What Am I?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2016, 08:49 PM
RE: What Am I?
(16-01-2016 05:26 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Do you believe that the claim God Exists "to be a true statement"? No.
Do you believe that the claim God Does not Exist "to be a true statement"? No.

If society would change the meaning of the word Athiesm to mean:
"The acceptance of the possibility that God may or May not exist" then I would be an Atheist.
You need to learn to research then skippy cause as I said earlier, which you avoided, you fundamentally fail to understand what the words mean. And I explained all this thoroughly with exactly zero wiggle room. Kinda looks like you are ignoring responses that dismantle your nonsense.... but I'll give you a passing moments benefit of the doubt.

First off Atheism is NOT a claim, it is not as you put it "Do you believe the claim God does not Exist, it is the absence of a belief in god. Atheism does not make a claim that god does not exist, you are conflating belief with knowledge again.

It's very simple: if you do not possess a belief in god you are an Atheist, full stop. There is no third option. Society does not need to change the definition of Atheist, you just need to actually learn what it actually means.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
16-01-2016, 08:58 PM
Language does not deal in absolutes.

Lacking a belief in god claims - which you do - is a notion that 99% of self-identified atheists not only hold themselves, but would say is explicitly what makes them atheists.

If you accept these two statements as true, then not identifying as an atheist on the basis that someone defined it as anything other than than 'lack of belief in god claims' - despite atheists defining it as just that - is unreasonable.

Proposition: You have motive, alterior to what atheism actually is, to not want to identify as an atheist. You say you wont identify as an atheist because you lack a belief in god claims without positing that they are false, to a bunch of people who hold the same notion and maintain that that is precisely what makes them atheists: this inadvertently says atheism is not a logical position.
[+] 2 users Like Gilgamesh's post
16-01-2016, 09:43 PM
(15-01-2016 07:58 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Hello All.

My name is Shane.
I have a world view but I am unsure what others would call it.

I once thought I was Atheist & then thought I was Agnostic, but now I am not sure if these world view properly depicts mines.

It is a basic unprovable "brain in a vat or not" that haunts me.

I do not accept that anything is absolutely true or absolutely exists other than these thoughts. These thoughts do exist and it would be illogical to dismiss it.
I do not even know for a fact if the entity I call "I" is the real me or am I being forced to relive the thought process of another entity. Therefore I may not be who I think I am. For all intents and purposes I will continue to call myself "I" to keep it simple.

By process of elimination;
How can I be a Theist, an Atheist, an Agnostic, a Solipsist or even an Individual considering that I do not accept the following absolutes:

God is absolutely true or Absolutely exists. Therefore not a Theist.
God is absolutely not true or absolutely does not exist. Therefore not an Atheist.
Material things are absolutely true or absolutely exists. Therefore not an Agnostic.
Material things are absolutely not true or absolutely does not exist. Therefore not a Solipsist.
I am absolutely me & I absolutely exist. Therefore not an Individual.

I do accept that:
Thoughts absolutely exist & everything else is absolutely unknowable.
So what do you call that?

What do you call someone that believes nothing can be proven to be absolutely true or absolutely exist except this "thing" we call thoughts. How thoughts exist, how you define what a thought is and who owns them doesn't disprove it's existence.
Please note I did not say "my thoughts" only "thoughts"

Help Please?

be·lief/bəˈlēf/
noun
an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.

know/nō/
verb
be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information.

a·the·ism/ˈāTHēˌizəm/
noun
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

ag·nos·tic/aɡˈnästik/
noun
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

sol·ip·sism/ˈsälipˌsizəm/
noun
the view or theory that the self is all that can be known to exist.

the·ism/ˈTHēˌizəm/
noun
belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures.

in·di·vid·u·al/ˌindəˈvij(o͞o)əl/
adjective
single; separate.
of or for a particular person.
noun
a single human being as distinct from a group, class, or family.

I am not gonna bother with the rest of this thread as this is such utter BS. Simpmly follow these few steps.

1. Walk to the shed.
2. Grab hammer off the wall.
3. Bash other hand as hard as possible.

Problem solved.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-01-2016, 10:09 PM
(16-01-2016 09:43 PM)Banjo Wrote:  ...
1. Walk to the shed.

Problem solved.

"Brain in vat" debunked by pain with a bat!

Ouch!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
16-01-2016, 10:21 PM
(16-01-2016 09:43 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 07:58 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Hello All.

My name is Shane.
I have a world view but I am unsure what others would call it.

I once thought I was Atheist & then thought I was Agnostic, but now I am not sure if these world view properly depicts mines.

It is a basic unprovable "brain in a vat or not" that haunts me.

I do not accept that anything is absolutely true or absolutely exists other than these thoughts. These thoughts do exist and it would be illogical to dismiss it.
I do not even know for a fact if the entity I call "I" is the real me or am I being forced to relive the thought process of another entity. Therefore I may not be who I think I am. For all intents and purposes I will continue to call myself "I" to keep it simple.

By process of elimination;
How can I be a Theist, an Atheist, an Agnostic, a Solipsist or even an Individual considering that I do not accept the following absolutes:

God is absolutely true or Absolutely exists. Therefore not a Theist.
God is absolutely not true or absolutely does not exist. Therefore not an Atheist.
Material things are absolutely true or absolutely exists. Therefore not an Agnostic.
Material things are absolutely not true or absolutely does not exist. Therefore not a Solipsist.
I am absolutely me & I absolutely exist. Therefore not an Individual.

I do accept that:
Thoughts absolutely exist & everything else is absolutely unknowable.
So what do you call that?

What do you call someone that believes nothing can be proven to be absolutely true or absolutely exist except this "thing" we call thoughts. How thoughts exist, how you define what a thought is and who owns them doesn't disprove it's existence.
Please note I did not say "my thoughts" only "thoughts"

Help Please?

be·lief/bəˈlēf/
noun
an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.

know/nō/
verb
be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information.

a·the·ism/ˈāTHēˌizəm/
noun
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

ag·nos·tic/aɡˈnästik/
noun
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

sol·ip·sism/ˈsälipˌsizəm/
noun
the view or theory that the self is all that can be known to exist.

the·ism/ˈTHēˌizəm/
noun
belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures.

in·di·vid·u·al/ˌindəˈvij(o͞o)əl/
adjective
single; separate.
of or for a particular person.
noun
a single human being as distinct from a group, class, or family.

I am not gonna bother with the rest of this thread as this is such utter BS. Simpmly follow these few steps.

1. Walk to the shed.

Problem solved.

I already did the hammer / pain thing in an earlier post.
Or maybe I simply time traveled back after reading your post ?

Hmmm - so much to consider

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
16-01-2016, 10:52 PM
(16-01-2016 08:25 PM)xieulong Wrote:  I don't know about you guys, but this was the most pretentious thread I've seen on these forums. He even gave himself a title at the end... wow.

You haven't been here long then. Some declare themselves The Second Coming in the OP and work their way up from that.

And it was more of a label than a title. Still he was flaunting his ignorance impressively.

I'll happily grant him the title of One Who Lacks The Wits To Post This In The Philosophy Forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
16-01-2016, 11:54 PM
I only got 3 pages in, but as for "what are you?"

You appear to be a troll, but I'm too bored to continue.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-01-2016, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2016 12:21 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(16-01-2016 03:45 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(16-01-2016 02:19 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Why care if there is a label or make up a label for it at all? Does that grant you anything you seek? If so, why do you seek such things?

You don't have to rule out anything or have any desire for absolute truth or even a lesser extent. You are kinda forced in the conscious form to think something but there is no reason to give into the seeming desire to have a set answer.
I have my reasons why I want to know my classification. I am not obliged to tell you why i want to know in the same way you are not obliged to help me find my classification. This doesn't mean that I should not ask nor that you shouldn't help me.
What makes you think I have a desire for absolute truth & that it is of high priority to me?
It is only relevant for me to find my classification.
I am just fine accepting the possibility that I will never know the nature of anything for certainty.
My only desire is to know my classification for now.
I will eventually give this classification a name if no one is able to to show me one that meets my acceptance list.
Your questions are no different than asking me why do I want to eat bacon this morning. It does not alter my desire nor does it require a reason for my desire to exist.

Your classification is OCD. Thumbsup

You are neither an "academic" nor a "skeptic".

PS. Are you Pachomius' brother ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
17-01-2016, 09:28 AM
Moderators please move topic to Philosphy section.
17-01-2016, 10:04 AM
A figment of my imagination.

#sigh