WestBoro Baptist Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2012, 05:30 PM
RE: WestBoro Baptist Church
I thought it was funny that they even have the stupid "God Hates Fags" signs on the alter of their own church.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Blood's post
19-05-2012, 09:13 PM
(18-05-2012 09:11 PM)elemts Wrote:  I've been kind of secretly (or not so secretly) hoping a tornado took out their church, and didn't harm any other houses--just so they could try to explain that one.
Putting myself into their mindset...

God is angry about fag infested America so he has shown his wrath. We have to let America know gays are not to be tolerated. We have to be louder and more active in spreading our good news. [add some relevant bible verse relating to being part of a sinful nation and being punished for not speaking out loud enough.]

From a theist mindset it's possible to explain anything. It requires a bit of creativity and slight adjustments in the interpretation of some ambiguous scripture. I was once a Christian so I have first hand experience.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
19-05-2012, 09:20 PM
(19-05-2012 09:13 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(18-05-2012 09:11 PM)elemts Wrote:  I've been kind of secretly (or not so secretly) hoping a tornado took out their church, and didn't harm any other houses--just so they could try to explain that one.
Putting myself into their mindset...

God is angry about fag infested America so he has shown his wrath. We have to let America know gays are not to be tolerated. We have to be louder and more active in spreading our good news. [add some relevant bible verse relating to being part of a sinful nation and being punished for not speaking out loud enough.]

From a theist mindset it's possible to explain anything. It requires a bit of creativity and slight adjustments in the interpretation of some ambiguous scripture. I was once a Christian so I have first hand experience.
The not speaking out loud enough.... yes.... I could definitely see that being the reason they'd say. Never thought of that one before, thanks Smile
20-05-2012, 06:00 AM
(19-05-2012 04:18 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  I posted this video on facebook, only 2 days after I posted these psychos are coming (today) to Texas to protest. I dont know how a theist can watch and not understand this is really what they are subscribing to. They are just more militant and in your face about it.

that will depend on what denomination you are referring to...

one thing that fascinates me with Christianity: there are fellowships of Christian gays; there is even a conservative one: http://www.gaychristian101.com/
21-05-2012, 12:12 AM
I love Louis Theroux and his documentaries. If any of you haven't seen his Nazi documentary is just as disturbing as it is interesting.

Still, I'm surprised that the WestBoro baptist church is this insane but this part always makes me laugh. I always thought theists knew we were completely joking about eating infants. Unfortunately it doesn't seem so.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
21-05-2012, 02:46 AM
Does the bible not say "love thou bitch next door"?

Funny how they pick and choose what parts they want to follow.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
21-05-2012, 05:14 AM
"Yer gonna eat yer babies!" That had me pissing my pants and pounding on the table... Why is this guy still alive?

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea
22-05-2012, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2012 12:55 AM by DeepThought.)
(21-05-2012 05:14 AM)arcticspear Wrote:  "Yer gonna eat yer babies!" That had me pissing my pants and pounding on the table... Why is this guy still alive?
The hate keeps him alive. Hell it'll probably revive him if his heart ever stops. A man like that will never need a pacemaker!

He's very lean. I suppose that helps. Calorie restriction prolongs life. He seems like the kind that would never indulge/enjoy anything other than sucking the joy out of people. Vampire!

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
22-05-2012, 06:02 AM
You know, I chatted with Megan Phelps quite a bit via Twitter. Aside from her dedication to her religion, she is actually quite normal. There's something really strange about this. On one hand, she's extremely polite. She was very, very polite to me even though I am a non-believer. On the other, she believes that I'm going to hell and that she's justified in what she protests.

It's a very surreal experience when chatting with her. Our exchange completely changed my views about her. She's a normal young adult who was brain washed by her parents. She also gave me the feeling that she has struggled with normal life vs the Westboro one. When asked if she ever considered leaving, she said (I paraphrase here) "Of course I have. Every kid goes through those types of thoughts. I think it's a testament to my dedication to God."

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post
22-05-2012, 11:43 AM
(22-05-2012 06:02 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  You know, I chatted with Megan Phelps quite a bit via Twitter. Aside from her dedication to her religion, she is actually quite normal. There's something really strange about this. On one hand, she's extremely polite. She was very, very polite to me even though I am a non-believer. On the other, she believes that I'm going to hell and that she's justified in what she protests.

It's a very surreal experience when chatting with her. Our exchange completely changed my views about her. She's a normal young adult who was brain washed by her parents. She also gave me the feeling that she has struggled with normal life vs the Westboro one. When asked if she ever considered leaving, she said (I paraphrase here) "Of course I have. Every kid goes through those types of thoughts. I think it's a testament to my dedication to God."

I recall that in a Wittgenstein's article he said something about "aspect blindness". Maybe it explains the condition of religious believers.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde