What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
29-12-2016, 11:43 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Skunk Works by Ben Rich.

Awesome insight into the legendary inner workings of the Lockheed Skunk Works that designed planes like the U2, F117 and SR-71.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
29-12-2016, 11:58 AM
I have been rereading all the Bloom County books that have been in my collection, some for nearly thirty years. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-12-2016, 02:02 AM
Poland as periphery under the redaction of Tomasz Zarycki.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Lower Power by Marta Kisiel. It's lighthearted fantasy about guy living in a house with pint sized Cthulhu-esque ancient evil which likes to cook and his guardian angel who have habit of ending each sentence with "hallelujah".

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-01-2017, 02:42 PM
The Better Angels of Our Nature by Steven Pinker.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 4 users Like Marozz's post
05-01-2017, 02:50 PM
David Deutsch,

The Beginning Of Infinity;

The Fabric Of Reality
[+] 1 user Likes excitedpenguin's post
05-01-2017, 08:16 PM
Just finished up The Nightmare Stacks by Charles Stross. It's the latest in his Laundry Files urban fantasy/Cthulhu Mythos/dark comedy series. We switch to a new character POV this time, who is absolutely terrified of the guy we followed around for most of the series so far...with good reasons really. it felt a bit flat to me compared to some of the others, but was still quite excellent.

Facing the possibility of now being a secret agent and living in a reality where there was a megachurch acting as a front for a dead god's fertility cult trying to end the world, a simple wrong computer calculation could wipe out most of Europe by accidentally summoning an eldritch abomination, and death only means that HR re-animates your corpse as a "residual human resource"...and recently becoming a PHANG (vampire but caused by extradimensional parasitic entities that will eat your brain matter if you don't feed), the main character's major worry for several chapters at one point, is that he's afraid of his parents asking him why he's not got a wife yet, when they can have grandchildren, and why has he left his job in banking to become a civil servant?

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2017, 02:30 AM
Beria: Le Janus du Kremlin by Françoise Thom. Expected something different, got Beria apology of arguable validity with a priori dismissal of some sources named Khrushchev vulgate, and fanciful tale of Beria and Malenkov poisoning Stalin.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
12-01-2017, 02:46 AM
I am not reading anything of real importance. I flip through aviation history and technical books. Unit histories, details of aircraft etc.

It's pure fun.

What I am really searching for now are unit histories of the IJN and IJA air forces during the invasion of China and WWII.

I am doing the same with the Luftwaffe. Sadly the Luftwaffe high command building was bombed, so much has not survived.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Miroir de l'Occident: Le nazisme et la civilisation occidentale by Jean-Louis Vullierme, and From the Communist Project to the Neoliberal Utopia by Andrzej Walicki.

Mikhail Bakunin.