Poll: Were you once religious?
Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
31-01-2014, 08:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2014 01:23 AM by Mark E.)
RE: Were you once a believer?
I believe the best way to quickly go from a believer to an atheist is to read ALL the bible. I started reading the bits that most christians would rather ignore when I was 11 or 12. By 15 I had serious doubts. By 20 after further reading of the bible and other material, I believed Jesus was maybe some sort of special person maybe like Buda. Now in my 50's I feel happiest without any religion. I would add that it is much easier here "down under" than other countries because religion has never been a big deal here. We're a very secular society. My mum was a bit disappointed but no big issue,really. My dad - no problem at all as he was always a skeptic.

Looking back, I got no comfort at all from religion - just guilt and pain. So pleased to be free of it. I now say I'm an agnostic humanist. Making the best of the one life I have and being awed by nature is enough for me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mark E's post
14-02-2014, 12:38 PM
As i was growing up i was taken to sunday school/church by my mum, but i got bored and started to have doubts (i was very young). At school we were told that god etc was real, although we were taught other religions it was heavily implied that the were not true. This put me off christianity and religion completely. I started looking into the matter more and released how fanciful religious texts were. My high school education was similar although they were very understanding about me beliefs (more people started to realise the same things as me). I have generally been a quite atheist, not really discussing it until i recently started uni. I have started to defend my views properly. It still amazes me the look i get when i tell people my beliefs!!
16-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Always an Atheist, believe in the supernatural is completely foreign to me.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

-Epicurus
24-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Born and raised Christian. 28 years old now. My turning point was watching How the Universe Works on netflix. From there came books from Krauss, Kaku, Dawkins, etc.

I went from being a God-fearing Christian, to a Godless Atheist. And to think that I used to believe that being a Godless Atheist was a bad thing...much worse than being a God-Fearing Christian 'Merican, lol.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
02-03-2014, 02:40 PM
I was a believer. When I was four my mother told me about God and I believed her. My god belief varied through the years, (Methodist, nondenominational, Unity, Catholic, Baptist, even studied for a time with Jehovah’s Witnesses) but it never even occurred to me that the nonexistence of God was a possibility. Started seeking God in my early thirties. Acting on what I thought was a nudge from God telling me to read the Bible with no pre-existing ideas or beliefs and by the third chapter I knew I didn’t believe in that god. Once I stopped believing in that god it wasn’t so long before I stopped believing in them all.
[+] 1 user Likes DoorNumber3's post
09-03-2014, 03:25 PM
I was a Christian, raised in the faith, and spent most of my adulthood in it. Up until a few years ago, did I 'declare' that I was through with it. It wasn't a decision. It was more like a path. The path just kept leading me to the truth, the real truth, not the Bible's version of it. Or what others taught me truth was, as a child.

Truth just is. We discover truth. Religion tries to invent it, to compete with real truth. Once you wake up from the religi-coma, it's not an easy path to follow...but, it ends up being the right one. Smile

"Everybody knows what a caterpillar is, and it doesn't look anything like a butterfly." Heart ~ Lynn Margulis
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
11-03-2014, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 10:39 AM by huracanmery.)
I grew up in a secular family in Texas. More of the "religion is something other people do" camp than the "God doesn't exist and this is why" one. When I was 12, peer influence overpowered upbringing and I got saved at a Youth For Christ event at my public school. I immersed myself in that world throughout junior high and even into high school. I was an expert on late 80s and early 90s Christian music. I won a bunch of trivia contests from the radio station (KSBJ). The Christian Music episode of TTA was like a trip down memory lane. I felt persecuted by my parents (who stayed out of my business except to tell me not to scare my little brother with hell) and hoped that they would get saved too. By high school I'd chilled out a little bit but it wasn't until I went to Baylor University when I realized that it just was not for me. I was so excited to go away to college because then I could go to church without worrying what my parents would think of me. But the very first time I went to a newbie orientation, they were giving me and some of the other freshmen a tour of the church and name dropping famous Christians who had spoken or performed there. I stayed behind in the Multi Purpose Area looking at the basketball hoops and band setup when it hit me like a ton of bricks. I remember thinking, "None of this MEANS anything. There is so much effort and sincere belief and money and time invested in all of this and it doesn't even mean anything!" I zoned my way through the Free Pizza and Mini Golf event and never was the same. Although I never felt able to use the A-word until my early thirties. I can do it now in safe company. My area is very conservative so I make my stance known only when explicitly asked about it.
13-03-2014, 02:28 AM
I converted to Christianity at 18, a couple months out of high school, after being raised a nominal Catholic (Irish, y'know.)

I bought the whole thing, and the morning after receiving Christ began years of attendance at a literalist, fundamentalist non-denominational church. I believed the bible was the inerrant word of god. I believed the earth was 6000 years old or so. I believed Noah built an Ark and preserved all terrestrial life. I believed the end times were imminent. I believed I had at least a 50/50 chance of being raptured and that the Tim LaHaye/Hal Lindsay/etc. end times timeline was gonna come to pass.

I believed our leaders were god-ordained and that to not follow them was to disobey god.

My wife and I were, for a time, spiritually abused by the leadership of this church. Eventually I'll get into that.

My wife was the first to find herself and reject Christianity. For 7-8 years we lived in different worlds, somehow managing to learn to understand each other. Finally I found my way out too, easing through an agnostic/secular Buddhist phase to my current humanist/atheist stance. In all I spent 26 years being deluded, years I wish I could get back.

ToonForever
--------------------------------------
Why I No Longer Believe
I once was blind, but now I see...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ToonForever's post
17-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Yes I was pretty much one..