Whaddaya think of this religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2016, 10:25 PM
RE: Whaddaya think of this religion
(05-03-2016 09:16 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(05-03-2016 09:10 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Kwang. The sound of a chicken sandwich crashing into a thin sheet of metal.

Best. Onomatopoeia. Ever.

But only if it was steel. If it was sheet aluminum, it would have been more of a "kwank". I still love your answer, BTW. It is quite seldom that I see anyone mention onomatopoeia, let alone use it correctly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
06-03-2016, 05:54 AM
Who is this Pole who is dressed so strangely in the middle getting a blow job????

Szuchow??? Ohmy

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
07-03-2016, 06:54 AM
I don't know what it is.

As far as the actual thread title, I guess my thoughts on the religion depend on how much the "medium" typically imbibes. Because we all know the person's body is totally metabolizing the alcohol, regardless of what the adherents claim. If they drink enough to harm/kill the person, I'll chalk this one right up with snake handling. Part of me wants to say that if someone wants to harm/kill themselves over their wacky beliefs, whatever. The other part of me feels really sorry for anyone who gets tricked/pressured into doing so.
07-03-2016, 08:03 AM
(07-03-2016 06:54 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I don't know what it is.

As far as the actual thread title, I guess my thoughts on the religion depend on how much the "medium" typically imbibes. Because we all know the person's body is totally metabolizing the alcohol, regardless of what the adherents claim. If they drink enough to harm/kill the person, I'll chalk this one right up with snake handling. Part of me wants to say that if someone wants to harm/kill themselves over their wacky beliefs, whatever. The other part of me feels really sorry for anyone who gets tricked/pressured into doing so.

That was my thought, too. The medium in this case seems to be an older woman - I am assuming she wouldn't be drinking the amounts young people would in such a situation. Little sips instead of huge gulps. There is food there also, so maybe the effect is not that serious....I hope.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-03-2016, 09:40 AM
(07-03-2016 08:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  That was my thought, too. The medium in this case seems to be an older woman - I am assuming she wouldn't be drinking the amounts young people would in such a situation. Little sips instead of huge gulps. There is food there also, so maybe the effect is not that serious....I hope.

Wow, this is even more dumb than I originally thought. Their first step is to give a person small amounts of alcohol, then afterward, they declare "the spirit has left" and are astounded when the person isn't drunk?

Weird.

I guess this is only one or two degrees weirder than any board game and beer parties I host.
07-03-2016, 09:48 AM
(07-03-2016 09:40 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 08:03 AM)Dom Wrote:  That was my thought, too. The medium in this case seems to be an older woman - I am assuming she wouldn't be drinking the amounts young people would in such a situation. Little sips instead of huge gulps. There is food there also, so maybe the effect is not that serious....I hope.

Wow, this is even more dumb than I originally thought. Their first step is to give a person small amounts of alcohol, then afterward, they declare "the spirit has left" and are astounded when the person isn't drunk?

Weird.

I guess this is only one or two degrees weirder than any board game and beer parties I host.

Well, I saw a clip of this, and she was - tipsy. She does have to last 2 days straight, so she can't be fall-down drunk in an hour.

They seemed to have fun. Dancing was more like a bouncy walk with a lot of arm and hand movement. The hand moves impressed me - very graceful.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-03-2016, 04:13 PM
(05-03-2016 05:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  Ok, this is how someone on facebook describes a religious ritual her family goes through. I have no idea what religion this is.

Quote:Let me explain to everyone what goes on during this celebration. Kwang is celebrated every three years. It's when the spirit comes into the living world takes over the medium ' s body for a short period of time and they drink, smoke, just like any party etc. It's the way to honor our ancestors that has been here taking care, watching over, protecting the living family. They tie white yarn on our wrist n bless us for good health, longevity, n prosperity. All the drinking the spirit does while inhabiting the chosen family member doesn't affect that person when the spirit leaves. You would think the living family member would get alcohol poisoning from all that liquor they consume but it doesn't at all. It's like they never drink anything n during that time they don't know n don't remember anything while their body is being borrowed during the ceremony. Hope you guys understand what I'm saying. It's the best way I know how to explain it.

This festivity goes on for two days. There is a pole in the middle of the room with stuff tied to it that has meaning - I saw bananas, cloths of various colors and unidentifiable items. People are dancing and kneeling in front of someone and getting blessed. There is a huge tub with bottles (of liquor?).

Does anyone know what this is?

Festivus?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-03-2016, 04:22 PM
(07-03-2016 09:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 09:40 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Wow, this is even more dumb than I originally thought. Their first step is to give a person small amounts of alcohol, then afterward, they declare "the spirit has left" and are astounded when the person isn't drunk?

Weird.

Well, I saw a clip of this, and she was - tipsy. She does have to last 2 days straight, so she can't be fall-down drunk in an hour.

They seemed to have fun. Dancing was more like a bouncy walk with a lot of arm and hand movement. The hand moves impressed me - very graceful.

Quote: during that time they don't know n don't remember anything while their body is being borrowed during the ceremony.

Yeah.......

All in all, it sounds a hella more fun than most religious rituals.

[Image: 1a54232fca9334e8ec836575b3fe0f3fd89c2414...daa184.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition