Westboro Baptist Church to picket Paul Walker's funeral

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Westboro Baptist Church to picket Paul Walker's funeral
This post has nothing to do with Paul Walker. At least it has nothing to do with why I posted it. Watch the video in the link -->here <-- and watch how these two discuss how twisted the Westboro Baptist Church gets religion and Christianity wrong. I can't help but listen to what they say, and think, all these things they are saying "God" and religion are not, is exactly what "God" and religion is. It's why it upsets us all so much, because they are actually getting it right, if the religious actually followed their book. And even if most Christians aren't this bad, the collectively let enough of these bits and pieces into our socity that it infects it all.

What do you think? Does not their discription of what "God' and religion is, actually depicts what the "God" of the bible exactly is? Do they not actually exaclty state the point of those who reject this idea of "God"?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2013, 12:05 PM
RE: Westboro Baptist Church to picket Paul Walker's funeral
It's a good way to complain about the lunatic fringe group without really talking any specifics about what they (moderate Christians) believe. They believe their God isn't vengeful, despite the Bible blatantly saying he is. Some of them will write off those parts of the Bible (there are lots of ways to do this and feel you're being honest) to make themselves more comfortable in their belief.

This is good, in that it is slowly eroding fundamentalism and that there will be fewer and fewer people voting to take away people's rights for religious reasons. It's bad, because it doesn't address the notion of believing in very weird things with no basis or evidence and legitimizes such behavior. I'd rather live next to a moderate Christian than a fundy (hell, I'm married to a quite liberal Christian), but they still believe in silly things.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
04-12-2013, 12:52 PM
I dislike how fundamentalist Churches interpret the Bible, I really do. In don't think how they depict God is at all accurate, nor His teachings. And the reason is that they read and to interpret the Bible like many atheists do. Let me explain. Both tend to read the Bible and take it on face value and read it through the eyes of their own experience rather than an understanding of what it's saying. For example, turn to passages about menstration and we get 'women are dirty' without considering it in the wider context of all the other cleanliness laws and why they were put in place. Or read Paul's advice on women's speaking in church without asking the questions within the context of a gentile ministry of a Jewish faith, cultural context, expectations of the second coming, etc. What I mean is that they tend to interpret in isolation and so miss the point of or even worse read what they want it to say, not what it does. When this is done in a fundamentalist Church, it is so damaging not only to the faith, but to the faith of the people there.

I think to see fundamentalist churches as 'the true followers of the Bible' on the basis that they have a blanket literal interpretation of the Bible is too much of an easy generalisation and I'd have to ask whether saying this is because they actually are 'getting it right' or because such a position makes a criticism against Christianity easier.
04-12-2013, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2013 01:31 PM by grizzlysnake.)
(04-12-2013 12:52 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  I dislike how fundamentalist Churches interpret the Bible, I really do. In don't think how they depict God is at all accurate, nor His teachings. And the reason is that they read and to interpret the Bible like many atheists do. Let me explain. Both tend to read the Bible and take it on face value and read it through the eyes of their own experience rather than an understanding of what it's saying. For example, turn to passages about menstration and we get 'women are dirty' without considering it in the wider context of all the other cleanliness laws and why they were put in place. Or read Paul's advice on women's speaking in church without asking the questions within the context of a gentile ministry of a Jewish faith, cultural context, expectations of the second coming, etc. What I mean is that they tend to interpret in isolation and so miss the point of or even worse read what they want it to say, not what it does. When this is done in a fundamentalist Church, it is so damaging not only to the faith, but to the faith of the people there.

I think to see fundamentalist churches as 'the true followers of the Bible' on the basis that they have a blanket literal interpretation of the Bible is too much of an easy generalisation and I'd have to ask whether saying this is because they actually are 'getting it right' or because such a position makes a criticism against Christianity easier.
What you say does make a lot of sense although how can they or we know which part is to be taken as literal, metaphor, allegory or other literary conventions? There is no one way to interpret the bible, 40,000 christian denominations can attest to this. How does the average person go on to decipher this? They aren't biblical scholars or study the origins of the Bible. I wholeheartedly agree that literal interpretations and applying them to the modern world is dangerous in many ways. That usually is the focus of many arguments you'll find here.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
04-12-2013, 01:38 PM
(04-12-2013 12:52 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  What I mean is that they tend to interpret in isolation and so miss the point of or even worse read what they want it to say, not what it does. When this is done in a fundamentalist Church, it is so damaging not only to the faith, but to the faith of the people there.

They read what they want it to say as opposed to you reading what you want it to say? You mean like that? Uh huh, I get it. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
04-12-2013, 01:58 PM
(04-12-2013 12:52 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  I dislike how fundamentalist Churches interpret the Bible, I really do. In don't think how they depict God is at all accurate, nor His teachings. And the reason is that they read and to interpret the Bible like many atheists do. Let me explain. Both tend to read the Bible and take it on face value and read it through the eyes of their own experience rather than an understanding of what it's saying. For example, turn to passages about menstration and we get 'women are dirty' without considering it in the wider context of all the other cleanliness laws and why they were put in place. Or read Paul's advice on women's speaking in church without asking the questions within the context of a gentile ministry of a Jewish faith, cultural context, expectations of the second coming, etc. What I mean is that they tend to interpret in isolation and so miss the point of or even worse read what they want it to say, not what it does. When this is done in a fundamentalist Church, it is so damaging not only to the faith, but to the faith of the people there.

You mention the degrading treatment of women in scripture, so no need to point that out. What about the rape, slavery, genocide, and discrimination found in the book also. Am I mistaken to "take it on face value and read it through the eyes of their own experience rather than an understanding of what it's saying"? Well Yas, if you know better please tell me what the message is and what is really says. After two times through the book I must have missed the overall message - what a dope I am.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
04-12-2013, 02:03 PM
The only information we have depicting this god character is in the bible, so how can you be accurate other than referencing this collection of divinely inpired accounts? Could it be from Rumors? hearsay? fables? I don't think those sources would hold much weight in approaching accuracy.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
04-12-2013, 02:10 PM
WBC doing stupid shit again? What a shocker.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
04-12-2013, 02:47 PM
(04-12-2013 01:38 PM)kim Wrote:  
(04-12-2013 12:52 PM)Yasmin Wrote:  What I mean is that they tend to interpret in isolation and so miss the point of or even worse read what they want it to say, not what it does. When this is done in a fundamentalist Church, it is so damaging not only to the faith, but to the faith of the people there.

They read what they want it to say as opposed to you reading what you want it to say? You mean like that? Uh huh, I get it. Drinking Beverage

I accented your point a little more for you. Because it just so happens to accent the point that I myself was making by making this post. Ironically, exactly the point I was making.

[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
04-12-2013, 03:09 PM
These people are nutters, plain and simple!