Westboro B C to protest Leonard Nimoy's funeral

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2015, 12:54 PM
RE: Westboro B C to protest Leonard Nimoy's funeral
(10-03-2015 02:23 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 12:41 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I don't care the reason they give for their protests, to be frank, if they are doing something that violates the highest laws to love God and love your neighbor. I guarantee they wouldn't want atheists screaming at their loved ones' funerals, and I hope someday they'll see this truth. But it's hard to see them as Christians because they are disobeying a "big" law. I know you'll call NTS next, but that's how I see it.

That's not specifically a Christian law or even one limited to the Abrahamic religions. You chose what is arguably the least biblical verse as your example. In addition, you completely avoided discussing the biblical references to homosexuality that motivates WBC. Why all the tap dancing? Consider

It's not a Christian law to do unto others? Interesting, since Jesus gave this admonition. If you prefer, we can say "command".

I'm not shying away from the other issue. I have feeling and philosophies about human sexuality as do you. However, I don't shout them at Leonard Nimoy's internment ceremony. Live long and prosper.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2015, 12:55 PM
(10-03-2015 06:13 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 10:54 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  How is screaming epithets and protesting VERY loudly at a funeral "treating your fellow man as you wish to be treated"? Jesus also said, "Let the dead bury their own."

So there is no scriptural support for protesting acts God regards as abominations?

There is--but specific prophets were called to preach to specific people and specific people groups. Christians are called to preach the gospel.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
11-03-2015, 01:11 PM
(11-03-2015 12:54 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 02:23 PM)Impulse Wrote:  That's not specifically a Christian law or even one limited to the Abrahamic religions. You chose what is arguably the least biblical verse as your example. In addition, you completely avoided discussing the biblical references to homosexuality that motivates WBC. Why all the tap dancing? Consider

It's not a Christian law to do unto others? Interesting, since Jesus gave this admonition. If you prefer, we can say "command".

He means that law isn't limited only to Christian teaching, nor is Christianity the first source of that law.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
11-03-2015, 04:22 PM
(11-03-2015 12:54 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(10-03-2015 02:23 PM)Impulse Wrote:  ...
That's not specifically a Christian law

Hmm, I wonder what that word "specifically" was supposed to mean...? Consider

(11-03-2015 12:54 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm not shying away from the other issue. I have feeling and philosophies about human sexuality as do you. However, I don't shout them at Leonard Nimoy's internment ceremony. Live long and prosper.

And those feelings and philosophies are based in the very same scriptures that WBC follows. You may not agree with the way WBC demonstrates its points, but you agree with the points. And while the scriptures don't say specifically (ooh, there's that word again) to picket funerals, it does say to do other horrible things - worse things - to homosexuals.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
11-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Westboro B C to protest Leonard Nimoy's funeral
Problem is, the WBC sees this as preaching the gospel. Also, they think "love thy neighbor" is showing them the error of their heathen ways.

In their warped little minds, they're doing the Right Thing.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
12-03-2015, 10:47 AM
(11-03-2015 06:14 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Problem is, the WBC sees this as preaching the gospel. Also, they think "love thy neighbor" is showing them the error of their heathen ways.

In their warped little minds, they're doing the Right Thing.

I agree. But I think under their skin, they know they are being petty and vindictive.

12-03-2015, 07:46 PM
(12-03-2015 10:47 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I agree. But I think under their skin, they know they are being petty and vindictive.

There was a time when I gave just about anyone the benefit of the doubt. Then I learned there are some for who that benefit has to be earned. WBC members haven't earned it.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post