What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
24-03-2017, 05:37 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Journey By Moonlight by Antal Szerb.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2017, 06:56 PM
I am still reading The Airman and the Carpenter by Ludovic Kennedy. Drinking Beverage
24-03-2017, 07:02 PM
(24-03-2017 06:56 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  I am still reading The Airman and the Carpenter by Ludovic Kennedy. Drinking Beverage

I've never heard of that one, I should check it out.

I'm reading Demon Haunted world by Carl Sagan.

I'm also reading the Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (only on laundry day though, while waiting for clothes to wash)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
24-03-2017, 07:10 PM
(24-03-2017 07:02 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(24-03-2017 06:56 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  I am still reading The Airman and the Carpenter by Ludovic Kennedy. Drinking Beverage

I've never heard of that one, I should check it out.

I'm reading Demon Haunted world by Carl Sagan.

I'm also reading the Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster (only on laundry day though, while waiting for clothes to wash)

The Airman and the Carpenter is about the Lindberg Kidnapping.

I have The Demon Haunted World in my private library, but it's been quite a few years since I read it. Maybe I'll read it again this summer.
12-04-2017, 06:20 PM
It's very rare, but once in a while, a book comes along that completely entrances me in more than an academic fascination or piece of escapist fiction. Rather it's one that speaks to me at a base level almost. American War by Omar El Akkad is one such book; I've read it's 333 pages in two days. It's set in the years following the Second American Civil War and the Reunification Plague (which kills 110 million people). We meet a young girl, Sara T. Chestnut, whose teacher mistakenly calls her Sarat and it sticks...and then we see her life in the post climate change world, where some of the states are fully submerged by the sea, where fossil fuels are outlawed, where the U.S. government has lost control of its vast drone fleets, and where war rages in the form of primarily asymmetric warfare. To say more is a spoiler, so, putting it under a tag:
More than that, it's the story of innocence lost and how people are turned into terrorists. It's the story of how Sarat lost her father in a terrorist suicide bombing as he sought a work permit to get his family into the North. It's how fighting drove her mother and siblings into a refugee camp in the deep South. It's the story of her radicalization in that refugee camp. It's the story of how she assassinates the most powerful General in America and worsens the war. It's the story of how she is picked up and tortured for seven years after her recruiter sells her out. It's the story of a newborn Empire in the Middle East giving her the ability to strike back at the North, to further their own interests. It's the story of how she unleashes the Reunification Plague on their behalf, killing a third of the U.S. population, North and South both.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
12-04-2017, 06:24 PM
Scapegoat by Anthony Scaduto Drinking Beverage
13-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Also just finished Master of Mankind from the Warhammer 40,000 Horus Heresy series. Not available in U.S. bookstores yet, but a student loaned me his copy he got from Games Workshop. It makes the Emperor appear to be more of a dick than previously thought, but the end of the novel, and the author's note confirms something I've argued about with other 40k fans...

Warhammer 40,000 isn't a story about over the top heroes and the desperate struggle to save humanity eventually against all odds. It's the story of how humanity dies.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-04-2017, 02:44 PM
What Are You Currently Reading?
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
13-04-2017, 09:48 PM
A book by Christopher Moore called Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend. It's irreverently humorous!
13-04-2017, 10:21 PM
(13-04-2017 09:48 PM)captainphilbo Wrote:  A book by Christopher Moore called Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend. It's irreverently humorous!

> That book is hilarious. I read it last year and passed it on to my atheist nephew when I was done with it. Smile