What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
17-10-2016, 03:55 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Nicolae Ceausescu: Eine Biographie by Thomas Kunze.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2016, 04:11 AM
Getting ready to read another Horus Heresy book. They tend to be hit and miss.
18-10-2016, 08:19 PM
The Coca Cola logo on a styrofoam cup.

The clock on the wall. 9:12.

There's this knick-knack hanging on the wall that my wife bought that reads "peace, love, happiness" in what looks like Cantonese and English.

The calendar in the kitchen says 'October'. I know that it's the tenth month on the calendar, but I still call it by the number eight because a bunch of old monks of one faith or another decided that 5+5=8.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
18-10-2016, 08:28 PM
(18-10-2016 08:19 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  The Coca Cola logo on a styrofoam cup.

The clock on the wall. 9:12.

There's this knick-knack hanging on the wall that my wife bought that reads "peace, love, happiness" in what looks like Cantonese and English.

The calendar in the kitchen says 'October'. I know that it's the tenth month on the calendar, but I still call it by the number eight because a bunch of old monks of one faith or another decided that 5+5=8.

Get some more hobbies! Cigarettes are not a hobby! Tongue Stay off the cancer sticks!
18-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Looking for more authors to read in the Sci-Fi realm. I just finished Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal". I picked up "Snuff" and "Thud" today. The jury is out with Pratchett (having read only the one book). Seems pretty good, but I have high expectations, having cut my teeth on Asimov, Heinlein, Budrys, Clarke, Bradbury, Ellison, etc. Yes, I'm that old! One of my very favorite authors is Roger Zelazny. The Amber series is one of the best bunch of stories I have ever read.
18-10-2016, 08:41 PM
[Image: 9780760343937.jpg]

[Image: 51yAPag-CbL._AC_UL320_SR204,320_.jpg]

[Image: 51Jb6PZu6yL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
18-10-2016, 09:02 PM
(18-10-2016 08:41 PM)Banjo Wrote:  [Image: 9780760343937.jpg]

I use to read nonfiction war books a lot when I was younger. But then I got to thinking just how much of it was embellished or not. I did some fact checking and found out one book I had read (can't recall the name now) was totally bullshit. Pissed me off. How do you decide which ones to read that are reliable? Do you research them first? I start to get wary when the writer has specific conversations between individuals. Depending on when he wrote the book, how the hell could his memory be so exact?

Maybe I'm just paranoid but it bugged the hell out of me so much that I stopped reading them. So now I've just been reading science fiction. At least I KNOW it's bullshit, and that it's supposed to be.
19-10-2016, 12:17 AM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2016 06:18 AM by Szuchow.)
(18-10-2016 08:39 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Looking for more authors to read in the Sci-Fi realm. I just finished Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal". I picked up "Snuff" and "Thud" today. The jury is out with Pratchett (having read only the one book). Seems pretty good, but I have high expectations, having cut my teeth on Asimov, Heinlein, Budrys, Clarke, Bradbury, Ellison, etc. Yes, I'm that old! One of my very favorite authors is Roger Zelazny. The Amber series is one of the best bunch of stories I have ever read.

It may be not exactly Sci-Fi but maybe try Sergei Lukyanenko Watch series? I found it quite good. Some of Stanisław Lem writing also could interest you.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-10-2016, 06:12 AM
(18-10-2016 09:02 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 08:41 PM)Banjo Wrote:  [Image: 9780760343937.jpg]

I use to read nonfiction war books a lot when I was younger. But then I got to thinking just how much of it was embellished or not. I did some fact checking and found out one book I had read (can't recall the name now) was totally bullshit. Pissed me off. How do you decide which ones to read that are reliable? Do you research them first? I start to get wary when the writer has specific conversations between individuals. Depending on when he wrote the book, how the hell could his memory be so exact?

Maybe I'm just paranoid but it bugged the hell out of me so much that I stopped reading them. So now I've just been reading science fiction. At least I KNOW it's bullshit, and that it's supposed to be.

I've read lots of history books. What is true is a great question. As is what is false?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
19-10-2016, 04:45 PM
(18-10-2016 08:39 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Looking for more authors to read in the Sci-Fi realm. I just finished Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal". I picked up "Snuff" and "Thud" today. The jury is out with Pratchett (having read only the one book). Seems pretty good, but I have high expectations, having cut my teeth on Asimov, Heinlein, Budrys, Clarke, Bradbury, Ellison, etc. Yes, I'm that old! One of my very favorite authors is Roger Zelazny. The Amber series is one of the best bunch of stories I have ever read.

A few of my favorites that you don't mention are Orson Scott Card (although a lot of his stuff is only marginally sci-fi -- but he's a very good writer), Ursula K. LeGuin, and Gene Wolfe (I've only read a little of his stuff, but I like it a lot, and he has a tremendous reputation). Also Douglas Adams, if you haven't already read him.