What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
22-02-2017, 01:22 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Order by Marcin Jamiołkowski - polish take on Jim Butcher Harry Dresden series.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2017, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2017 03:32 PM by beeglez.)
Currently reading "Final Approach" by Lyle Prouse. Lyle Prouse is a retired airline Captain from Northwest Airlines. In 1990, he was one of 3 airline crew on Flight 650 arrested and imprisoned for flying under the influence. He went on to remain sober and eventually regained his FAA certifications. This is my review on Amazon. By the way, there is another "Final Approach" by John J. Nance that is a fictional aviation thriller. Also very good.
" I remember when this happened. I was in high school at the time. I watched it on the news and remember judging the pilots harshly, and thinking they deserved what they got. I did laugh at the late night comedian jokes as well. I now have a deeper understanding of addiction, and have seen friends and other good people battle this. I'm a medical professional, and have seen the devastating effects addictions have on personal and professional life of the addicted individuals. I'm glad programs exist that allow professionals in recovery to resume their professional lives.

I also have a casual interest in aviation and read quite a bit of aviation fiction as well as true stories such as this. I'm less than halfway through this book, and can hardly put it down. It's such a raw and honest insight into the incident and its aftermath through the eyes of Captian Prouse. I admire his determination, contrition, strength, honesty, and his ability to acknowledge how others were impacted by his alcoholism as well as his appreciation for their role in his recovery.
22-02-2017, 04:32 PM
Rereading 1984. I feel like I need some pointers.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like ShadowProject's post
23-02-2017, 07:01 AM
The Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt
[+] 1 user Likes Lucipurr's post
23-02-2017, 09:06 AM
(22-02-2017 04:32 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Rereading 1984. I feel like I need some pointers.

Pointers? I guess I won't spoil you too much, then. Undecided
24-02-2017, 05:13 AM
The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
24-02-2017, 07:53 AM
(22-02-2017 04:32 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  Rereading 1984. I feel like I need some pointers.

In his more seriously written articles, he was a proponent of an armed population as being critical to Democracy Tongue

'Murican Canadian
27-02-2017, 07:42 AM
The Third Reich at War by Richard Evans.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-02-2017, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2017 07:27 PM by Thoreauvian.)
I'm currently reading both The Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant and Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin, since I just finished watching Ken Burns The Civil War series on Netflix.

But all of that's just procrastination, since I want to read about 40 books on climate change this year and I'm putting it all off until April.
27-02-2017, 09:54 PM
Love and Will by Rollo May.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user