What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
31-05-2016, 03:59 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(31-05-2016 03:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan

Funny, I'm re-reading Godel, Escher, Bach and the chapter I read this morning had a section about Ramanujan.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
31-05-2016, 04:14 PM
(31-05-2016 03:59 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(31-05-2016 03:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan

Funny, I'm re-reading Godel, Escher, Bach and the chapter I read this morning had a section about Ramanujan.

I was thinking about re-reading that a few weeks back, but got sidetracked onto something else. This happens to me a lot.

The last book I finished was Mark Twain's Letters from the Earth. That was during the weekend of a really disappointing chess tournament. Since then, I've been concentrating on my chess game, and haven't gotten any other reading done.
31-05-2016, 04:47 PM
I tend to phase through things. Read over 200 books in a two year period, then stopped. Learned to proficiently play a bunch of instruments in maybe three years, then stopped. A couple months ago I started buying graphic novels, and now I'm starting on Preacher book two, Daytripper, The Underwater Welder, and 100 Bullets book one.
10-06-2016, 01:35 PM
Thinking The Twentieh Century by Tony Judt and Timothy Snyder.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-06-2016, 03:04 AM
I am currently reading kids' books for their entertainment value.
14-06-2016, 12:03 PM
I have just finished reading two translations of Beowulf, and am thinking of trying the 2000 Seamus Heaney translation next. I generally don't like translations, but I'm not about to learn Old English (or Greek or Latin), so if I'm going to read stuff like this at all, it will have to be in translation. I am hoping the Heaney translation will be a bit less stilted than the two I've read so far. I have mixed feelings about the intrinsic value of Beowulf, but that's hard to judge without being able to read it in the original.
14-06-2016, 12:29 PM
(14-06-2016 12:03 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I have just finished reading two translations of Beowulf, and am thinking of trying the 2000 Seamus Heaney translation next. I generally don't like translations, but I'm not about to learn Old English (or Greek or Latin), so if I'm going to read stuff like this at all, it will have to be in translation. I am hoping the Heaney translation will be a bit less stilted than the two I've read so far. I have mixed feelings about the intrinsic value of Beowulf, but that's hard to judge without being able to read it in the original.

I tried a few different versions and could never get through it. I did finally find a prose version translated by Clarence Griffin Child that was readable.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
14-06-2016, 12:50 PM
(14-06-2016 12:29 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 12:03 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I have just finished reading two translations of Beowulf, and am thinking of trying the 2000 Seamus Heaney translation next. I generally don't like translations, but I'm not about to learn Old English (or Greek or Latin), so if I'm going to read stuff like this at all, it will have to be in translation. I am hoping the Heaney translation will be a bit less stilted than the two I've read so far. I have mixed feelings about the intrinsic value of Beowulf, but that's hard to judge without being able to read it in the original.

I tried a few different versions and could never get through it. I did finally find a prose version translated by Clarence Griffin Child that was readable.

The two I've read were verse (by Charles Kennedy) and prose (by E. Talbot Donaldson). I actually like the verse translation better, but had the same problem with both of them -- I tend to get lost in all the digressions and allusions to incidents (not directly related to the main story) that would have been familiar to listeners back then, but mean nothing to me (unless I read all the lengthy footnotes -- and doing that breaks the mood).

Beowulf himself is quite impressive, though. He can swim in the ocean for 7 days straight (apparently without eating or drinking), do battle with sea monsters at the ocean floor (without running out of breath), win a wrestling match with a creature so huge that it takes four men to carry its head, etc. He is definitely larger than life, and probably a match for most comic book superheroes. A match I would pay to see: Beowulf vs. Samson (before the haircut).

Seamus Heaney is a Nobel prize winning poet as well as a translator, so I am looking forward to his translation.
14-06-2016, 01:36 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2016 01:39 PM by Born Again Pagan.)
I downloaded the Complete Works of Mark Twain from Barnes and Noble. Reading some stuff I don't believe I ever saw before, about Adam and Even etc...
On that same buying spree I was looking over various translations of Teo Te Ching or how ever it is spelled by Lao Tsu. Bouncing from one to the other i finally chose the $1.00 copy and after getting it downloaded found I had an Italian copy. I read English, Spanish and almost can read Portuguese, so can understand a few phrases of Italian, but it was just a buck I wasted!
16-06-2016, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2016 12:17 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
Discourses of Epictetus. Assorted writings of Joseph McCabe as well.