What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
21-08-2016, 02:33 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Bill Nye Undeniable.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Two concurrent books:

Jesse Livermore, The Man Who Sold America Short in 1929 by Tom Rubython
The lives and times of one of America’s greatest speculators.
"Between 24th and 29th October 1929 American stock markets lost $30 billion. Jesse Livermore sold $450 million of shares short and made $100 million. It remains, adjusted for inflation, the most money ever made by any individual in a period of seven days. This is the story of that man.”

How Not to Be Wrong, The Power of Mathematical Thinking by Jordan Ellenberg
https://www.amazon.com/How-Not-Be-Wrong-...l+thinking
“How Not to Be Wrong presents the surprising revelations behind all of these questions and many more, using the mathematician’s method of analyzing life and exposing the hard-won insights of the academic community to the layman—minus the jargon."

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
21-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Currently reading God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. I've had it in My collection for several years but am just getting around to it now.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2016, 02:21 PM
Everything is Broken: The Untold Story of Disaster Under Burma's Military Regime by Emma Larkin.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Star Wars The Last Command. The final of the Thrawn Trilogy. Really great series, would recommend to any Star Wars fan.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
07-09-2016, 09:21 AM
(31-05-2016 03:59 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(31-05-2016 03:20 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan

Funny, I'm re-reading Godel, Escher, Bach and the chapter I read this morning had a section about Ramanujan.

I just finished the book. It was good.. Not too much about math, (which you can skip if you hate it). Some about Continental influences, (the ones you mention). More about Indian and English culture and early 20th Century history. Just as much about Godfrey Harold "G. H." Hardy, than Ramanujan. Hardy was a serious, good-natured ATHEIST (!), (probably gay), who managed to get along with pretty much everyone. I like his quotes:

" Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics.

A mathematician, like a painter or a poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that."

I can't imagine the movie doing justice to the book.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-09-2016, 10:29 AM
After being a fan of the show I've started reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Noticed a few differences from the show but enjoying it nonetheless. I'm keeping my reading light and easy these days as my nose is usually in Pyschology and Counselling books.
11-09-2016, 08:35 AM
Exterminate All the Brutes by Sven Lindqvist.

Mikhail Bakunin.
15-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Almost halfway through Going Postal by Terry Pratchett.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-09-2016, 09:08 PM
What Are You Currently Reading?
"Beyond Totalitarianism: Stalinism and Nazism Compared" by Michael Geyer.

Mikhail Bakunin.