What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
23-09-2011, 12:54 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
I cheat and listen to books on tape. I don't have time to sit and read, so I hope this counts. Blush

I just finished up Frank Schaffer's "Sex, Mom and God," which was both very enlightening with respect to the early right wing crazy movement, and frustrating as he is still involved with church for some reason.

I'm listening to Tiny Fey's "Bossypants" and Catherine Valente's "Deathless."

Next up will be David Eagleman's "Incognito."

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Currently reading a lot of different stuff, (Stephen King, watchmen, George Orwell etc.) and on the sideline im reading the bible (Know thy enemy!).
[+] 1 user Likes Jakel's post
27-10-2011, 06:42 AM
The Bible. <= Fail and hell no.

Just watching some history channel documentaries, useless for now but useful for later. Smile
27-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm currently reading "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. Anyone else read it? It's pretty long, like I have been reading long novels all year this year, but this is longer still... So far it's okay.
28-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Currently reading Catch-22. That book will drive you crazy and then make you sane again in a single chapter. It's good stuff.
04-11-2011, 09:44 AM

Honestly
I'm reading the Bible, all of the way through.

I'm agnostic, but I want to know the facts that I am against so that I can back them up, without looking like I don't have a clue of what I'm talking about.

I'm also reading

"Crank"-Ellen Hopkins

"Zombie Blondes"-Brian James

"I Have a Wicked Stepmother, So Where's My Prince"-Mellissa Kantor
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Chariots of the Gods - Erich Von Daniken

While most of the stuff in his book is considered bogus, I find it interesting to entertain the thought of E.T. having contact with humans.
02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
The Collected Philosophy of Kant. For a week, and I'm on page 37. Tongue

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-12-2011, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2011 04:57 PM by Organon.)
About the Holy Bible by Robert G. Ingersoll

A wonderfully written in-depth critique of the Holey Babble.

Available free as an e-book form Gutenberg.org :

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37703

For those who don't know the Christian holy book, it's a great chance to learn a few truths about it.
(04-11-2011 09:44 AM)calmyourtitsbro Wrote:  Honestly
I'm reading the Bible, all of the way through.

I'm agnostic, but I want to know the facts that I am against so that I can back them up, without looking like I don't have a clue of what I'm talking about.

I'd never seen/opened a bible until 2 years ago, when I decided to do some research and I have to say I was pretty disgusted to think that there are are 25% of the people on the planet(Christians) who are potential followers of the bible nonsense!. Hope you are enjoying your read! You might want to see my post about Robert Ingersoll. He makes some good observations that can be used against bible lovers.

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
[+] 1 user Likes Organon's post
08-12-2011, 06:06 PM
(08-12-2011 04:40 PM)Organon Wrote:  About the Holy Bible by Robert G. Ingersoll

I got this far: Ecclesiastes is the most thoughtful book in the Bible. It was written by an unbeliever—a philosopher—an agnostic. Take out the interpolations, and it is in accordance with the thought of the Nineteenth Century. In this book are found the most philosophic and poetic passages in the Bible.

Yeah, he knows what he's talking about. A good link for those whose minds are not closed. Believers, however, would just give it a "bah humbug."

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user