Westboro Baptist Church Threatens To 'Super Picket' Aurora Prayer Vigil For Batman Sh

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2012, 02:29 PM
RE: Westboro Baptist Church Threatens To 'Super Picket' Aurora Prayer Vigil For Batman Sh
I still can't figure out what they think they're accomplishing.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-07-2012, 02:34 PM
RE: Westboro Baptist Church Threatens To 'Super Picket' Aurora Prayer Vigil For Batman Sh
(24-07-2012 02:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  I still can't figure out what they think they're accomplishing.

They've already gotten what they were looking for - news coverage and publicity...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post
24-07-2012, 02:49 PM
(24-07-2012 02:34 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  
(24-07-2012 02:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  I still can't figure out what they think they're accomplishing.

They've already gotten what they were looking for - news coverage and publicity...

But to what end?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-07-2012, 02:50 PM
(24-07-2012 02:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-07-2012 02:34 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  They've already gotten what they were looking for - news coverage and publicity...

But to what end?

They don't seem to have one other than to show they are the true Christians.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
24-07-2012, 04:03 PM
It's like they're not even trying anymore.

It's like a troll that eventually gets tired of trolling and just starts flaming because they are bored.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
25-07-2012, 01:21 AM
(24-07-2012 02:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-07-2012 02:34 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  They've already gotten what they were looking for - news coverage and publicity...

But to what end?

You don't ask these kind of questions about retarded people. It's not like they know or understand what they are doing. Poor bastards have no mental capability of understanding. Such a shame and such a waste of oxygen...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
25-07-2012, 01:31 AM
Funny that in the article there is a black kid holding signs.
Considering they hold true to the bible so much I can only conclude that that child is forced
into holding those signs as some twisted sort of sign holding slave.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
25-07-2012, 12:42 PM
heh heh, these guys are so special. I have stopped being shocked by them. The only silver lining with these guys is the really awesome creative counter protest signs some people make. They give me a good laugh.

I am starting to find that WBC is more like that bug that you can't squash, really annoying but not worth the attention. Maybe we should stop giving them attention. I think it could go 2 ways if the world did that, they would either go away or kill someone. And with these nut jobs, you never know.

Red State was such a grate movie, (it's loosely based on WBC, if you haven't seen it by Kevin Smith) I'd love if someone would play a recording of the rapture trumpets really loud outside their church just to see what they would do. (scene from Red State)

I heard that the KKK have even listed WBC as a hate group (HA HA HA) you know you're over the line when.
25-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Actually, I think that for it's size the WBC has had a profound effect for the good. (Not on PURPOSE, but the effect is there all the same.)

Every time the WBC shows up, people pull together. I have friends in a gay men's chorus. They LOVE it when the WBC shows up to protest one of their concerts because it means free publicity and a significant increase in their attendance and sponsorships.

Awhile back, I read a really heartwarming story about a man who'd been born, and lived his whole life in a small, conservative town. He owned a small movie theater there. He'd always had trans-gender issues, but hidden them until one day he decided to dress in drag for some kind of movie event. (a premier, or maybe it was just Halloween, I don't remember) Anyway, he enjoyed it so much, and he was surprised at how little backlash he got, that he started wearing ear-rings, or high heels, or dressing in drag more often. People in the town just took it in stride until one day the Westboro Baptist Church announced that it was going to be picketing his theater. Instead of getting angry, or counter protesting...everybody in town just ignored them and went out to see a movie...but all the MEN in town (over 200 of them) showed up in drag! I wish I could find the story, I'd post a link, but I haven't been able to find it.

The feeling of "solidarity" that we feel (both religious and non-religious alike) when we're all hating the WBC together as a group, has given me some great opportunities to have real, meaningful discussions about the "downside" of religion, with religious people who would otherwise never listen.
[+] 2 users Like imlemuel's post
25-07-2012, 03:24 PM
People are also learning good strategies to deal with them. The last one I read about, everyone in town came and took up all the parking places, and blocked in their cars, and when they called the cops, the cops, said, "sorry, we'd love to help you, but we're just so busy right now".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche