What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
13-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Finished Figes "Revolutionary Russia 1891-1991. A History". It's overly simplistic and too focused on Stalin reign to warrant the title. Even when on subject of mustached Georgian rule it fail in comparison with Khlevniuk new biography of Stalin. Other parts just disappoint - nothing new.

I would say that it is book for laypersons but that's not really the case - starting from simple may be good, starting from simplistic isn't.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2017, 01:13 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Daemon and Freedom from Daniel Suarez. Extremely well written and well worth a read.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
15-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Mock by Marek Krajewski. It's crime story which takes place in pre war Breslau.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
16-05-2017, 08:54 AM
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
16-05-2017, 09:01 AM
(16-05-2017 08:54 AM)Astreja Wrote:  One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez.

Felt like it took me about this long to finish it Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
17-05-2017, 03:00 AM
Finished Christine by Stephen King, which was "OK".

Kind of done with Mr King for the time being, and as I have no other books on my shelf that I haven't read, I'm going to re-read the Hitchhikers Guide series, as it makes me laugh.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
18-05-2017, 11:13 AM
I needed some light reading, so I took a gander and read Hemant Mehta's "I Sold My Soul on eBay", just going to copy my Goodreads review:
Quote:Having just finished the Case for Christ, perhaps the worst work of apologetics I've read, this book was like a breath of fresh air. Mehta describes this as a book for Christians and atheists, but really, it's primarily for Christians.

People get defensive as he doesn't talk much about doctrine, dogma, or other things that are important to devout Christians, however, they fail to realize, that's not the point. The point of this book is to show the nature of corporate worship through the eyes of someone who does not usually attend, and what sort of things they look for. So when he keeps talking about pastors' personal charisma, the hate shown by some people, or just the fact that there ALWAYS is a television camera blocking his view of the stage at any Evangelical church, these are things that are worth noting. Outsiders don't care about the doctrine, they don't believe in it, and if they do come to believe, they'll learn about it better at a later date.

What Mehta does in this book is to appeal to the "seeker friendly" churches, to use the Evangelical buzzwords. He shows how they can improve their branding and guest retention experience in an era when church attendance is on the decline. All in all, this is 5 stars for me, because it's a better and more honest look at Christianity and Christians than any other book I've read recently.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
18-05-2017, 11:37 AM
The Ministry of Guidance Invites You to Not Stay, by Hooman Majd. Great books like this on Iran offer an insight into a culture that is, so far as most of its largely under-30 population is concerned, what ours would be if several thousand psychopaths all as deranged as Mary Tudor were empowered to threaten, arrest, torture and hang you on a whim.

Equally fascinating are City of Lies by Ramita Navai and Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. For a gentler and nostalgic look at the real 'God's Own Country', I'd recommend Uncle Napoleon by Iraj Pezeshkzad, possibly Iran's closest to Mark Twain in terms of a sense of humour.
[+] 2 users Like Gert Heide's post
18-05-2017, 11:44 AM
(16-05-2017 09:01 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(16-05-2017 08:54 AM)Astreja Wrote:  One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez.

Felt like it took me about this long to finish it Drinking Beverage

You too? I read, and enjoyed one of GGM's books as a kid in high school. Later - much later - I picked up One Hundred Years... at a garage sale, expecting to enjoy this just as much. Oooops. If I ever fall into a coma for a very long time, it will be a repeat of the experience, only not nearly as agonising. Pretentious and and utterly without point or meaning. What is it with fans of Magical Realism? You can find more entertaining and more imaginative writing in the token short story in some high school yearbook.
18-05-2017, 05:24 PM
(18-05-2017 11:44 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  
(16-05-2017 09:01 AM)Vera Wrote:  Felt like it took me about this long to finish it Drinking Beverage

You too? I read, and enjoyed one of GGM's books as a kid in high school. Later - much later - I picked up One Hundred Years... at a garage sale, expecting to enjoy this just as much. Oooops. If I ever fall into a coma for a very long time, it will be a repeat of the experience, only not nearly as agonising. Pretentious and and utterly without point or meaning. What is it with fans of Magical Realism? You can find more entertaining and more imaginative writing in the token short story in some high school yearbook.

Wow! Speaking of pretention, did you read your own post?
I found One Hundred Years of Solitude to be wonderfully imaginative. It's pure storytelling. Those who feel the need to find meaning in fiction confound me. I find that writers who set out to deliver "a point" often produce the worst kind of writing. So I'm wondering if you could provide some examples of good books "with meaning", that I can better understand what you mean.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)