism, ....that didn't work either. All I wanted was for someone to love me unconditionally. That certainly wasn't god or my parents. It was only when I discovered that I was the only one that could do that, did I dare to look into Atheism. My son and grandson have been Atheists for almost their whole life, so I wasn't totally ignorant of it, but, it scared the crap out of me.
It took almost 8 years before I could say, I'm an Atheist, without creepy things climbing up and down my back. I have now been an Atheist for 5 years. I am free from trying to live a life that was very confusing in the first place. I am in charge of my own morals, values, and self.

Please remember the Native American Indians Heart
[+] 3 users Like justauntb's post
08-01-2014, 03:39 PM
When I was little, I didn't know. Was never brought up to believe it, the subject was never really broached. I was agnostic with a worry if it might be real, but that worry was only fleeting when it was there.

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
08-01-2014, 04:36 PM
I agree with Stark Raving, there should be an option for 'I just did what my mum said until I knew better...'

- t

Roy: ♪ ♫ "We don't need no education..." ♪ ♫
Moss: "Yes you do, you've just used a double negative."

[the i.t. crowd]
12-01-2014, 06:15 AM
I selected No but I used to believe in reincarnation, karma, new agey superstitions etc. My mother and grandmother used to believe in it too so I was just following suit. I was sent to Christian schools early on but was always agnostic. The first idea that I dismissed was the idea of a devil. It just seemed nonsensical. Then about the age of 14 I realised that the idea of an omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent god made no sense because such a god would then be everything and a thing by definition needs limits (you try getting a Christian to admit that though!). And if God is not omni{present,potent,scient} then why worship it?

The logical inconsistencies of reincarnation felled my belief in it a few years later. You can share the same memories with someone else, it doesn't mean to say that you are the same person. What is a soul except some idea of consciousness existing after death? In which case, why do we need a brain? Why do we become unconscious etc ...

I was suffering from major depression at around this time and losing this crutch didn't help. But in the end I came out stronger as I realised that the meaning of life is what you apply to it.
12-01-2014, 06:33 AM
(01-12-2013 02:54 PM)Bill A Wrote:  Don't fear - I no longer hold these beliefs, but they demonstrate the effect of religious teaching on an over-active imagination, driven by fear. I hope I'm not the only one...

I'm kind of embarrassed about my earlier naivety but I have to remind myself that you don't come out of the womb knowing all the answers. You have to learn about the world from adults who may for one reason or another mislead you. Critical thinking is a skill and as with any other skill has to be learnt and developed over time.

But perhaps the most important point is that it all seems so obvious in retrospect once you know the answers or once the obvious has been pointed out. I find that you don't ever feel more intelligent because of this, everyone else's beliefs just seem more bizarre.

A belief in Santa Claus is a good example. Once it's pointed out to you the physical realities of what it would take to deliver all those presents on a single night, it' would be laughable to still believe in it. But children don't consider such things and nor do we expect them to.
17-01-2014, 07:59 AM
I was born Christian in the most populous Muslim country, Indonesia.

And here's my story how i end up being a disbeliever.

The situation in my hometown (Jakarta) is very peaceful, until the year when i was born 1998 Fall of Suharto presidencies, well it is ironic... my ethnic (which is Chinese Indonesian) become an innocent victims of riots. (maybe due to Suharto have Chinese ancestry)

On the riots of 1998 reformation, our family's market is robbed massively an destroyed by the protesters. We came in a great financial depression, and it is a long hardwork until our good live back.

Now, the situation here in my neighborhood is far more better than those days. People are more care to each other and very anti-racism not like the old days. People also care to each other no matter what religion they have, except for... Atheism... It is kinda like very taboo in here, the first sentence in Pancasila also a requirements to be an Indonesian citizen is need to have faith in good

Back to my story, here i am confused about my religion, i found many weird unexplainable things and[b] irrational[/b].

I am curious. I search more about Bible failure, contradict revelations to each other, the human intervention to the "Holy" book. And also thanks to my internet friend from overseas, i end up being a disbeliever to this religion.

I kept my status secret from my parents and i am still going to church every week because of my parents. But i have lose my faith, and let the free mind of being curious without the barriers of irrational things.

But my mind is still confused, first i have a crush with a religious Christian boy who also my friend since we are little. (i always meet him every week at the church and we become quite a best friend, and i hope it is not friendzoned)

Second, besides that "love" things i am also curious with another religion, Buddhism, Hinduism, and of course the famous here Islam. I am still curious, world full of mystery, aliens and conspiracies and many more the internet haves it.

I searching and searching, end up finding a YouTube channel of this website and...

I am here to find myself, [b]The real purpose of my life besides of living just for promise of afterlife.[/b]

Im really glad for everyone to help.
[+] 1 user Likes CuriousHuman's post