Westboro B C to protest Leonard Nimoy's funeral

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2015, 02:25 PM
RE: Westboro B C to protest Leonard Nimoy's funeral
(09-03-2015 01:47 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(06-03-2015 11:16 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Of course you can distance yourself - as far as I can tell, you don't condone the same behaviors - however, it's hard to understand why when you believe in the very same book that they do that gives the very same instructions. The problem is you want the best of both worlds. You want to maintain your ethical behavior while maintaining a belief that the bible doesn't tell you to do otherwise; when, in fact, it does.

100% wrong? I think not and I wouldn't even make that claim about you. The claim I would make is that many atheists on this site are right about the bible far more than you are.

It is untrue that one can make the Bible say anything. Were I to cook spaghetti and marshmallows, not meatballs, and claim Betty Crocker Cookbook adherence... the Westboro people have no right to do some of what they do.

And of course you'd say TTA atheists know the Bible better than I or interpret better than I, for if I've interpreted it accurately, you and I need to trust Christ or perish. Please trust Jesus for salvation.

It seems strange to me that the most important message ever passed on to us is open to interpretation.
At any rate the Bible is a book of mythology so getting the interpretation wrong has the same consequences as misinterpreting The Odyssey. Perhaps a failed grade or a misunderstanding of the ancient world.
A literal interpretation(whether correct or not) of the Bible and adherence to it however seems pretty dangerous.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2015, 02:27 PM
(09-03-2015 01:47 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It is untrue that one can make the Bible say anything.Were I to cook spaghetti and marshmallows, not meatballs, and claim Betty Crocker Cookbook adherence... the Westboro people have no right to do some of what they do.

That isn't what WBC does. What they do is based on a literal interpretation of the Bible. If you don't think that's correct, then you don't believe in a literal interpretation. But a non-literal interpretation makes no sense because then how could "God" expect us to understand any of it when there are countless non-literal ways to interpret it?

(09-03-2015 01:47 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  And of course you'd say TTA atheists know the Bible better than I or interpret better than I, for if I've interpreted it accurately, you and I need to trust Christ or perish. Please trust Jesus for salvation.

No, I say this based of your discussions here at TTA (an obvious example is your claim right here that WBC isn't correct about what the bible says). Besides, even if you were interpreting it accurately, it would lead me to run from, not trust in Jesus. So that certainly has nothing to do with my reason.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
09-03-2015, 02:27 PM
(09-03-2015 01:47 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(06-03-2015 11:16 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Of course you can distance yourself - as far as I can tell, you don't condone the same behaviors - however, it's hard to understand why when you believe in the very same book that they do that gives the very same instructions. The problem is you want the best of both worlds. You want to maintain your ethical behavior while maintaining a belief that the bible doesn't tell you to do otherwise; when, in fact, it does.

100% wrong? I think not and I wouldn't even make that claim about you. The claim I would make is that many atheists on this site are right about the bible far more than you are.

It is untrue that one can make the Bible say anything. Were I to cook spaghetti and marshmallows, not meatballs, and claim Betty Crocker Cookbook adherence... the Westboro people have no right to do some of what they do.

And of course you'd say TTA atheists know the Bible better than I or interpret better than I, for if I've interpreted it accurately, you and I need to trust Christ or perish. Please trust Jesus for salvation.

You disapprove of homosexuality just like the Westboro people, for the same biblical reasons and scriptures that they do, it's just that you won't go out in public to put on a disgusting display like they do.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-03-2015, 05:55 PM
(09-03-2015 01:47 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It is untrue that one can make the Bible say anything. Were I to cook spaghetti and marshmallows, not meatballs, and claim Betty Crocker Cookbook adherence... the Westboro people have no right to do some of what they do.

So that's an interesting statement there. Can you name an action of the WBC that both (a) is clearly contrary to scripture and (b) has no scriptural support?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
10-03-2015, 10:52 AM
(09-03-2015 02:25 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 01:47 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  It is untrue that one can make the Bible say anything. Were I to cook spaghetti and marshmallows, not meatballs, and claim Betty Crocker Cookbook adherence... the Westboro people have no right to do some of what they do.

It seems strange to me that the most important message ever passed on to us is open to interpretation.
At any rate the Bible is a book of mythology so getting the interpretation wrong has the same consequences as misinterpreting The Odyssey. Perhaps a failed grade or a misunderstanding of the ancient world.
A literal interpretation(whether correct or not) of the Bible and adherence to it however seems pretty dangerous.

But it isn't strange to me, since the Bible itself teaches that it is designed to be a trap for the unwary:

Matthew 13:11 - "Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them."

Jesus spoke in parables to keep atheists out, Christians in. So far, it seems to be working. You may, however, exert your free will if you want to be "in".

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2015, 10:54 AM
(09-03-2015 05:55 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  

So that's an interesting statement there. Can you name an action of the WBC that both (a) is clearly contrary to scripture and (b) has no scriptural support?

How is screaming epithets and protesting VERY loudly at a funeral "treating your fellow man as you wish to be treated"? Jesus also said, "Let the dead bury their own."

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
10-03-2015, 11:04 AM
(10-03-2015 10:54 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  How is screaming epithets and protesting VERY loudly at a funeral "treating your fellow man as you wish to be treated"? Jesus also said, "Let the dead bury their own."

That's not the reason WBC gives for their protests. So it's a strawman. Try again. Drinking Beverage

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
10-03-2015, 12:41 PM
(10-03-2015 11:04 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 10:54 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  How is screaming epithets and protesting VERY loudly at a funeral "treating your fellow man as you wish to be treated"? Jesus also said, "Let the dead bury their own."

That's not the reason WBC gives for their protests. So it's a strawman. Try again. Drinking Beverage

I don't care the reason they give for their protests, to be frank, if they are doing something that violates the highest laws to love God and love your neighbor. I guarantee they wouldn't want atheists screaming at their loved ones' funerals, and I hope someday they'll see this truth. But it's hard to see them as Christians because they are disobeying a "big" law. I know you'll call NTS next, but that's how I see it.

10-03-2015, 02:23 PM
(10-03-2015 12:41 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I don't care the reason they give for their protests, to be frank, if they are doing something that violates the highest laws to love God and love your neighbor. I guarantee they wouldn't want atheists screaming at their loved ones' funerals, and I hope someday they'll see this truth. But it's hard to see them as Christians because they are disobeying a "big" law. I know you'll call NTS next, but that's how I see it.

That's not specifically a Christian law or even one limited to the Abrahamic religions. You chose what is arguably the least biblical verse as your example. In addition, you completely avoided discussing the biblical references to homosexuality that motivates WBC. Why all the tap dancing? Consider

10-03-2015, 06:13 PM
(10-03-2015 10:54 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 05:55 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  So that's an interesting statement there. Can you name an action of the WBC that both (a) is clearly contrary to scripture and (b) has no scriptural support?
How is screaming epithets and protesting VERY loudly at a funeral "treating your fellow man as you wish to be treated"? Jesus also said, "Let the dead bury their own."

So there is no scriptural support for protesting acts God regards as abominations?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.