What Am I?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2016, 08:07 AM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2016 08:21 AM by Dark Wanderer.)
RE: What Am I?
have you any evidence that you are a brain in a vat? if not, then theres no reason to think that it is a possibility, ive had similar discussions with my dad about this. he speculated that our lives might just be an illusion or somebody elses dream. i ask him to show me some proof. of course he has none. but since nothing like that can be disproven he considers himself agnostic. he thinks atheist are no better than the theists that claim they know everything for certain. i say you can speculate until the cows come home, but when it comes down to it you should just use critical thinking. driving yourself nuts with speculation is probably how a lot of people end up in the looney bin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2016, 09:21 AM
RE: What Am I?
(22-01-2016 08:07 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  have you any evidence that you are a brain in a vat? if not, then theres no reason to think that it is a possibility, ive had similar discussions with my dad about this. he speculated that our lives might just be an illusion or somebody elses dream. i ask him to show me some proof. of course he has none. but since nothing like that can be disproven he considers himself agnostic. he thinks atheist are no better than the theists that claim they know everything for certain. i say you can speculate until the cows come home, but when it comes down to it you should just use critical thinking. driving yourself nuts with speculation is probably how a lot of people end up in the looney bin.

Regarding the brain in a vat.... in the event of absence of evidence, the prudent position is to not believe that it's possible, and also to not believe that it's impossible (just have no belief regarding brain-in-vat). IMO we should just admit that we don't know whether or not something like that is possible.

Kind of a parallel to Pascal's wager is to assume that the world we perceive is based on a real external reality. Sure, we could be in the matrix, but I'm going to live my life as if we aren't (in case we're not in the matrix).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post