What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
19-05-2017, 03:04 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Pshaw, romantics! Detested them in lit class at uni (and I *loved* the teacher). As if one can ever poke *enough* fun at them. But one can certainly try Big Grin

[Image: byron7.jpg]

SOLID POUTY BYRON. He’s got some secret freaky brocade vest on under his cloak, which is probably full of dildos, his brow situation is ferociously organized, his out-of-frame hand is probably jerking off the devil, because there’s some sort of flame situation going on in the lower right-hand corner."

[Image: byron8.jpg]

"Ver-r-r-y Byron. At first glance, you might be tempted to think, “Not very Byron,” because there are other people in the picture, and his alabaster brow isn’t the focal point. This is an error. “You there, boy, fetch into this dinghy and sail into yon exhilarating storm, while I stand here and clench my fist over this rock. If you drown in the background, it will make for a very exciting painting.” He’s wearing like eighteen ascots and they’re all flowing in a tempest, plenty of Byron here.""

And then there are these gems and I laughed so hard, my face still hurts... I dare anyone to read the originals and not agree that this is exactly what the bozo is saying

"I’m almost F O R T Y
are there even ages after forty or do you just turn into a tree

Is anyone ever going to have sex with me again
oh my God, my body is like autumn
like when all the leaves are falling off the trees
only what’s falling off of me is hotness
why don’t I just DIE
why don’t you all just set me on fire
that’s the same thing as being thirty-seven..." [Image: hehe.gif]

Oh My God You Guys, I’m Fucking Thirty-Six Now
Thirty-Six
I Have To Like…Oh My God

I’m officially too old to love, I feel like
No one is even in love with me right now,
which is garbage,
okay some people are obviously but none of them count
oh my god what if I’m too old for sex, I’m almost F O R T Y
are there even ages after forty or do you just turn into a tree

Is anyone ever going to have sex with me again
oh my God, my body is like autumn
like when all the leaves are falling off the trees
only what’s falling off of me is hotness
why don’t I just DIE
why don’t you all just set me on fire
that’s the same thing as being thirty-seven

ugh who could have guessed that repeatedly abandoning my sex partners would result in so much loneliness
UUUUUGHHHHHHH

maybe I will just move to Greece
honestly I could just move to Greece and die in battle like a Spartan
and then everyone would want to have sex with me
only it’ll be too late
because of how dead and in Greece I’ll be

oh my god my life is a mess
I need to just be more like Greece
and then I’ll be fine
or dead
or both

THIS IS HAPPENING TO ME

being thirty-six and embarrassed is the worst thing I can think of
I used to be twenty and not care about anything
if I start caring about things now I’ll be ruined
the hottest thing in the world is not caring
and then being like, seventeen
a seventeen-year-old who’s never had a feeling is the only acceptable way to live, sexually

honestly if I’m not careful I’m going to end up being thirty-seven
better just go die in a field
in Greece or wherever

lol Annabella is gonna feel so bad when she sees how dead I am
Lukas too
turn ME down
does he even know how many things and people I’ve not cared about hotly
I’ll get stabbed by some Ottomans or whomever
that’ll show em all

N.B. Lord Byron died in bed.

I feel like if our hair is touching
it’s sort of like we’re doing it already
and I don’t really think “saying anything about our feelings”
is more powerful than just how much our hair is touching
Like I already gave you the hair
from my HEAD
which is the best part of my face outside of my lips
is the head
It’s my favorite part of me that’s above the neck
Anyhow.
What else do I have to do to prove my love for you?
Some men (Keats for example but I’m not naming names)
don’t even have enough hair that they could give you any extra.
I could give you like half of my hair
and I’d still have a full head left over to give to Shelley
or whomever.

So I honestly don’t understand why you’re crying
LYDIA
is it because you ENJOY making me wait outside for you
in a GARDEN
like some sort of ANIMAL
or ITALIAN
like some sort of ITALIAN ANIMAL, LYDIA
is it because you saw Romeo and Juliet once
and you thought the only place anyone ever goes for surreptitious handjobs is a garden
because there are a lot of places
Lydia
where people can go for surreptitious handjobs
can I at least come inside
it’s fucking England out here
it’s Italy inside my pants though
if you catch my drift
goddamnit woman I gave you a piece of my hair
please just can we fuck indoors

(Yeah, I've seen that one - I think it was in a list of composers insulting each other. Hilarious. But also somewhat disheartening...)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
19-05-2017, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2017 08:46 PM by Vera.)
(19-05-2017 01:07 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 12:54 PM)Vera Wrote:  I honestly can find neither the desire nor the strength to get all bent out of indignant shape because someone dislikes something I like or to gallop to its rescue.

Do I think Tchaikovsky an idiot for calling Handel's music fourth-rate? You bet your derriere I do. Do I feel the need to start ranting and accusing people of being stupid or pretentious? Yeah, life's too short for this and I am too sure of my OPINIONS and subjective tastes to waste even a second of my precious, limited time.

Don't have any trouble taking the time to scold others, though, do you?

Touchy, eh?

Which part exactly was the scolding, if you don't mind pointing it out to me... me, being on the stupid side, apparently Drinking Beverage

Unless it was poor Pyotr Ilyich you're so concerned about, but what with him being dead *and* an atheist while alive, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you Drinking Beverage

20-05-2017, 03:01 AM
(19-05-2017 10:56 AM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 12:33 AM)Gert Heide Wrote:  Pretentious? Anyone who uses 'Vivian Darkbloom' [the letters of Nabokov's name re-arranged by himself for comic effect] would surely be a world expert on pretentiousness.

So what's your excuse?

If you're going to be pretentious you can at least have good taste.

Care to address the second part of my post or give examples of great writers you consider unpretentious?

Mea culpa. I omitted responding to the second part of your post. On reflection, I think it's rather a tall order and rather pointless too. Every great writer and every great novel has an army of detractors. None of these critics' arguments make sense to the great writer's fans. It's not, in fact, about pretentiousness or whether a writer has great ideas [artlessly shoe-horned into the text, usually, in the absurd belief that the author's take on the big issues of the day is the wisest of all and requires to be heard] but tedium. American novelists, IMVHO, excel at padding out books with immensely boring tonnage that's better dealt with in Political Philosophy 101. The fabulous - as in unrealistic fable -characters are, again IMVHO, mannequins over whom this mind-numbing pontification is ladled like gloop. History's great novels, by way of contrast, have rarely done this, instead taking their microscopes to the lives of peasants and non-entities. If I had to name an author who conforms to this pattern and whose prose is, to me at least, coma-inducing, it's Don De Lillo. But any case his detractors occasionally make is drowned out by the choruses of approval.
[+] 1 user Likes Gert Heide's post
20-05-2017, 09:51 AM
(23-04-2017 07:29 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I'm reading the kindle edition of Religion in the Emergence of Civilization: Çatalhöyük as a Case Study (2010)

From amazon:

Quote:This book presents an interdisciplinary study of the role of spirituality and religious ritual in the emergence of complex societies. Involving an eminent group of natural scientists, archaeologists, anthropologists, philosophers, and theologians, this volume examines Çatalhöyük as a case study. A nine-thousand-year old town in central Turkey, Çatalhöyük was first excavated in the 1960s and has since become integral to understanding the symbolic and ritual worlds of the early farmers and village-dwellers in the Middle East. It is thus an ideal location for exploring theories about the role of religion in early settled life. This book provides a unique overview of current debates concerning religion and its historical variations. Through exploration of themes including the integration of the spiritual and the material, the role of belief in religion, the cognitive bases for religion, and religion's social roles, this book situates the results from Çatalhöyük within a broader understanding of the Neolithic in the Middle East.

Still working my way slowly through this piece. There are 12 chapters altogether counting the conclusion. Chapter one is a general introduction and two has information about the archaeological finds at Catalhoyuk (pronounced "Cha-tal-hoo-yook") and comparisons with other neolithic religious sites such as the older Gobekli Tepe. Both one and two are written by Ian Hodder, the project head at the site.

The third chapter is completely useless in my eyes. It was written by a theologian talking about how archaeology and theology are not mutually exclusive. I'm looking for interpretations, not apologetics. Despite my annoyance with this chapter (which I found myself skimming more than reading), it highlights the holistic approach at the site, which draws on the expertise of archaeology, bio anthropology, art history, theology, and psychology.

The forth, which is written by a different person, talks about using neuropsychology to interpret paleolithic and neolithic art and material culture to determine what the religious beliefs may have been. It's a little too heavy on the theory side for my taste, and the author spends the majority of it recapping the work of other researchers. This was annoying, but the chapter does have some interesting incites, such as evidence for imaginative, trance-based "experience" giving way to doctrinal "ritual" at the site. This progression is mapped through the various layers, which were inhabited by different generations over hundreds of years. This is interesting because it serves as a microcosmic snapshot of the evolution of religion in general.

I've just dipped my toes into chapter five, which should get into actual interpretation of the evidence mentioned in prior chapters.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
21-05-2017, 08:37 AM
Right now I'm reading Wounds of Honour by Anthony Riches.. Good book about life in a Roman auxiliary legion

Highly recommend it

Oh no. He's here - God
21-05-2017, 01:29 PM
(19-05-2017 08:43 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 01:07 PM)Vivian Darkbloom Wrote:  Don't have any trouble taking the time to scold others, though, do you?

Touchy, eh?

Which part exactly was the scolding, if you don't mind pointing it out to me... me, being on the stupid side, apparently :cup:

Unless it was poor Pyotr Ilyich you're so concerned about, but what with him being dead *and* an atheist while alive, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you :cup:

Well, you admitted you thought P.I.T an idiot for his views on Handel but seem to look on anybody who would rise in Handel's defense as automatically "ranting".
While this may often be true, passions do run high when something beloved is referred to in a derogatory manner, especially when done so by a reader who lionizes an inferior writer or work, it does not always indicate that a person is insecure in their opinions.

I found the article you quoted as a reply to be off the mark, at least as it concerned me. And I thought, if you were using it to express your own thoughts about the thoughts of others, you were doing a bit of scolding.

Maybe I overreacted or something, or perhaps it was the insufferably smug coffee drinking emoji that sent me to the snarkside.

But then you went and attacked the Romantics, something I thought you were too level-headed to do....

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
21-05-2017, 01:38 PM
[Image: giphy.gif]

"Attacking" the Romantics? Seriously? If you can't handle a freaking joke then... well, frankly, go ahead and don't handle it. No skin off my nose. All I know is, taking myself and my opinions so seriously doesn't really appeal to me, but to each their own, coffeecupcake Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
21-05-2017, 06:33 PM
I'm working through Solve For Happy by Mo Gawdat. I was attracted to it because he's the only person I've ever heard think of happiness as an equation. I have usually expressed it as, happiness is the absence of suffering, and suffering is the impedance mismatch between what you expect from life and what you get from it. Therefore, one becomes less unhappy by some combination of improving your experiences and lowering your expectations.

Also, the author and I share the loss of an adult son in common.

I am about halfway through it and honestly not that impressed. It seems to be a melding of Buddhist, Hindu and Muslim mysticism. Typical "let go of attachments" stuff, "don't fret about what isn't actionable", that kind of thing. It is fairly sound, actually, just not providing much new insight for me. He does make some good points about how it is not so much what happens to you, as how you perceive / interpret / frame what happens.

The book also suffers from being authored by a rich globe-trotting capitalist (high muck-a-muck at Google), which I think reduces his credibility. Having zero money worries goes a long way towards helping you rationalize painful things. Lately there seems to be a rash of self-revelatory books by rich elites, like Sheryl Sandberg's book about grieving her husband's death (she's FaceBook's CFO). Somehow there's something unsavory about a wealthy person monetizing even their heartaches.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
22-05-2017, 05:45 AM
"Liars" by Glenn Beck

"Free Women Free Men" by Camille Paglia

"Katherine" by Anya Seton

The first two for learning and the last one for love; this will be the eighth time I have read it since seventh grade. When you are in love, it is a never-ending story. I have several books with which I am in love.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
22-05-2017, 09:39 AM
I was bored yesterday, so I DL'ed Mary Roach's Spook. I thought something light and funny would do the trick. I don't like reading, but I'm so bored these days.
[+] 1 user Likes big green mouth's post