Westboro Baptist Church to Protest Elizabeth Edwards Funeral

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2010, 06:54 PM

Westboro Baptist Church to Protest Elizabeth Edwards Funeral
CBS News Article

Unbelievable! However, I think they bit off more than they can chew with this one. In order to protest they have to be given a permit. And given this is the wife of a former Senator, it just may get very interesting considering the officials that one would think will be in attendance and that of course would mean, secret service or others who would have little tolerance for such blatant disrespect.
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2010, 08:37 PM
RE: Westboro Baptist Church to Protest Elizabeth Edwards Funeral
Interesting view point given statements on following the Constitution in the DADT senate vote thread. Sadly, these mental pygmies have a Constitutional right to assemble and speak their mind. The fact that she was married to a former US Senator not only does not diminish their right but if probably augments the need to protect their speech. My guess is they will be given a permit that allows them to get within some reasonable distance of the funeral. Government can put reasonable restrictions on the time, place and manner of speech but they can't prevent them from being heard, nor should they be able to.

Standing up for the freedoms of people you agree with is the easy part. Defending the rights of asshats like the Phelps family and their "church" is where the battle lines are drawn on freedom and civil liberties.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2010, 09:07 PM

RE: Westboro Baptist Church to Protest Elizabeth Edwards Funeral
It's not a matter of stopping them from speaking. It's a matter of proximity, wherein their hate speech is permitted (pun intended) to be heard.

They're certainly free to example themselves as lowlife assholes. Absolutely. I'll not be one of those pandering simps who says, and I'd die to insure they have the right to speak, because I afford my life more worth than needing to sacrifice it when, if they want to spit hate they can sacrifice for the right themselves. Especially when their mission is to spit and rail against the country and the rights afforded every American, as they condemn this country wherein they continue to reside and enjoy the rights that permit them to disrespect it's very existence.

I'm glad you find my opinions interesting. It's unfortunate that you can't see the difference between arguing for equal rights for gays, and condemning hate filled bigots who believe they are entitled to disrespect Mrs. Edwards and her grieving family, with their caterwauling and hate speech.
As I said, it's a matter of proximity. They are certainly by law, entitled to speak. They are not entitled by law, to spit hate in close proximity to the funeral. As the permit process clearly demonstrates. They could be given a permit to screech their disgusting hate filled diatribe a mile from the funeral and their Constitutional rights would be assured.
But there is no law that says they are entitled to be on the private property of the church, nor close to it, to do so.
That's the beautiful thing about freedoms. Freedom to speak, freedom not to have to suffer hate speech, as hate speech laws so finely example.
Quote this message in a reply