What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
14-04-2017, 12:28 AM
I'm rereading Neil Gaiman's American Gods. I'm refreshing my memory before the TV adaptation comes on at the end of the month.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Rachel's post
14-04-2017, 09:10 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Partly because of the "Anti-Materialism" discussion over in the Philosophy forum, I'm reading Edward Feser's Philosophy of Mind. Feser is a dualist (of course he is -- he's Catholic), but as far as I can tell, he is giving a balanced treatment of the field. A bit dry, but still interesting (to me, at least).
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
19-04-2017, 10:05 PM
The End of Europe: Dictators, Demagogues, and the Coming Dark Age by James Kirchick.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
20-04-2017, 03:49 AM
I've finished The Airman and the Carpenter and Scapegoat. I'm convinced that Bruno Hauptmann was the victim of a frame-up.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
21-04-2017, 08:34 AM
FINALLY finished Stephen King's IT.

Decent book. It goes a bit batshit crazy towards the end but recovers for a decent ending. Looking forward to the movie.

I only have a few things on my shelf left to read, although a friend from work has borrowed me another Stephen King book, Christine. So will give that a go Smile

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
21-04-2017, 12:55 PM
"The End of Europe" is depressing read - denial of history in Hungary, refusing to see any problem with immigrants, left colluding with islamists, hate crimes disproportionaly high when it comes to Jews. If author is not exaggerating Europe is indeed in dire straits.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
21-04-2017, 03:37 PM
> I'm presently reading a long article about Hadrian's Wall in the latest issue of ARCHAEOLOGY.
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
23-04-2017, 07:29 PM
I'm reading the kindle edition of Religion in the Emergence of Civilization: Çatalhöyük as a Case Study (2010)

From amazon:

Quote:This book presents an interdisciplinary study of the role of spirituality and religious ritual in the emergence of complex societies. Involving an eminent group of natural scientists, archaeologists, anthropologists, philosophers, and theologians, this volume examines Çatalhöyük as a case study. A nine-thousand-year old town in central Turkey, Çatalhöyük was first excavated in the 1960s and has since become integral to understanding the symbolic and ritual worlds of the early farmers and village-dwellers in the Middle East. It is thus an ideal location for exploring theories about the role of religion in early settled life. This book provides a unique overview of current debates concerning religion and its historical variations. Through exploration of themes including the integration of the spiritual and the material, the role of belief in religion, the cognitive bases for religion, and religion's social roles, this book situates the results from Çatalhöyük within a broader understanding of the Neolithic in the Middle East.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2017, 11:18 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2017 11:28 AM by kim.)
So, I got stuck at work and ... and she just recently died and ... and ...
No, I'm not going to apologise for my guilty pleasure.

The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher

Frankly, it isn't even a true guilty pleasure because I've never felt guilty about reading Carrie Fisher's writing. She was a good writer - very personable, guileless, and she often tackled quite complex ideas and sentiments which she observed, sprang from very mundane situations in which she found herself. Carrie Fisher was an honest writer.

In her latest - her last book - Carrie took a look back. She found the diaries she kept in her teens & early twentys and in the similar way that much of her other work isn't actually a "tell-all", Carrie tells all. Sort of. Things never are what might be imagined ... nothing's ever that good.

I haven't even gotten through their first make out session yet but, regarding Harrison Ford: wow. (small case - because, it's personal and I'm smiling to myself and nodding) I have to say, Carrie has made me feel like the excited, slightly awkward teen, encountering that "older man relationship" ...
I'm quite glad this book was written and I think it's apropos that everyone's favorite princess wrote it. Shy

Now, guilty pleasure ...
[Image: 2n0vac5.jpg]

Come on ... you know you want this.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse by Victor Gischler

Good trashy fun! ...my expectations weren't exactly high going in, but it's really not that bad.