Westboro Baptist Church met its match.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2012, 01:59 PM
RE: Westboro Baptist Church met its match.
(20-04-2012 03:25 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I'm not yet exactly sure what is WBC up to, what their problem is. For a split second I entertained the possibility that they protest on behalf of...
They are a family of qualified lawyers.
They protest government agency (army) because they want retaliation and thus grounds to sue the government, they are hoping to strike the jackpot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2012, 07:16 PM
(21-04-2012 01:59 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-04-2012 03:25 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I'm not yet exactly sure what is WBC up to, what their problem is. For a split second I entertained the possibility that they protest on behalf of...
They are a family of qualified lawyers.
They protest government agency (army) because they want retaliation and thus grounds to sue the government, they are hoping to strike the jackpot.
Really? I think not - they are an anti-gay, antisemitic, fundamentalist cult.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2012, 08:46 PM
(20-04-2012 03:25 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I'm not yet exactly sure what is WBC up to, what their problem is. For a split second I entertained the possibility that they protest on behalf of the invaded nations and against global military imperialism, but we should not make the mistake of projecting our own opinions on those too weak to hold them.

For now I have a hypothesis that they protest at military funerals because military means lots of guys per square meter which somehow inevitably means lots of homosexual intercourse, which God hates, but will do nothing about. (except toasting the gays for eternity in due time, WBC apparently can't wait)

There is not a shred of sense in this hypothesis, so I consider it pretty close to the truth, what do you think?
I prefer your split second hypothesis; surely these people can't be so homophobically and presumptiously insane.

Almost makes Calvinism look sort of respectful. Shocking
22-04-2012, 03:03 AM
(21-04-2012 07:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-04-2012 01:59 PM)Stevil Wrote:  They are a family of qualified lawyers.
Really? I think not - they are an anti-gay, antisemitic, fundamentalist cult.
There is nothing in Fred Phelp's history (prior to the beginning of these protests) to suggest this.
22-04-2012, 06:02 AM
(22-04-2012 03:03 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(21-04-2012 07:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  Really? I think not - they are an anti-gay, antisemitic, fundamentalist cult.
There is nothing in Fred Phelp's history (prior to the beginning of these protests) to suggest this.
He is no longer a lawyer - he was disbarred in Kansas, temporarily enjoined from federal practice, as were two of his children. The case that was the basis of his disbarment in Kansas was clearly a psychotic vendetta waged by him against a court reporter.

I suggest you look a little more closely at his history.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-04-2012, 08:23 PM
(21-04-2012 10:14 AM)Antirepublican Wrote:  Why are you guys happy about this? These religious loons are doing us a favor by displaying how radical and insane religion really is.

I hope they keep doing it for years to come, even if we aren't at war.
yes, they are showing religion's bad side but at the expense of innocent people who gave their life for us. Its just plain disrespectful and I would like it stopped not for religious or political reasons but for the families of those who have to suffer additional pain because of these monstrous people.

"Here's the thing about rights. They're not supposed to be voted on. That's why they call them rights." -Rachel Maddow
23-04-2012, 02:35 AM
Did I get this correctly or did the police participate in all this, as they did not rush to move the blocking vehicles, or when they arrested a few of WBC for questioning?

Excellent. High five for the Fivo-O.

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
23-04-2012, 12:00 PM
(22-04-2012 08:23 PM)J5Panda90 Wrote:  
(21-04-2012 10:14 AM)Antirepublican Wrote:  Why are you guys happy about this? These religious loons are doing us a favor by displaying how radical and insane religion really is.

yes, they are showing religion's bad side but at the expense of innocent people who gave their life for us. Its just plain disrespectful and I would like it stopped not for religious or political reasons but for the families of those who have to suffer additional pain because of these monstrous people.
Those people are dead, pretty sure they don't care.

Why would the families bother listening? People say crazy insensitive shit all the time. For example, every time there is a huge gun incident, the NRA likes to go to the town set up camp and have a nice rally. And we have a huge portion of our country backing this fucktards up....
24-04-2012, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 24-04-2012 01:00 PM by kim.)
(22-04-2012 06:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-04-2012 03:03 AM)Stevil Wrote:  There is nothing in Fred Phelp's history (prior to the beginning of these protests) to suggest this.
He is no longer a lawyer - he was disbarred in Kansas, temporarily enjoined from federal practice, as were two of his children. The case that was the basis of his disbarment in Kansas was clearly a psychotic vendetta waged by him against a court reporter.

I suggest you look a little more closely at his history.

Yea, he was disbarred back in the late 70s early 80s, but I think 4 or 5 of his children still practice - a few have been suspended several times for various things, but after their suspensions are up, they continue to practice.

Believe it or not, Phelps has even tried to run for democratic office in Kansas.. and I know he's run for mayor of Topeka.

Shirley Phelps-Roper is Fred's daughter and a crackerjack lawyer - she frequently appears on YouTube and any talk show that will have her. Living in Kansas... we pretty much just ignore them and hope they all die real soon.
I got to meet his Son, Nate Phelps a couple of years ago - he's just the sweetest, kindest man, considering all he's been through. He really woke me up to the serious abuse that children and adults continue to suffer at the hands of Theist extremists. I think he lives in Canada now, but he does travel and speak at free thought conventions and to atheist groups. I believe there is a documentary about him where you can see yours truly peeking around a corner, intently watching him talk... kind of hope they clip that snippet of film. Dodgy
________

Odd isn't it? Such a hate filled person ... who once received awards from the NAACP for his work on behalf of black people, and his role in the civil rights movement.

Fucking lunatic.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
26-04-2012, 10:29 AM

Yeah. But they do need their nose slapped a time or two to clear the snot out of it!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade