What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
14-04-2011, 09:04 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
There are five hitchhiker books written bu Douglas Adams, and one written by Eoin Colfer in 2008.

I'm currently reading The Ancestors Tale by Richard Dawkins. A difficult read as always with Mr. Dawkins, but very rewarding. I'm learning so much! Big Grin

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2011, 02:31 AM
I have been all over the place lately. I've been reading To Kill A Mockingbird, Inside Of A Dog and a little of Bad Astronomy. I've had a tough time sticking with one book.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2011, 03:46 AM
I have to say that the Hitchhikers guide to Galaxy was a bit of a revelation to me, very much like religious thing. The book explained perfectly how little do we humans know about universe and how things can be incredible and unimaginable for us. Also, I love the idea about relativity and chance. How everything is just a mix of different coincidences, pure chance drives everything. Perfect anti-theist book.

Now I'm reading Earths Forbidden Secrets by Maxwell Igan.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
15-04-2011, 05:59 AM
i'm re-reading good omens - neil gaiman & Terry Pratchett ..

nothing beats a good laugh , right ? ^_^
18-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Finished 1984 - excellent. It will take its place next to Lord of the Flies as a book that I'll read every so often.

Moving on to Fahrenheit 451. I love Bradbury's short stories, but I have the hardest time getting in to his novels. This will be my second attempt to read this book.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
22-04-2011, 09:23 AM
NOTHING!

Finally after a year of crunching into several books a week and writing essays on them I am finally free Tongue

23-04-2011, 06:34 AM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2011 06:47 AM by Lilith Pride.)
(12-04-2011 10:03 AM)GodVirusDeleted Wrote:  I'm reading When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops by George Carlin at the moment.

I normally read scifi so this is something different.

That was a great collection of sayings from Carlin. I have that book too and it's got a lot of keepers in it.

Been reading Paradise Lost by Milton for a month or so, mainly while on the bus to and from work. Unfortunately it gets me into christian talks while on the bus. It's been a tough read because its an over explanation of the story of Adam and Eve (not genesis the actual story). Written as an epic poem his constant use of references get pretty confusing as he makes it as literal as possible both in mockery, and to explain god's will. It's interesting when you look into it and seeing the little nuances, because this was of course written during a time that Christian was the life those who wished to live led. He was a protestant and was very against the immoral Catholic church, but before he wrote this book a new king had been selected and enough of his works were burned, so he had to be careful in how he wrote this one. It's chaotic in a way that explains the bible. Before they ever discuss creating humans god is asking the angels who will be willing to sacrifice themselves to make up for the sin. My aversion to Christianity makes it a tough read but it's pretty interesting to read an intellectual bible story that focuses on what the contradictions would mean in a literal tale.

I've almost finished it and then I'll be on to "The Greatest Show On Earth" by Dawkins which can't be as hard to read as this one has been.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
25-04-2011, 12:17 PM
I have got into the whole e-book thing! I love my phone for it! I have so many e-books on there that I am yet to read. At the moment I am reading "The Defector" by Mark Chisnell. I have the iphone 4 and I got this book for free. I previously read "Graveyard Games" by Sheri Leigh. That was a good horror/crime novel. "The Defector" is another crime/horror novel. They are both good novels bearing in mind that they are both free to download!

Quote:"Religion poisons everything." - Christopher Hitchens
25-04-2011, 12:24 PM
(18-04-2011 03:09 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Finished 1984 - excellent. It will take its place next to Lord of the Flies as a book that I'll read every so often.

I love 1984. It is one of my all-time favorite works, in fact. I don't care if people think that Brave New World is "more realistic". It doesn't even come close to 1984 in terms of writing and story quality.

As for myself, I'm (re-)reading The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, by Terry Pratchett. I love this book. So much fun.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I want to start reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms but I want to get a hard copy which is proving to be a bit of a chore, I may have to order it off Amazon or something as much as I hate buying online. Should be good though Smile