What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
27-11-2016, 09:42 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
I just started reading A Book of Abstract Algebra (2nd ed) by Charles C. Pinter. Abstract algebra seems like a very fascinating topic, and this book appears to take a very enthusiastic approach toward helping readers understand it.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2016, 12:23 PM
What Are You Currently Reading?
Hard to Be a God by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
03-12-2016, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2016 06:55 PM by Shai Hulud.)
From Apostle to Apostate: The Story of the Clergy Project by Catherine Dunphy. Really a fascinating book, part memoir of Ms. Dunphy's own loss of her faith in Catholicism, part story of The Clergy Project. It's broken into parts based on Biblical themes, contains interviews with several members, including each of the people who founded the TCP. Well worth the read, despite being relatively short. At 180 pages, it surprised me how long it took me to get through, because it's so interesting and made me think.

Also interesting, was the act of reading it and how that influenced things around me. Usually when I do my non-religious (or fictional) reading, I do it in private. I took this with me to conference, as well as to read before Mass. It got some...interesting...looks on both the airplane and at Mass. It also lead to a pre-Confession conversation with my priest, who always likes to see what I'm reading, because we share similar literary tastes. He'd never heard of The Clergy Project before, and we ended up discussing it, as well as a bit about the points Dawkins brings up in The God Delusion. Might gift it to him on Amazon.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
09-12-2016, 11:50 PM
I got myself a copy of Daniel Solow's How to Read and Do Proofs as an aid for helping me learn abstract algebra. I must say that this is a very interesting book. I had initially learned how to read and write proofs from Richard Hammack's Book of Proof (which was very cool); however, Solow has his own unique, distinctive style, which is definitely making my exploration of upper level mathematics more fascinating.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
11-12-2016, 02:49 AM
World-Systems Analysis: An Introduction by Immanuel Wallerstein

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-12-2016, 10:14 AM
I'm finishing 'Freakonomics' by Levitt and Dubner. Fantastic. Before that, it was 'Danubia', by Simon Winder, alongside Nigel Spivey's 'Classical Civilization - Greeks and Romans in Ten Chapters'. Regarding 'Danubia', I find reading about the great empires of the 19th century very informative about what's happening in the world, especially in Russia, which, stunted and criminally misruled as it is, appears to have a leader/leaders whose mindset has much in common with the reactionary [i.e. proto-fascist] examples of tsarist Russia and late Prussian society.
19-12-2016, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2016 06:44 AM by Szuchow.)
The Passing of an Illusion: The Idea of Communism in the Twentieth Century by François Furet and Clovis LaFay: Scotland Yard Magic Files by Anna Lange. Second one is - obviously - work of fiction, but entertaining one. The climate of Victorian England is strong in this one, reminding me of Penny Dreadful.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
26-12-2016, 11:31 AM
"Baa, baa, black sheep. Have you any wool?"

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
26-12-2016, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2016 05:06 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
The Diamond Sutra, Essays on Idleness. I just finished Hōjōki, which is an excellent short little work by a medieval Japanese monk, who witnessed many disasters and social upheaval, which led him to live as a hermit in a small hut. I have The Collected Songs of Cold Mountain as well. I'm not normally interested in poetry, but looking into it.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
29-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Heirs to Forgotten Kingdoms, by Gerard Russell. A fascinating tour of the Middle East's vanishing communities of Yazidis, Zoroastrians, Mandaeans, Chaldean Christians and others. This book reminds me of William Dalrymple's From The Holy Mountain, which I read a few years back and in which Dalrymple warned that communities and cities [like Aleppo] and the architectural wonders their ancestors had built were under threat of annihilation at the hands of religious lunatics and millennia-old tribalist psychoses. Since the publication of both books, ISIS and monsters like Assad, Putin and that other fascist, bumbling cretin, Erdogan have brought about the nightmares that Dalrymple said might come to pass while we clever people in the West, our priorities always right, worry about the apparently startling number of celebrities that have died in 2016.
[+] 2 users Like Gert Heide's post