Westboro is coming to my college

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Westboro is coming to my college
The infamous Westboro Baptist Church is coming to protest at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. It all started when a professor, an expert on extremist fundamentalist cults, had a huge brain fart by inviting one of the leaders here for an interview. The Dean caught hell--because it appeared as if it was school sanctioned--when the story was published in the school paper. This resulted in the leader being told that he was banned from coming to campus. The only problem was that those involved had already purchased tickets, so they are coming on October 25 to protest the school. The school cannot legally bar them from coming since this is a public campus.

I would really like to know what was going through that professor's head when he thought of the interview. He should have had the presence of mind to realize that something like this could happen as a consequence. It's like he was playing with matches. He struck a single match, but accidentally dropped the match into a pile of leaves. I'm sure he didn't mean for this to happen, but it did. I think he should be reprimanded in some way. He shouldn't necessarily be fired, but a tap on the hand is not good enough.

I hate Westboro with a passion. It boils my blood when I see them protest at the funerals of dead soldiers because I served in the U.S. Army 82nd Airborne Division. Their views on homosexuality don't sit well with me either because I have a gay uncle. They are nothing short of a hate group. It pisses me off even more to know that they will be on my college campus. I definitely will be steering clear of where ever they are going to be because I feel like they get too much attention from the media and general public as it is. Any energy that I could spend on counter-protesting them would be better spent on my studies. Besides, shouting at a hate-spewing bigot who is separated from me by several meters is not the same as having them by the shirt collar and getting ready to drill them with my patented "Shaolin Death Punch".

I've heard that they are going to drive up to Ohio State University to protest there while in the state. I hope there is one of those counter-protests that encircle them. I laugh whenever I see that on the news.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2011, 10:13 AM
RE: Westboro is coming to my college
These people are glory hounds, nothing more. They crave attention and the worst thing you can do is give it to them. There was the group that put on the angle wins and circled around them but said absolutely nothing. I think it was very effective the first time it happened after Mathew Sheppard was murdered but my guess is the Westboro morons are prepared for that now.

The best thing you and Miami, OH can do is stay away from them. Give them no crowds, no counter protests, no TV or radio, etc. Make like it never happened. If more people treated them like that they would fade away.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like BnW's post
03-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Would be a shame if someone found their bus at a stop 100 miles from their destination wouldn't it?

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
03-10-2011, 10:17 AM
One of my biggest annoyances with these people is that the provoke and EVERYONE reacts. That's what they want. I agree wholeheartedly with BnW....

Don't react to them.

However, I think that it would be interesting to hear a one on one interview with them, so I don't blame the professor from inviting them regardless of the circus that they come with. It's always fascinating to me to watch these people talk in a quiet and closed off environment. The crazy is palpable.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
03-10-2011, 10:17 AM
(03-10-2011 10:13 AM)BnW Wrote:  These people are glory hounds, nothing more. They crave attention and the worst thing you can do is give it to them. There was the group that put on the angle wins and circled around them but said absolutely nothing. I think it was very effective the first time it happened after Mathew Sheppard was murdered but my guess is the Westboro morons are prepared for that now.

The best thing you and Miami, OH can do is stay away from them. Give them no crowds, no counter protests, no TV or radio, etc. Make like it never happened. If more people treated them like that they would fade away.
That's why I said I was steering clear of them.
03-10-2011, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 10:35 AM by defacto7.)
I agree with the stay away without a doubt.

Maybe you and others could organize a "stay away" event of some sort.... kind of a "shun Westboro" campaign... maybe an information blitz before they arrive to get everyone to ignore them. No looks, no sneers, no smiles, no attention, no nothing whatsoever, just a big blank. They don't exist. Now that would stick in their craw!

Ask the media to do the same or at least to not cover it with cameras or interviews... not that they would listen but who knows, maybe they would.

That is your only defense that I can see.

Just get involved....

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
03-10-2011, 10:43 AM
They are attention whores nothing more. If everyone started to ignore them one of two things would happen, either they would go away or they would do some massive stunt to gain publicity my bet would be murder, they have that kind of cult vibe going for them.

I would suggest you wear a "hail satan" tshirt and stand next to them like this guy.    

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
03-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Don't be surprised if they all wind up dead with a sword through their stomachs.....just saying.

On an unrealatd note. I just bought a bunch of high quality bastard swords.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
03-10-2011, 12:31 PM
It's probably a better idea to just burn down your school and hitch hike across america until you find yourself. I won't tell.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
03-10-2011, 09:19 PM
(03-10-2011 10:13 AM)BnW Wrote:  The best thing you and Miami, OH can do is stay away from them. Give them no crowds, no counter protests, no TV or radio, etc. Make like it never happened. If more people treated them like that they would fade away.

I dunno. I think I might make sure the campus ROTC knows about it. They could show up in class A's and just stand there stoically silent at parade rest while the pricks hurl insults and defamations at them. Might make for a productive counterpoint.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.