What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
22-08-2017, 06:50 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
I am reading the words as I type them.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
22-08-2017, 06:57 AM
I just finished "A Briefer History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and I'm currently reading "We Have No Idea: A Guide to the Unknown Universe" by Daniel Whiteson. This book in particular is a great introduction to those who are new to physics as well as those who are looking for a laugh (especially if bad-yet-still-funny puns are your thing).

I'm also reading "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky and hope to start reading George Orwell's "The 1984" once I've finished.
[+] 3 users Like 404ReligionNotFound's post
22-08-2017, 06:59 AM
(22-08-2017 06:57 AM)404ReligionNotFound Wrote:  I'm also reading "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Great book. Have you read The idiot or The Karamazov brothers?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Finished Wachsmann "KL: A History of the Nazi Concentration Camps". It's accesible and enlightening while not being simplistic. Still it's more like introduction to the subject. It's not exactly minus though.

@Banjo

Couldn't finish "Idiot". Didn't found it interesting.

Speaking of Russians I have high hopes for Dmitry S. Likhachev "Reflections on the Russian soul : a memoir", which were recently mentioned in literature section of Kultura Liberalna* (Liberal Culture) one of few polish sites that I still bother with.

*Available in English and German too.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-08-2017, 03:50 PM
It by Stephen King and One Nation Under Gods: A History of the Mormon Church by Richard Abanes.

One of them is a very long horror story about psychologically unstable individuals and atrocities.

Oh, and the other's about a killer clown. Tongue

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
24-08-2017, 04:51 AM
(23-08-2017 03:50 PM)TSG Wrote:  It by Stephen King

I found it a good read, not "scary" in any way, but a really good story. I will say it goes a bit bonkers towards the end, and things make you say "rrrrrrright" [/Dr Evil] but otherwise it's pretty good Thumbsup

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2017, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2017 07:14 AM by Thoreauvian.)
I'm currently reading and taking notes from over 50 books on climate change and related topics. I'm about 30 books in, and should finish later this year.
24-08-2017, 09:17 AM
(23-08-2017 03:50 PM)TSG Wrote:  One Nation Under Gods: A History of the Mormon Church by Richard Abanes.

Update: while I was researching in the JSTOR database I thought I might check to see if this book had any reviews as a history. Sure enough, I was able to find two. They indicated that the book was heavily biased against Mormonism and used biased sources to make outlandish claims. I was aghast, of course, not wanting to get a skewed or inaccurate picture of Mormonism. Then I checked who the authors of the reviews were. They were both writers for Brigham Young University.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna keep reading it. Rolleyes

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]
24-08-2017, 11:05 AM
(24-08-2017 09:17 AM)TSG Wrote:  
(23-08-2017 03:50 PM)TSG Wrote:  One Nation Under Gods: A History of the Mormon Church by Richard Abanes.

Update: while I was researching in the JSTOR database I thought I might check to see if this book had any reviews as a history. Sure enough, I was able to find two. They indicated that the book was heavily biased against Mormonism and used biased sources to make outlandish claims. I was aghast, of course, not wanting to get a skewed or inaccurate picture of Mormonism. Then I checked who the authors of the reviews were. They were both writers for Brigham Young University.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna keep reading it. Rolleyes

Another interesting book about the Mormons is Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith. It focuses on fundamentalist Mormons (those who, among other things, still practice polygamy), but has some things to say about mainstream Mormonism as well.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
24-08-2017, 03:05 PM
I just finished a "bodice ripper" called Just One Night, by Kyra Davis. Didn't expect to find something like this in that genre of book:

"We choose our religion, our politics, our philosophies, and we see the world in a way that fits within those chosen confines. And if certain glaring facts don't fit neatly into our belief systems, we just ignore them or see them differently. We make them fit even if it means we have to squeeze them onto completely unnatural shapes."

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams