Westboro is coming to my college

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2011, 05:24 AM
RE: Westboro is coming to my college
If I had a problem with your ideas I would have said so. I was just responding to defacto7 because he was making wild-ass assumptions.

As for the stinkbombs, the ammonia trick worked just fine.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2011, 05:34 AM
Yeah, that ammoniac trick is the same thing, works like a charm...

Smile

But don't discard defacto7's ideas, he does have a point there. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but this kind of people do deserve "The Ignore Button" and that is not "doing nothing". But I like the stink-attack more that ignore.

Peace.

P.S.
So did you really do that ammoniac trick? Or was it someone else? Because I would buy the beer for that person as well.

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
07-10-2011, 07:36 AM
(07-10-2011 05:34 AM)Filox Wrote:  Yeah, that ammoniac trick is the same thing, works like a charm...

Smile

But don't discard defacto7's ideas, he does have a point there. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but this kind of people do deserve "The Ignore Button" and that is not "doing nothing". But I like the stink-attack more that ignore.

Peace.

P.S.
So did you really do that ammoniac trick? Or was it someone else? Because I would buy the beer for that person as well.

Smile
WBC shouldn't be ignored, they should be countered. And, as I said, that doesn't automatically mean shouting back. A counter-demonstration can be most effective when the contrast in styles is the greatest. It certainly give the media a chance to say, "St. Louisans came out in force to show that they did not agree with WBC. We had a chance to speak with a few of them..." If we weren't there, they would have had only the haters.

And the cops bought the beers, thank you for the offer. (A lot of them know me for reasons I won't go into on the web.)
07-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Over the years, I've come around to the "ignore 'em" side. Sure the WBC is vile, disgusting, outrageous . . . but they're pretty harmless. Think about it. How many people have they converted to their side? Virtually no one. Their church is a tiny, tawdry affair peopled mainly by members of their crazy family. They're universally reviled. (The Phelpses have been called "the most hated family in America.") They have zero influence. IF they were just gay-haters, they'd win a lot of cretins to their cause. But since they're also anti-military, their support is nil. They remain the equivalent of a pathetic, deformed animal: hard to look at but not a threat to anyone.

Counter-demonstrations are counter-productive. They wind up doing the opposite of their goal: they add a measure of legitimacy to the WBC's crap. Suppose members of the Flat Earth Society organized a demonstration on campus. Should the physics department respond with a counter-demonstration, presenting evidence that the earth is round? Wouldn't the "need to respond" approach lend credibility to a wacky idea that no one except a tiny handful of kooks takes seriously? Wouldn't a better response be to ignore the nuts? My point is not that the WBC's propaganda is as harmless as claiming the earth is flat, only that it has about the same chance of influencing the populace. In fact, they may be doing us a favor by providing an example of how ridiculous and disgusting religion can be.

Since there's nothing we can legally do to stop them, better just leave them be. Walk by without looking at them. Or keep away from where they are. They thrive on attention, the same kind of fascination that makes rubber-neckers stare at a gory traffic accident. Deprive them of that attention and they're more likely to go away.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
08-10-2011, 01:01 AM
Tough the church may be tiny it can still cause unimaginable amounts of rage in people. I will not actively seek them out to harm them as they have not harmed me. If they were to show up at loved ones funeral....I'd kill them, ALL of them, on the spot. I'd not even fell bad about it. I don't consider them people it's as simple as that.

Back to the issue at hand. INstead of stink bombs or amonia try a more crafty approach. Set up an atheist convention or a magic show or something equaly offensive on the same day and in the same area. A concert would even work. Just take some initiative (I don't know if I spelled that right) and plan some kind of get together. It would be funny. That way you would tecnicaly be ignoring them while at the same time pissing them off tremendously. Just an idea.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
08-10-2011, 06:50 AM
There is discussion here of establishing a "Flying Squadron" of folks from all disciplines to hold a counter-protest if they come back to St. Loser. Atheists, theists, public servants, educators, etc., would be holding forth at an impromptu meeting near to, but not overlapping, the WBC, giving counters to their propaganda. I am watching this with interest.
11-10-2011, 01:02 AM
You should be thankful you get to experience the privilege of getting protested by WBC.

Honestly, if Westboro Baptist Church is protesting against you, you must have done something right. Hating you is the greatest compliment WBC can provide.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one
[+] 3 users Like Michael's post
24-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Well, tomorrow is the big day. I'll let you guys know what went down.
26-10-2011, 01:36 PM
(24-10-2011 02:22 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Well, tomorrow is the big day. I'll let you guys know what went down.

Hope you got some pics too.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
31-10-2011, 09:56 AM
(24-10-2011 02:22 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Well, tomorrow is the big day. I'll let you guys know what went down.

So what happened?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.