What Americans eat....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2013, 10:38 AM
RE: What Americans eat....
(26-09-2013 06:25 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  [Image: Super_Burger.jpg]

That burger's alright, but where are the bacon and sauteed mushrooms?

And, only ONE layer of cheese? C'mon, don't hold out on me.

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Lotta false information in that article, but I get what Dom is pointing out. Culturally (in north America anyways) the general pop just doesn't look at the food they put into them carefully enough.

This is the first time I've been willing to announce this publicly: I am officially (for now) cancer free. With the exception of a couple of tumors on the outside of my skull that were removed surgically, I treated myself SOLELY with food. (yes, I also smoke lots of marijuana, but I don't really have the evidence to credit the weed with killing my cancer. Sorry Filox. Don't worry though buddy, we'll get that evidence eventually!)

Sure, you get people like GT who can eat whatever and stay healthy. But that is the exception, not the rule. Food matters a lot. Tons more than I think 90% of people think. You are MADE of food. You are POWERED by food. You are HEALED by food. Why the hell would you eat something that has even a remote chance of doing you harm?

A good rule of thumb to help avoid the vast majority of potentially harmful shit in your food? Easy. Just make sure that anything you buy with an ingredient list doesn't list anything you can't buy, in the grocery store, as a stand alone item. Not a perfect system, but it's a start.

Sorry. I'm a bit immersed in the topic, as I'm sure you guys can imagine. Wink

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 11 users Like Stark Raving's post
27-09-2013, 12:44 PM
(27-09-2013 10:00 AM)kim Wrote:  I think locally grown is better and certainly more fresh. I also think getting people to eat less processed foods will be a trick - people seem to think it's more "convenient". However, in the long run, one is better off eating fresh foods distributed locally. The more processed a food is, the less it will provide the nutrients the body needs. So, the immediate "convenience" adds to body stress, which often results in medical conditions down the line.

I think that's true only if you're growing it yourself and eating it right after harvesting like Stark. Even when I buy from my local farmer's market, the produce was still harvested several days earlier. Frozen produce is typically flash frozen hours after harvesting so it likely preserves more of the phytonutrients and vitamins and minerals and in that sense are "fresher" than even the locally grown farmer's market. That said, freezing invariably affects the texture and the locally grown farmer's market stuff always tastes better and I like supporting them anyway out of principle. And flash-freezing doesn't really count as "processed" to me. "Processed" foods to me mean added nitrates and preservatives and other shit I can't even pronounce.

(27-09-2013 12:05 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  This is the first time I've been willing to announce this publicly: I am officially (for now) cancer free. With the exception of a couple of tumors on the outside of my skull that were removed surgically, I treated myself SOLELY with food. (yes, I also smoke lots of marijuana, but I don't really have the evidence to credit the weed with killing my cancer. Sorry Filox. Don't worry though buddy, we'll get that evidence eventually!)

That's excellent! Bravo! ... and weed counts as food too. Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-09-2013, 12:44 PM
(27-09-2013 12:05 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Lotta false information in that article, but I get what Dom is pointing out. Culturally (in north America anyways) the general pop just doesn't look at the food they put into them carefully enough.

This is the first time I've been willing to announce this publicly: I am officially (for now) cancer free. With the exception of a couple of tumors on the outside of my skull that were removed surgically, I treated myself SOLELY with food. (yes, I also smoke lots of marijuana, but I don't really have the evidence to credit the weed with killing my cancer. Sorry Filox. Don't worry though buddy, we'll get that evidence eventually!)

Sure, you get people like GT who can eat whatever and stay healthy. But that is the exception, not the rule. Food matters a lot. Tons more than I think 90% of people think. You are MADE of food. You are POWERED by food. You are HEALED by food. Why the hell would you eat something that has even a remote chance of doing you harm?

A good rule of thumb to help avoid the vast majority of potentially harmful shit in your food? Easy. Just make sure that anything you buy with an ingredient list doesn't list anything you can't buy, in the grocery store, as a stand alone item. Not a perfect system, but it's a start.

Fuck yeah! That's awesome news Stark! Banana_zorro

I'm really happy for you. I've heard of a handful of people being able to reverse cancer through diet, but sounds like it's an extremely difficult commitment. My hat is off to you.

(so bacon pancakes are perfectly acceptable to eat is what I'm getting out of this, correct?)

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
27-09-2013, 12:51 PM
(27-09-2013 12:44 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  (so bacon pancakes are perfectly acceptable to eat is what I'm getting out of this, correct?)

I'm pretty sure the bacon Stark eats ain't the same bacon we eat. Wink

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-09-2013, 12:54 PM
(27-09-2013 12:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm pretty sure the bacon Stark eats ain't the same bacon we eat. Wink

Alien bacon?.....why are we whispering?

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
27-09-2013, 12:58 PM
(27-09-2013 12:54 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 12:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm pretty sure the bacon Stark eats ain't the same bacon we eat. Wink

Alien bacon?.....why are we whispering?

Dunno, you started it. Tongue

I think he cures it himself or gets it from neighbors who cure it themselves without adding nitrates and other unnatural shit.

27-09-2013, 01:00 PM
(27-09-2013 12:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 12:54 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Alien bacon?.....why are we whispering?

Dunno, you started it. Tongue

I think he cures it himself or gets it from neighbors who cure it themselves without adding nitrates and other unnatural shit.

Natural hog. I want some. Now.

27-09-2013, 01:01 PM
(27-09-2013 12:05 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Lotta false information in that article, but I get what Dom is pointing out. Culturally (in north America anyways) the general pop just doesn't look at the food they put into them carefully enough.

This is why these sort of Gonzo journalism false sensualist articles are really harmful. If I knew nothing else about the whole food/grow local movement other than what was presented here I would be able to dismiss the entire thing as a hoax. I have always thought that the preservatives in food are one of the root causes of a lot of health problems. However straight up lying about this subject is really the worst way to go about it.

As a side note, Stark, I am so glad to hear that. I know everyone here is relieved at that news and wish you the absolute best.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
27-09-2013, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2013 01:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-09-2013 01:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I have always thought that the preservatives in food are one of the root causes of a lot of health problems.

The problem with these additives and preservatives is that we're flying while blind. We are only just starting to get some idea of the long term effects. And I will ground my own indirect dangling reference. But my blood sugars tell me not to eat starch. Big Grin

"Preservatives might just be preserving you
I think that's something you missed"