What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
11-02-2017, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2017 07:40 AM by The Organic Chemist.)
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Ignition! by John Clark

It details the development of rocket fuels post WWII. If you love sarcasm and can't believe the kind of stuff people would do in the 50's, read it. It is out of print but you can get it on kindle from Amazon for like a buck and there are also pdf's on the internet for free. As a chemist, I found myself saying WTF???!!!! A TON. If you want a teaser, I'll give you one: It involves a rocket motor that was actually built and tested that used MERCURY as a propellant. No shit.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
11-02-2017, 10:52 PM
Not The Impossible Faith by Richard Carrier

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
12-02-2017, 07:20 PM
(11-02-2017 10:12 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Ignition! by John Clark

It details the development of rocket fuels post WWII. If you love sarcasm and can't believe the kind of stuff people would do in the 50's, read it. It is out of print but you can get it on kindle from Amazon for like a buck and there are also pdf's on the internet for free. As a chemist, I found myself saying WTF???!!!! A TON. If you want a teaser, I'll give you one: It involves a rocket motor that was actually built and tested that used MERCURY as a propellant. No shit.

Wow! I didn't even know that was possible.

I'm currently re-reading The Sindbad Voyage (1983) by Tim Severin. It recounts the adventurer finding funding from Omani royals to build a traditional boom ship using 9th-century sewn-plank technology, and then sailing the vessel from the eastern coast of the Arabian peninsula to Southern China. Here is a good review.

https://alastairsavage.wordpress.com/201...m-severin/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2017, 07:25 PM
I'm reading TTA forum.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
13-02-2017, 08:05 AM
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
[+] 1 user Likes Walter's post
14-02-2017, 04:18 AM
The Formation of The Soviet Union by Richard Pipes.

It's book from 1974, published in Poland in 2015. That's sad I must say.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
18-02-2017, 11:34 AM
Just finished two books.

Caught in the Pulpit by Daniel Dennett and Linda LaScola is a more in depth look at their interviewees from the original study for preachers who didn't believe, and a few more.

Path of Heaven is a Warhammer 40k Horus Heresy novel. The White Scars space marines are fighting their way back to Terra, so that they may honor their oaths and stand with the Emperor in the final cataclysmic battle that will determine the fate of the galaxy for the next ten thousand years...

And they make it at the end of the novel.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
21-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Inside the Third Reich - Memoirs by Albert Speer.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
22-02-2017, 08:06 AM
I am currently about half way through The Hardball Times Baseball Annual 2017.
22-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Reading for fun. I recently finished the Drizzt series by RA Salvator, and now I'm working on his book The Highwayman. I think I've read it before, or at least some of it, but I don't recall much of it.