Whaddaya think of this religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Whaddaya think of this religion
Ok, this is how someone on facebook describes a religious ritual her family goes through. I have no idea what religion this is.

Quote:Let me explain to everyone what goes on during this celebration. Kwang is celebrated every three years. It's when the spirit comes into the living world takes over the medium ' s body for a short period of time and they drink, smoke, just like any party etc. It's the way to honor our ancestors that has been here taking care, watching over, protecting the living family. They tie white yarn on our wrist n bless us for good health, longevity, n prosperity. All the drinking the spirit does while inhabiting the chosen family member doesn't affect that person when the spirit leaves. You would think the living family member would get alcohol poisoning from all that liquor they consume but it doesn't at all. It's like they never drink anything n during that time they don't know n don't remember anything while their body is being borrowed during the ceremony. Hope you guys understand what I'm saying. It's the best way I know how to explain it.

This festivity goes on for two days. There is a pole in the middle of the room with stuff tied to it that has meaning - I saw bananas, cloths of various colors and unidentifiable items. People are dancing and kneeling in front of someone and getting blessed. There is a huge tub with bottles (of liquor?).

Does anyone know what this is?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2016, 05:41 PM
RE: Whaddaya think of this religion
Have never heard of it, but it sounds like a hell of a good time!
05-03-2016, 06:11 PM
(05-03-2016 05:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  
Quote:Let me explain to everyone what goes on during this celebration. Kwang is celebrated every three years. It's when the spirit comes into the living world takes over the medium ' s body for a short period of time and they drink, smoke, just like any party etc. It's the way to honor our ancestors that has been here taking care, watching over, protecting the living family. They tie white yarn on our wrist n bless us for good health, longevity, n prosperity. All the drinking the spirit does while inhabiting the chosen family member doesn't affect that person when the spirit leaves. You would think the living family member would get alcohol poisoning from all that liquor they consume but it doesn't at all. It's like they never drink anything n during that time they don't know n don't remember anything while their body is being borrowed during the ceremony. Hope you guys understand what I'm saying. It's the best way I know how to explain it.

This festivity goes on for two days. There is a pole in the middle of the room with stuff tied to it that has meaning - I saw bananas, cloths of various colors and unidentifiable items. People are dancing and kneeling in front of someone and getting blessed. There is a huge tub with bottles (of liquor?).

I've never heard of it referred to as "Kwang" before, but this sounds similar to some Haitian voodoo traditions. Loa possessing (generally referred to as "riding") worshipers and being treated as the guests of honor at the resulting bacchanal has been part of that religion for centuries now.

Note that I have no idea whether or not this person actually practices voodoo. It's entirely possible that they just made it up, because, again, I've never heard it called "Kwang" before. But that's the closest thing that I can think of.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
05-03-2016, 06:21 PM
(05-03-2016 06:11 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 05:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  This festivity goes on for two days. There is a pole in the middle of the room with stuff tied to it that has meaning - I saw bananas, cloths of various colors and unidentifiable items. People are dancing and kneeling in front of someone and getting blessed. There is a huge tub with bottles (of liquor?).

I've never heard of it referred to as "Kwang" before, but this sounds similar to some Haitian voodoo traditions. Loa possessing (generally referred to as "riding") worshipers and being treated as the guests of honor at the resulting bacchanal has been part of that religion for centuries now.

Note that I have no idea whether or not this person actually practices voodoo. It's entirely possible that they just made it up, because, again, I've never heard it called "Kwang" before. But that's the closest thing that I can think of.

Can you get me an invite?
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
05-03-2016, 06:32 PM
(05-03-2016 05:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, this is how someone on facebook describes a religious ritual her family goes through. I have no idea what religion this is.

I have to wonder if ingesting magic mushrooms or toad licking is involved. Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-03-2016, 06:34 PM
(05-03-2016 06:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 05:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, this is how someone on facebook describes a religious ritual her family goes through. I have no idea what religion this is.

I have to wonder if ingesting magic mushrooms or toad licking is involved. Consider

Toad licking killed my 112 lb dog, of course he probably did a bit of biting and other stuff too!
05-03-2016, 07:20 PM
So basically the exact opposite of Mormonism. Cool Cool

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
05-03-2016, 07:48 PM
(05-03-2016 06:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

...don't bogart that toad, my friend...
05-03-2016, 09:10 PM
Kwang. The sound of a chicken sandwich crashing into a thin sheet of metal.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 4 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
05-03-2016, 09:16 PM
(05-03-2016 09:10 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Kwang. The sound of a chicken sandwich crashing into a thin sheet of metal.

Best. Onomatopoeia. Ever.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post