What’s the point of “God”?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2013, 12:37 AM
That’s it. The whole question is in the subject header. What is the point of “God”?

I mean, obviously there isn’t one, but from a Christian’s perspective, considering they do believe, what is the point, or purpose, or reason for “God”? Now I know the first thing they would say would be, something like, “he’s eternal” or “because he loves us” or “so that he could create us”, or some other non-answer.

My question is not, why did “God” create us, or how was “God” made. My question is, why? What is the purpose of a “God”, in the first place, universe aside. A universe, without a “god”, doesn’t require an explanation of why. How maybe, but not a why.

But, as Christians believe all things have a purpose, and an answer of why, not just how, under a universe with a “God”…then why “God” in the first place, rather that no “God”? For example, an answer of, “God needed to exist to create the universe” answers, (where it true, which it is not) what was necessary for the universe to exist, according to Christian mythos. But that does not explain why “God” in the first place.

What is the purpose of “God”? It just doesn’t make any sense. I really don’t know if I’m explaining the heart of my question well. It might be one of those things where, you yourself understand what you’re thinking so clearly its hard to tell if it’s not coming across. But this is a question I got stuck on at age seven and, for me, nothing else in religion could make sense unless I could get past this part. What is the point of there even being a “God” to begin with? There’s just this “God” who exist, just floating in eternal nothingness, for no apparent rhyme or reason, doing nothing for infinite time before getting to creating the universe. Just there existing,…for…the purpose of just…existing... Why?!

And then, even when “he” does create it all…still, why? I know Christians will say, “Because he loved us before he even knew us” or some other nonsensical thing. I mean, I could kind of understand if “God” where a more petty, humanistic “god” like the Greco-Roman “gods” that where more just like giant, powerful, immortal people really. Still doesn’t explain the “why” of it’s existence, in the first place, part…but an petty human like “god” would make a little more sense as to why create people to play with. But an all powerful, knowledgeable, eternal, creator “God” that the bible would have us believe? Or at least the parts that doesn’t clearly actually make him a completely petty, humanistic “god”. But as far as Christians want to believe “him” to be as this all powerful unlimited thing, what would be the motivations to doing any of it. Some would say, “he” created us because “he” wanted to have a relationship with us. An entity capable of taking nonexistence, and turning it into and all of physical reality, wants a relationship? That doesn’t make any sense.

When I was I kid thinking about this, the best I could ponder was this image of “him” floating around in nothingness, for some unknown reason, for infinite time, with nothing to do, because there was quite literally…nothing, thinking to “himself”, “I’m bored! I’ve been floating around for infinity with nothing to do or even think about, because there is no existence to think about or do. Maybe I’ll just create reality so that I can have something to do with my infinite time”. Then “he” created people, because “he” was bored, then got mad at them for some reason, and cares who they have sex with or what animal they burn. For what reason? Boredom? I sometimes think of this “bored” version of “God” and think of “him” looking down on the earth…or up on it, depending on how you look at it, and thinking, “I’m still bored…I know everything, so nothing is interesting or entertaining, because I already know it”. Then I just envision him giving up and aimlessly floating invisibly through space with no purpose because what could possibly interest him? He probably wishes he could die because he’s so bored.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
13-10-2013, 12:46 AM
'God' stems from a desire to have someone else make all the decisions in one's life.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
[+] 1 user Likes Crimson Flyboy's post
13-10-2013, 12:49 AM
RE: What’s the point of “God”?
In a conversation with a theist friend, she asked me, "Think about it...if you were God wouldn't you want to know people loved you because you knew they had free will to choose not to, not because they had to?"

I said, "No! If I were "God" I wouldn't care if people loved me, because I'm "God". If I did created a little tiny planet with little tiny people on it, what would be the point of doing anything on it, especially what would be the point of getting upset about things these little tiny people did. What would be the point, why would I care in the first place"?

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
13-10-2013, 12:51 AM
(13-10-2013 12:46 AM)Crimson Flyboy Wrote:  'God' stems from a desire to have someone else make all the decisions in one's life.

I understand why people want to believe in "God", kind of...
But what I'm asking is a hypothetical. If "God" were real, apart from humans, if "God" where real, then what is the point of "God", if "God" were real. Why would there be a "god" in the first place?

13-10-2013, 01:06 AM
(13-10-2013 12:51 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(13-10-2013 12:46 AM)Crimson Flyboy Wrote:  'God' stems from a desire to have someone else make all the decisions in one's life.

I understand why people want to believe in "God", kind of...
But what I'm asking is a hypothetical. If "God" were real, apart from humans, if "God" where real, then what is the point of "God", if "God" were real. Why would there be a "god" in the first place?

If 'God' were real he would be the person to tell us what to do, what our morality should be, how we should treat others, and to think for us. Some people want that because they find it scary to take responsibility for their own lives. He can also be seen as a friend for those who are lonely.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
13-10-2013, 01:07 AM
God is pointless. Drinking Beverage

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-10-2013, 01:27 AM
(13-10-2013 12:37 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  That’s it. The whole question is in the subject header. What is the point of “God”?

I mean, obviously there isn’t one, but from a Christian’s perspective, considering they do believe, what is the point, or purpose, or reason for “God”? Now I know the first thing they would say would be, something like, “he’s eternal” or “because he loves us” or “so that he could create us”, or some other non-answer.

My question is not, why did “God” create us, or how was “God” made. My question is, why? What is the purpose of a “God”, in the first place, universe aside. A universe, without a “god”, doesn’t require an explanation of why. How maybe, but not a why.

But, as Christians believe all things have a purpose, and an answer of why, not just how, under a universe with a “God”…then why “God” in the first place, rather that no “God”? For example, an answer of, “God needed to exist to create the universe” answers, (where it true, which it is not) what was necessary for the universe to exist, according to Christian mythos. But that does not explain why “God” in the first place.

What is the purpose of “God”? It just doesn’t make any sense. I really don’t know if I’m explaining the heart of my question well. It might be one of those things where, you yourself understand what you’re thinking so clearly its hard to tell if it’s not coming across. But this is a question I got stuck on at age seven and, for me, nothing else in religion could make sense unless I could get past this part. What is the point of there even being a “God” to begin with? There’s just this “God” who exist, just floating in eternal nothingness, for no apparent rhyme or reason, doing nothing for infinite time before getting to creating the universe. Just there existing,…for…the purpose of just…existing... Why?!

And then, even when “he” does create it all…still, why? I know Christians will say, “Because he loved us before he even knew us” or some other nonsensical thing. I mean, I could kind of understand if “God” where a more petty, humanistic “god” like the Greco-Roman “gods” that where more just like giant, powerful, immortal people really. Still doesn’t explain the “why” of it’s existence, in the first place, part…but an petty human like “god” would make a little more sense as to why create people to play with. But an all powerful, knowledgeable, eternal, creator “God” that the bible would have us believe? Or at least the parts that doesn’t clearly actually make him a completely petty, humanistic “god”. But as far as Christians want to believe “him” to be as this all powerful unlimited thing, what would be the motivations to doing any of it. Some would say, “he” created us because “he” wanted to have a relationship with us. An entity capable of taking nonexistence, and turning it into and all of physical reality, wants a relationship? That doesn’t make any sense.

When I was I kid thinking about this, the best I could ponder was this image of “him” floating around in nothingness, for some unknown reason, for infinite time, with nothing to do, because there was quite literally…nothing, thinking to “himself”, “I’m bored! I’ve been floating around for infinity with nothing to do or even think about, because there is no existence to think about or do. Maybe I’ll just create reality so that I can have something to do with my infinite time”. Then “he” created people, because “he” was bored, then got mad at them for some reason, and cares who they have sex with or what animal they burn. For what reason? Boredom? I sometimes think of this “bored” version of “God” and think of “him” looking down on the earth…or up on it, depending on how you look at it, and thinking, “I’m still bored…I know everything, so nothing is interesting or entertaining, because I already know it”. Then I just envision him giving up and aimlessly floating invisibly through space with no purpose because what could possibly interest him? He probably wishes he could die because he’s so bored.

Firstly....GREAT POST!

I know the answer. God gives priests, preachers are other assorted hangers on a job.

If humankind had been left to itself, gods would have disappeared as people learned more about the world; replaced by common sense, intuitive explanations, and scientific explanations. Unfortunately, a largish part of humanity wasn’t left to follow this natural development. Certain groups of people saw a business opportunity. They set out to keep others – at least the unsophisticated others – puzzled. They wrote holy books and called themselves priests or prophets or rabbis or Imams, and they invented or appropriated gods so that they could control common people’s lives. They’re still with us today, they don’t have real jobs, they cause an awful lot of trouble, and they rarely contribute anything worthwhile to society. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODetOE6cbbc).

"God" is a relic from our primitive past still promoted by priests to give themselves status and an income.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
13-10-2013, 01:29 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2013 01:40 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
(13-10-2013 01:06 AM)Crimson Flyboy Wrote:  
(13-10-2013 12:51 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I understand why people want to believe in "God", kind of...

If 'God' were real he would be the person to tell us what to do, what our morality should be, how we should treat others, and to think for us. Some people want that because they find it scary to take responsibility for their own lives. He can also be seen as a friend for those who are lonely.

My question is not, why "God" in relation to people. It's, why "God" in the first place.

Perhaps this will help illustrate my point better. Arguably "God" could have chose not to make people. Remove humans form the explanation of "God's" existence. If it makes it easier, image "God" never created people. Or even, never created the universe. If "he" is an eternal "God" then this is a possible scenario that could have happened. What I'm asking is, when considering "God" alone, in relation to nothing else, why would there even be a "God"?

If "God" is real, then "God" is real whether "he" ever created us or not. So "his" existence, if "he" were real, would not be dependent on an explanation based on human beings. The question is, why would he exist, on his own merit's? (obviously there is no actual answer to this, as it's not real)

13-10-2013, 01:34 AM
Just to be clear, I don't expect and actual answer to this question, as there is non, because it's not real. It's really more about thinking about a flaw in the concept of a "God" in the first place.

13-10-2013, 01:37 AM
(13-10-2013 01:29 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(13-10-2013 01:06 AM)Crimson Flyboy Wrote:  If 'God' were real he would be the person to tell us what to do, what our morality should be, how we should treat others, and to think for us. Some people want that because they find it scary to take responsibility for their own lives. He can also be seen as a friend for those who are lonely.

My question is not, why "God" in relation to people. It's, why "God" in the first place.

Perhaps this will help illustrate my point better. Arguably "God" could have chose not to make people. Remove humans form the explanation of "God's" existence. If it makes it easier, image "God" never created people. Or even, never created the universe. If "he" is an eternal "God" then this is a possible scenario "that" could have happened. I'm asking, when considering "God" alone, in relation to nothing else, why would there even be a "God".

Why would a god exist outside of the universe? I suppose for the same reason the universe exists, it would be an accident.

"Laissez nous faire!"