What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
21-04-2016, 07:18 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(21-04-2016 07:10 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(21-04-2016 07:06 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I grew up with pilots. My first job, aged 8, was on an airfield working for a crop dusting pilot. I was in fact flying aircraft before the age of 10.

Sounds cool.

My first job or maybe "job" was tending to the garden and work in the field.

(21-04-2016 07:06 AM)Banjo Wrote:  So I am right into it. Aerial warfare, Rome, Greece, Christianity, these are what I know best. Oh and martial arts and drumming and percussion. Smile

My interests are more morbid I think - Shoah, Russian Revolution, dictators. But there is also sociology and politcis Smile

Oh that too. Although I think on the Russian side you are more well read than I. Check out Justinian. He was a dictator!

Roman history again.

I also studied much on the Mongols.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2016, 07:21 AM
“Where Are the Customer’s Yachts?” by Fred Schwed, Jr.

Written in 1940 it is commentary on Wall Street. Half way through I find it funny, irreverent and just as true today as it was 76 years ago.

Some quotes:
There are certain things that cannot be adequately explained to a virgin by words or pictures.

There have always been a considerable number of pathetic people who busy themselves examining the last thousand numbers which have appeared on a roulette wheel, in search of some repeating pattern... I should say that chart reading shares a pedestal with astrology.

I once heard one doctor say to another: “He doesn’t know enough medicine to do a patient any harm.”

Finally the inspiration for the title of the book comes from this story:

Once an out-of-town visitor was being shown the wonders of the New York financial district. When the party arrived at the Battery, his guide indicated some handsome ships riding at anchor. He said,
“Look, those are the bankers’ and brokers’ yachts.”
“Where are the customers’ yachts?” asked the naive visitor.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
21-04-2016, 07:33 AM
Your mind.... (jk)
21-04-2016, 07:50 AM
(21-04-2016 07:18 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Oh that too. Although I think on the Russian side you are more well read than I.

It's possible as it was subject of my thesis after all.

(21-04-2016 07:18 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Check out Justinian. He was a dictator!

Some day I probably will but for now I have enough books.

(21-04-2016 07:18 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I also studied much on the Mongols.

I only read one serious book on this subject but it was enlightening.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-04-2016, 07:53 AM
(21-04-2016 07:50 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I only read one serious book on this subject but it was enlightening.

Really??? You may be a relation.

Khan.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
21-04-2016, 08:01 AM
(21-04-2016 07:53 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(21-04-2016 07:50 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I only read one serious book on this subject but it was enlightening.

Really??? You may be a relation.

Khan.

Really. I even remember autor and title Mongols of Old by Stanisław Kałużyński.

As for relation if my father was to be believed our family have roots in Hungary.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-04-2016, 08:03 AM
(21-04-2016 08:01 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(21-04-2016 07:53 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Really??? You may be a relation.

Khan.

Really. I even remember autor and title Mongols of Old by Stanisław Kałużyński.

As for relation if my father was to be believed our family have roots in Hungary.

That guy had many wives. And concubines. Smile

It's good to be the king. Big Grin

Banjo.
21-04-2016, 08:04 AM
(21-04-2016 08:03 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(21-04-2016 08:01 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Really. I even remember autor and title Mongols of Old by Stanisław Kałużyński.

That guy had many wives. And concubines. Smile

I know. But it means that he had many mothers-in-law as well.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-04-2016, 08:07 AM
(21-04-2016 08:04 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(21-04-2016 08:03 AM)Banjo Wrote:  That guy had many wives. And concubines. Smile

I know. But it means that he had many mothers-in-law as well.

Were they trouble, he'd have them killed.

Banjo.
21-04-2016, 08:09 AM
(21-04-2016 08:07 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(21-04-2016 08:04 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I know. But it means that he had many mothers-in-law as well.

Were they trouble, he'd have them killed.

Possibly. Still that many mothers-in-law wasn't something that one could be happy about I guess.

Mikhail Bakunin.