Westboro Baptists at it again

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2011, 08:15 AM
RE: Westboro Baptists at it again
these kind of people sickens me.. I cant even find a word to begin with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2011, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2011 03:32 PM by Lilith Pride.)
I've never understood how this organization is allowed to speak. But yeah wings and a few other costumes are common props in countering their hate messages. Many times they aren't protesting anything about the dead individual. It can be that they had a family member that westborough dislikes, or even that westborough feels the death was not a mournful event. With people who go this far it makes no sense to allow them freedom they are obviously oppressing people in mourning. Put them in jail and don't let the media discuss their imprisonment. It should never be acceptable to protest a funeral. There is supposed to be a limit to freedom of speech, because if you allow it complete zionic rule then people can freely opress others simply by not acgtually acting. Children in schools are still taught that doing something like yelling fire in a not burning building is not covered by freedom of speech, due to the fact it simply creates disorder and can lead to serious harm. I wish people could understand more, yes everyone is entitle to their opinion, and some of those opinions are horrible, but there is a time and a place. Freedom of speech should not allow people to trample on other people's rights.

EDIT: This group is a huge contention with me, and my statement about them not being allowed to speak was supposed to be about the funeral protesting business, sometimes you just get so bothered by people your view is marred by your words.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
20-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Lilith

This is the first time I've completely disagree with you. Rights are defined on the margins and it's the people who you don't agree with that deserve the most protection in a free society. You're not allowed to yell "fire" in a crowded theater because of the potential for immediate harm. It's the action that is prevented, not the content of the speech. Once you get into a situation where you want to jail someone for content, you've cross a line into oppression and fascism. The essence of free speech is the notion of disagreeing with what someone has to say but fighting for their right to say it. These jackwads from the Westboro church absolutely have a rights to speak their minds and voice their opinions without fear of repression or persecution.

Whether they should be allowed to do so at a funeral is a different matter and what is an appropriate distance is something that reasonable minds can disagree on. But ,the idea that they should be jailed for their actions is, to me, abhorrent.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-02-2011, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2011 03:53 PM by Lilith Pride.)
I was discussing speaking at a funeral not their rights to speak. And I just feel that there are certain actions which should not be tolerated. Sorry to dissapoint you BnW (I posted without reflecting), but the people they hurt by protesting a funeral have nothing to do with what they are protesting. Let them protest all they like, but at a different place than this. I'll defend their rights to speak. But I will never defend a right to target the mourning family of something they dislike, and attack them verbally at a moment of weakness.

I give people I don't agree with room in most occasions, but this isn't about making a statement on an issue or convincing people, this is just about lashing out at the victims. They can protest me all they like throughout my life for all I care. Spit at me and be contemptful, but what reason do they have to attack my family who does not share my views simply because they feel bad I'm dead? There is nothing peaceful about funeral protests, it's horribly oppressing to be verbally abused for being upset about a death.

My opening line was discussing the fact that this is their normal way of speaking. Sorry for being vague previously, I just really despise this group.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Westboro Baptist Church met its match. kingschosen 19 1,387 26-04-2012 10:29 AM
Last Post: Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver
  Westboro Vs Anonymous Zetsuei 41 2,640 06-03-2011 08:53 PM
Last Post: gaglamesh731
  Westboro Baptist Church to Protest Elizabeth Edwards Funeral GassyKitten 2 373 09-12-2010 09:07 PM
Last Post: GassyKitten