What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
16-07-2016, 10:59 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(16-07-2016 10:10 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 02:59 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would like less filler books and quicker conclusion to the series. Something depicting Emperor as competent also would be good.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

Don't read the short "The Last Church" then. There are good arguments in favor of the atheism the Emperor espouses, both in reality and in the 40k universe (like starving the Chaos Gods)...He doesn't really use any of them. He instead just flails about with enough strawmen to make a bonfire the size of the Eye of Terror. Though I found it deliciously hilarious that the last church did have a painting of the future that was accurate.

Anyhow, reading The War on Science by Shawn Otto. Decent so far.

Which emperor?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2016, 12:10 AM
(16-07-2016 10:10 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Don't read the short "The Last Church" then.

I already read it.

(16-07-2016 10:10 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  There are good arguments in favor of the atheism the Emperor espouses, both in reality and in the 40k universe (like starving the Chaos Gods)...He doesn't really use any of them. He instead just flails about with enough strawmen to make a bonfire the size of the Eye of Terror. Though I found it deliciously hilarious that the last church did have a painting of the future that was accurate.

I felt he wasn't so bad in this one, but for millenia old being his arguments were kinda disappointing. Though it's not easy to accurately describe someone much smarter than author so there's that.

(16-07-2016 10:59 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Which emperor?

Emperor of Mankind from Warhammer 40 000 universe.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
17-07-2016, 12:18 AM
Oh okay. Thanks.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
17-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Szuchow beat me to it on the Emperor. And fair point on someone smarter than the author being difficult/nigh impossible to write. Just...came off so bland, considering the Emperor, if we go by some older canon was Jesus and Muhammed and so many others. "Religion causes wars" isn't a very compelling argument coming from a guy who just conquered the world with his Thunder Warriors and is trying to enforce a state-mandated lack of belief in gods.

If I weren't so cheap, I'd buy the audio drama the Sigilite, because I'd love to learn more about Malcador. But in time, surely someone will update the Lexicanum wiki.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
18-07-2016, 12:03 AM
(17-07-2016 02:01 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  And fair point on someone smarter than the author being difficult/nigh impossible to write. Just...came off so bland, considering the Emperor, if we go by some older canon was Jesus and Muhammed and so many others.

To be fair it is problem with all primarchs, whose sometimes look like petulant children not war-leaders of Julius Caesar scale. It's even more painful to read in case of Emperor though.

On the side note movie makers have similar problem - how to portray inhuman beauty, vide Arwen and Galadriel.

(17-07-2016 02:01 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  "Religion causes wars" isn't a very compelling argument coming from a guy who just conquered the world with his Thunder Warriors and is trying to enforce a state-mandated lack of belief in gods.

It's not bad, only hypocritical.

(17-07-2016 02:01 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  If I weren't so cheap, I'd buy the audio drama the Sigilite, because I'd love to learn more about Malcador. But in time, surely someone will update the Lexicanum wiki.

I would say that it is worth buying but I have no idea how much it costs now.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
18-07-2016, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2016 10:28 PM by OrdoSkeptica.)
Quote:If I weren't so cheap, I'd buy the audio drama the Sigilite, because I'd love to learn more about Malcador. But in time, surely someone will update the Lexicanum wiki.

yup good ol Malcador Big E's right hand founder of most of the imperial government and good god emperor look how it all fell apart without that glorious bastard to oversee i really like the audio drama's in general i really liked BUTCHERS NAILS and THE LONG NIGHT

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes OrdoSkeptica's post
18-07-2016, 10:14 PM
Sigilite

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes OrdoSkeptica's post
19-07-2016, 06:25 AM
[Image: $_35.JPG]

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
20-07-2016, 05:36 AM
Oleg Pavlov Tales from the Last Days.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-07-2016, 07:36 PM
(18-07-2016 12:03 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(17-07-2016 02:01 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  And fair point on someone smarter than the author being difficult/nigh impossible to write. Just...came off so bland, considering the Emperor, if we go by some older canon was Jesus and Muhammed and so many others.

To be fair it is problem with all primarchs, whose sometimes look like petulant children not war-leaders of Julius Caesar scale. It's even more painful to read in case of Emperor though.

On the side note movie makers have similar problem - how to portray inhuman beauty, vide Arwen and Galadriel.

(17-07-2016 02:01 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  "Religion causes wars" isn't a very compelling argument coming from a guy who just conquered the world with his Thunder Warriors and is trying to enforce a state-mandated lack of belief in gods.

It's not bad, only hypocritical.
--

Still reading War on Science, it's depressing...
(17-07-2016 02:01 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  If I weren't so cheap, I'd buy the audio drama the Sigilite, because I'd love to learn more about Malcador. But in time, surely someone will update the Lexicanum wiki.

I would say that it is worth buying but I have no idea how much it costs now.
Points taken and agreed to. May buy it later, but no paycheck until October 1st. For now, gonna follow that YouTube link...
(18-07-2016 10:14 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  Sigilite

You so just made my night, thank you so much!! And yep, totally agree, it all fell apart without Big E and Malcador handling things; Roboute Guilliman tried but...heh.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post