What Am I?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2016, 08:00 PM
RE: What Am I?
If we equate a thought to a physical object, like this planet for example, you must also recognize that there are certain elements that are required for a planet to form, in much the same way that there are material requirements for a thought to form.

In the universe we live, a universe itself, is the first requirement. Gravity and a host of other forces are also a requirement.
Planetary formation is fairly well studied and I think we have a pretty good idea how the planets in our solar system formed.

So then, we must ask, what are the requirements for a thought ?
Well, as human beings, we need a brain complex enough to generate thoughts.
Given life on a planet and lots of time, intelligent life on this planet has arisen.

When it comes to the whole brain in a vat scenario, every action we take in our lives confirms a large number of beliefs.
We believe this experience to be real. We react to experiences. We believe that consequences will effect us.
Hammer a nail and hit your finger by mistake and that experience tells you that all that pain is real.
You believe it fully because you will take precautions in the future to not hit your finger again.

You consciously take precautions to ensure your safety because you KNOW what pain feels like.

You cannot replace what you know to be true with a belief that it "may not" be true.
Take a hammer and intentionally hit one of your fingers as if you were going to hit a nail.
Are you going to reject the reality of the hammer or your experience of the pain with the phrase "This may not be real ?"

You already believe in the reality of the experience of life.
If you really want to doubt this truth, attempt to hit another finger twice as hard as the first swing.

Eventually you won't be able to type and I'll be all the more happier.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2016, 08:04 PM
(16-01-2016 06:06 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 05:26 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Your understanding of Atheism contradicts my research.
I do not qualify as an Atheist because:
Atheism means "disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods."
How can I be an Atheist if I do not have any beliefs about the "Existence or Non Existence of God". The key word here is belief.

be·lief/bəˈlēf/
noun
an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.

Do you believe that the claim God Exists "to be a true statement"? No.
Do you believe that the claim God Does not Exist "to be a true statement"? No.

If society would change the meaning of the word Athiesm to mean:
"The acceptance of the possibility that God may or May not exist" then I would be an Atheist.

That's what "Lacking" means. Not having a believe about the concept.

Chas nor anyone here isn't "changing the definition"

Whatever drives your research and your strict adherence to particular phrases in some dictionary definitions is strange. Dictionaries themselves also don't define words, they're not end all be all guides. Dictionary editors will be the first to express that point. Usage & acceptance among groups are more relevant to language and it is important to remember language is living and fluid. It is shifting over time as long as it's actively being used.

Atheism has many meanings. Out of the things you've stated here, you do fit under the agnostic atheist/weak atheist label. Not having a belief either way is still NOT having a belief. It's lacking one. If you're not actually believing in a God, in essence, you are atheist via this labeling. If you want to deny the label or proclaim it isn't fitting, that's fine and up to you.
be·lief/bəˈlēf/
noun

It is contradictory logic for me to accept that a specific God can exist & not exist simultaneously as a true world view.
Atheism specifically requires me to accept the world view that God does not exist as a true statement.
Atheism specifically uses the word lack of a belief (lack of an acceptance) in the existence of God(s).
I do not accept that "God does not exist" is a statement of truth. Therefore I am not an Atheist.
I also do not accept that "God does exist" is a statement of truth. Therefore I am not a Theist.
Why am I limited to a world view that requires acceptance of a statement as either true or not true?

I already stated my world view:
"I accept the possibility that God may or May not exist"
"I know that thoughts exist"
16-01-2016, 08:10 PM (This post was last modified: 16-01-2016 08:18 PM by Agnostic Shane.)
Thank you all for you lovely responses. Some more so than others.
I have found the classification which best suits my world view and thus my Purpose of this thread has been achieved.

I am an Academic Skeptic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_skepticism

If any of you wish to carry on our discussions further we can do so privately unless you see the need to publicize them.
Best Wishes,

Skeptical Shane
16-01-2016, 08:15 PM
(16-01-2016 08:10 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Thank you all for you lovely responses. Some more so than others.
I have found the classification which best suits my world view and thus my Purpose of this thread has been achieved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_skepticism.

If any of you wish to carry on our discussions further we can do so privately unless you see the need to publicize them.
Best Wishes,

Skeptical Shane

Your link goes to a non-article.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-01-2016, 08:16 PM
(16-01-2016 08:04 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Why am I limited to a world view that requires acceptance of a statement as either true or not true?

Your world view doesn't have to contain any accepted statements of truth or non-truth. Your world view can be delusional. It's all up to you.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
16-01-2016, 08:19 PM
(16-01-2016 08:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 08:10 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Thank you all for you lovely responses. Some more so than others.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_skepticism

Best Wishes,

Skeptical Shane

Your link goes to a non-article.
Fixed.
16-01-2016, 08:21 PM
(16-01-2016 08:04 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  be·lief/bəˈlēf/
noun

It is contradictory logic for me to accept that a specific God can exist & not exist simultaneously as a true world view.

No one has claimed that you should, except possibly you. Consider

Quote:Atheism specifically requires me to accept the world view that God does not exist as a true statement.

No, it doesn't.

Not accepting the claim that a god exists is not logically equivalent to claming that a god does not exist.

Quote:Atheism specifically uses the word lack of a belief (lack of an acceptance) in the existence of God(s).

A lack of belief is not the same as believing the opposite.

Quote:I do not accept that "God does not exist" is a statement of truth. Therefore I am not an Atheist.

Wrong. You lack a belief in gods, therefore you are an atheist.

Quote:I also do not accept that "God does exist" is a statement of truth. Therefore I am not a Theist.

Correct.

Quote:Why am I limited to a world view that requires acceptance of a statement as either true or not true?

You aren't.

Quote:I already stated my world view:
"I accept the possibility that God may or May not exist"
"I know that thoughts exist"

Have at it. You only think that thoughts exist. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-01-2016, 08:25 PM
I don't know about you guys, but this was the most pretentious thread I've seen on these forums. He even gave himself a title at the end... wow.
[+] 4 users Like xieulong's post
16-01-2016, 08:35 PM
(16-01-2016 08:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 08:04 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  ...
Atheism specifically requires me to accept the world view that God does not exist as a true statement.

No, it doesn't.

Not accepting the claim that a god exists is not logically equivalent to claming that a god does not exist.

Dude, you're a programmer ... can you do us all a favour and write some code that will auto-correct this error whenever anyone types it?

Thanks in advance.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Meet me in the Boxing Ring.
After considering the replies posted here I believe we have much room for debate.