What Am I?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2016, 12:02 PM
RE: What Am I?
(16-01-2016 10:52 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 08:25 PM)xieulong Wrote:  I don't know about you guys, but this was the most pretentious thread I've seen on these forums. He even gave himself a title at the end... wow.

You haven't been here long then. Some declare themselves The Second Coming in the OP and work their way up from that.

And it was more of a label than a title. Still he was flaunting his ignorance impressively.

I'll happily grant him the title of One Who Lacks The Wits To Post This In The Philosophy Forum.

Are you referring to Egor or that Mark guy with the resting bitch face?
I remember Egor threatening peeps with his Taekwondo black belt and had his own religion.
Mark was the guy who claimed God was a black woman; Mark wrote his replies in sort of a rhyme of some sort.
Those were the most memorable guys for me. I didn't dislike Egor though, I thought he was just too angry. Mark on the other hand was really out there, waaaay out there lol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes xieulong's post
17-01-2016, 03:20 PM
If you believe that you are wearing an invisible hat that stretches out to the far reaches of the universe, you're a theist.

If you don't have this delusional belief, you're an atheist.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
17-01-2016, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2016 05:28 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
(17-01-2016 03:20 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  If you believe that you are wearing an invisible hat that stretches out to the far reaches of the universe, you're a theist.

Define delusional.
I believe anyone that believes in absolute certainty is possibly delusional.
With the exception of belief in thoughts.
I would consider some Atheists possibly delusional in this regard.
[+] 1 user Likes Agnostic Shane's post
17-01-2016, 05:39 PM
(17-01-2016 05:24 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 03:20 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  If you believe that you are wearing an invisible hat that stretches out to the far reaches of the universe, you're a theist.

Define delusional.

Possible God, ya gonna tell us what a possible God would be like? As opposed to the normal impossible one! OOPS my bad. Other thread.
17-01-2016, 05:43 PM
(17-01-2016 05:24 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I believe anyone that believes in absolute certainty is possibly delusional.

Do you believe that with absolute certainty? Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
17-01-2016, 05:44 PM
(17-01-2016 05:39 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 05:24 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Define delusional.

Possible God, ya gonna tell us what a possible God would be like? As opposed to the normal impossible one!
You are missing the point:
It's not about a possible or impossible God. It's about the possible existence of God.
Fallacy:
Ignoratio elenchi, also known as irrelevant conclusion, is the informal fallacy of presenting an argument that may or may not be logically valid, but fails nonetheless to address the issue in question. More colloquially, it is also known as missing the point

Some Atheist claim absolute certainty that God does not exist. They are possibly delusional to claim absolute certainty in this regard.
17-01-2016, 05:46 PM
(17-01-2016 05:43 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 05:24 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I believe anyone that believes in absolute certainty is possibly delusional.

Do you believe that with absolute certainty? Evil_monster
No. Why do you think the word "possibly" ended up there?
17-01-2016, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2016 08:08 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(15-01-2016 07:58 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I do not accept that anything is absolutely true or absolutely exists other than these thoughts. These thoughts do exist and it would be illogical to dismiss it.

Assertion are not arguments. You have provided not a shred of any argument there. You a "philosopher" ?

Bwawawawawawa.

Your "thoughts" do not "exist". What you perceive as "thoughts" are actually electrical firing patterns in a brain that have been "assembled" and are now in the past. (Proven by neuro-science).
So no. Your thoughts do not exist. You might try taking a class in science some day.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-01-2016, 07:52 PM
TROLL

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
17-01-2016, 08:22 PM
(15-01-2016 07:58 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Hello All.

My name is Shane.
I have a world view but I am unsure what others would call it.

I once thought I was Atheist & then thought I was Agnostic, but now I am not sure if these world view properly depicts mines.

It is a basic unprovable "brain in a vat or not" that haunts me.

I do not accept that anything is absolutely true or absolutely exists other than these thoughts. These thoughts do exist and it would be illogical to dismiss it.
I do not even know for a fact if the entity I call "I" is the real me or am I being forced to relive the thought process of another entity. Therefore I may not be who I think I am. For all intents and purposes I will continue to call myself "I" to keep it simple.

By process of elimination;
How can I be a Theist, an Atheist, an Agnostic, a Solipsist or even an Individual considering that I do not accept the following absolutes:

God is absolutely true or Absolutely exists. Therefore not a Theist.
God is absolutely not true or absolutely does not exist. Therefore not an Atheist.
Material things are absolutely true or absolutely exists. Therefore not an Agnostic.
Material things are absolutely not true or absolutely does not exist. Therefore not a Solipsist.
I am absolutely me & I absolutely exist. Therefore not an Individual.

I do accept that:
Thoughts absolutely exist & everything else is absolutely unknowable.
So what do you call that?

What do you call someone that believes nothing can be proven to be absolutely true or absolutely exist except this "thing" we call thoughts. How thoughts exist, how you define what a thought is and who owns them doesn't disprove it's existence.
Please note I did not say "my thoughts" only "thoughts"

Help Please?

be·lief/bəˈlēf/
noun
an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.

know/nō/
verb
be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information.

a·the·ism/ˈāTHēˌizəm/
noun
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

ag·nos·tic/aɡˈnästik/
noun
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

sol·ip·sism/ˈsälipˌsizəm/
noun
the view or theory that the self is all that can be known to exist.

the·ism/ˈTHēˌizəm/
noun
belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures.

in·di·vid·u·al/ˌindəˈvij(o͞o)əl/
adjective
single; separate.
of or for a particular person.
noun
a single human being as distinct from a group, class, or family.

So... going with the whole "Brain in a vat" thing.

Lets say this is the case. The words here are just some semi-random modal generation.

How might the OP begin to work out if they are "Just a brain in a vat" ?

Does the OP have any ideas to start the ball rolling?