What Americans eat....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2013, 06:14 PM
RE: What Americans eat....
(26-09-2013 06:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 05:54 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  Whats this about #1 Farm Raised Salmon: "Where it's banned: Australia and New Zealand"?? I happen to know a guy who works on the Salmon farms down in Marlborough, NZ, so that claim is kind of horseshit. Here: we have our own Salmon Farmers Association http://www.salmon.org.nz/ ...unless the article is suggesting that American farm-raised salmon is banned in Oz and NZ, that im unsure of.

Probably you guys do a better job of raising them and keeping them safe to eat. So you won't eat the US stuff.

And the baseless bashing of the US and Americans begins.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
26-09-2013, 06:22 PM
I don't bash the US, I live here.

That doesn't change the facts, if they are facts.

I am not so sure about some of these things. We still don't know why cancer is constantly on the increase, we know you have to be predisposed, and then you have to have a trigger. Being predisposed just means that your ancestry's genes have evolved in a way that does not ward off cancer. Then you need a trigger - and it's quite logical to examine food in that context.

And cancer causing agents keep being found in processed foods, and even just commercially raised food, food containers too. We should be aware of this.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-09-2013, 06:25 PM
(26-09-2013 06:14 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 06:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  Probably you guys do a better job of raising them and keeping them safe to eat. So you won't eat the US stuff.

Don't be too hard on the American-bashers! I mean I did click on this thread thinking I might find ways to improve stuff Tongue
[Image: Super_Burger.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
26-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Re: What Americans eat....
I just ate White Castles... Is that on the list? It should be, my body hurts.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
26-09-2013, 07:18 PM
(26-09-2013 06:08 PM)germanyt Wrote:  And not a single fuck was given. You mad I'm 6'3", 215 lbs at 12% BF and will live to be 90 eating all that food that you think kills you?

My husband is 6'5", 220lbs and I have no idea what BF content but it isn't high. He eats a ton of junk. I on the other hand am very particular and I'm quite overweight. I don't know which of us it actually healthier (I have some non-food related medical issues). I have better blood pressure and higher good cholesterol, that's about all I know.
26-09-2013, 07:27 PM
(26-09-2013 06:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 05:54 PM)amav.eram Wrote:  Whats this about #1 Farm Raised Salmon: "Where it's banned: Australia and New Zealand"?? I happen to know a guy who works on the Salmon farms down in Marlborough, NZ, so that claim is kind of horseshit. Here: we have our own Salmon Farmers Association http://www.salmon.org.nz/ ...unless the article is suggesting that American farm-raised salmon is banned in Oz and NZ, that im unsure of.

Probably you guys do a better job of raising them and keeping them safe to eat. So you won't eat the US stuff.

Just a bit of melamine in our milk...yup, just the milk. Dodgy
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-09-2013, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2013 08:48 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-09-2013 06:14 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 06:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  Probably you guys do a better job of raising them and keeping them safe to eat. So you won't eat the US stuff.

Dude, this Marylander ain't bashing the shit outta the US, I'm bashing the shit outta Louisiana. ... Don't make me cite numbers. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-09-2013, 07:01 AM
(26-09-2013 06:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't bash the US, I live here.

I am not so sure about some of these things. We still don't know why cancer is constantly on the increase, we know you have to be predisposed, and then you have to have a trigger. Being predisposed just means that your ancestry's genes have evolved in a way that does not ward off cancer. Then you need a trigger - and it's quite logical to examine food in that context.

And cancer causing agents keep being found in processed foods, and even just commercially raised food, food containers too. We should be aware of this.

Maybe so, but there are many unsubstantiated assertions in that article. And some out-and-out falsehoods.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-09-2013, 08:16 AM
(27-09-2013 07:01 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-09-2013 06:22 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't bash the US, I live here.

Maybe so, but there are many unsubstantiated assertions in that article. And some out-and-out falsehoods.

But we have no reliable checks and balances in place. We approve most anything with minimal testing. If no one drops dead after eating it, it's ok. We don't know if eating it while pregnant makes for disorders in the young. We don't know if today's 20 year olds eating supermarket products and fast foods etc. won't all have cancer when they are 40. We don't know why the cancer rate is so much on the increase.

It is quite possible that the downfall of the human race will be food. We need to produce it like crazy and make it so that it can be shipped and stored over long periods of time to feed the masses. And we are sorely overpopulated, and many people continue to procreate and procreate and procreate....

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-09-2013, 10:00 AM
(27-09-2013 08:16 AM)Dom Wrote:  It is quite possible that the downfall of the human race will be food. We need to produce it like crazy and make it so that it can be shipped and stored over long periods of time to feed the masses. And we are sorely overpopulated, and many people continue to procreate and procreate and procreate....

I think locally grown is better and certainly more fresh. I also think getting people to eat less processed foods will be a trick - people seem to think it's more "convenient". However, in the long run, one is better off eating fresh foods distributed locally. The more processed a food is, the less it will provide the nutrients the body needs. So, the immediate "convenience" adds to body stress, which often results in medical conditions down the line.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post