What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
14-07-2016, 03:59 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(14-07-2016 02:59 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 01:54 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  To each his own i kinda of like swallows work my favorite being his opening for FEAR TO TREAD Sanguinius is a CQC monster Evil_monster

Quote:I feel that his portrayal of primarch and his legion is bland and his prose is weak. For me he is simply below Wraight or Bowden.
Really i thought swallows depiction was more balanced to me Wraights depictions feel inconsistent throughout the book and his prose thou strong but feel narrow. As for Bowden his depictions feel overtly cynical and his prose feel sorta contrived but as i said to each his own .

Quote: As for the heresy books as a whole it's awesome actually getting to see the event play out we have heard about the Primarchs and the Crusade and the Heresy and how they pretty much shape the tales of the modern 40k universe. But only as ancient history or mythology and only bits and pieces for all these years i can't wait to see what else they do with 30k era .

Quote:I would like less filler books and quicker conclusion to the series. Something depicting Emperor as competent also would be good

I actually like the minor books they give the universe a broader feel remember 40k is a setting not a linear plot. And this is a era in the setting so it makes sense that tons of stuff going on both massive and minor and i feel both make the series feel more like a real universe .

As for big E's competents the empoeror is a masterful manipulator of events how do we know all the supposed lack of isn't just part of a broader manipulation of events to his benefit

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-07-2016, 04:03 PM
(14-07-2016 02:59 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 01:54 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  To each his own i kinda of like swallows work my favorite being his opening for FEAR TO TREAD Sanguinius is a CQC monster Evil_monster

Quote:I feel that his portrayal of primarch and his legion is bland and his prose is weak. For me he is simply below Wraight or Bowden.
Really i thought swallows depiction was more balanced to me Wraights depictions feel inconsistent throughout the book and his prose thou strong but feel narrow. As for Bowden his depictions feel overtly cynical and his prose feel sorta contrived but as i said to each his own .

Quote: As for the heresy books as a whole it's awesome actually getting to see the event play out we have heard about the Primarchs and the Crusade and the Heresy and how they pretty much shape the tales of the modern 40k universe. But only as ancient history or mythology and only bits and pieces for all these years i can't wait to see what else they do with 30k era .

Quote:I would like less filler books and quicker conclusion to the series. Something depicting Emperor as competent also would be good

I actually like the minor books they give the universe a broader feel remember 40k is a setting not a linear plot. And this is a era in the setting so it makes sense that tons of stuff going on both massive and minor and i feel both make the series feel more like a real universe .

As for big E's competents the empoeror is a masterful manipulator of events how do we know all the supposed lack of isn't just part of a broader manipulation of events to his benefit

[Image: giphy.gif]
14-07-2016, 04:13 PM
King Lear, by some guy named Shakespeare. I am going to see a performance later this summer, and it's easy to miss things in a performance, so I am re-reading the play (I've both read it and seen it performed before).
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
15-07-2016, 12:14 AM
(14-07-2016 04:03 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  Really i thought swallows depiction was more balanced to me Wraights depictions feel inconsistent throughout the book and his prose thou strong but feel narrow. As for Bowden his depictions feel overtly cynical and his prose feel sorta contrived but as i said to each his own .

Sure. Though for my Heresy could be written by those two I mentioned and maybe French.

(14-07-2016 04:03 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  I actually like the minor books they give the universe a broader feel remember 40k is a setting not a linear plot. And this is a era in the setting so it makes sense that tons of stuff going on both massive and minor and i feel both make the series feel more like a real universe .

I would have nothing against such books if their quality would be higher.

(14-07-2016 04:03 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  As for big E's competents the empoeror is a masterful manipulator of events how do we know all the supposed lack of isn't just part of a broader manipulation of events to his benefit

He is told to be masterful in many things but this is rarely if ever shown to be the case, which is one of greatest sin that writer can commit, in my opinion at least.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
15-07-2016, 10:02 AM
The Art of Electronics, third edition.
[Image: 03.jpg]

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
15-07-2016, 10:08 AM
(15-07-2016 10:02 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  The Art of Electronics, third edition.
[Image: 03.jpg]

I'm pretty sure I have the first edition of that (or something very much like it), although I never finished reading it. I suspect it's a wee bit dated now.
16-07-2016, 03:34 AM
Superforecasting, The Art and Science of Predicition.

https://www.amazon.com/Superforecasting-...orecasting
16-07-2016, 03:44 AM
(16-07-2016 03:34 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Superforecasting, The Art and Science of Predicition.

Did it predict this would happen?

[Image: latest?cb=20130701141032]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
16-07-2016, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2016 04:59 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(16-07-2016 03:44 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(16-07-2016 03:34 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Superforecasting, The Art and Science of Predicition.

Did it predict this would happen?

[Image: latest?cb=20130701141032]

Nope....didn't see that one coming.

The comedic effect was good.....but it would have been great if pic was in spoiler and wrapped inside that spoiler another spoiler with the question.
16-07-2016, 10:10 PM
(14-07-2016 02:59 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would like less filler books and quicker conclusion to the series. Something depicting Emperor as competent also would be good.

Don't read the short "The Last Church" then. There are good arguments in favor of the atheism the Emperor espouses, both in reality and in the 40k universe (like starving the Chaos Gods)...He doesn't really use any of them. He instead just flails about with enough strawmen to make a bonfire the size of the Eye of Terror. Though I found it deliciously hilarious that the last church did have a painting of the future that was accurate.

Anyhow, reading The War on Science by Shawn Otto. Decent so far.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user