What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
31-08-2017, 04:33 AM
What Are You Currently Reading?
Finished Werner-Muller "Contesting Democracy". It's demanding yet worthy of reading if someone wants quick but not shallow overview of pre and post war European ideologies and governance styles.

Now started something lighter "Restless Dead" by Simon Beckett.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2017, 07:28 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(24-08-2017 11:05 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Another interesting book about the Mormons is Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith. It focuses on fundamentalist Mormons (those who, among other things, still practice polygamy), but has some things to say about mainstream Mormonism as well.

Yeah it was great.
I wonder what happened to the movie.
It was set to be directed by Ron Howard but it stalled.
It's been listed as "in development" for years.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/70016...-film.html

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
31-08-2017, 07:32 AM
Fisherman's friend.
Original
Exrtra strong menthol lozenges.
25g Net Weight

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
31-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Re- reading.

Tom Robbins - Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
31-08-2017, 07:58 AM
(31-08-2017 07:28 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  
(24-08-2017 11:05 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Another interesting book about the Mormons is Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith. It focuses on fundamentalist Mormons (those who, among other things, still practice polygamy), but has some things to say about mainstream Mormonism as well.

Yeah it was great.
I wonder what happened to the movie.
It was set to be directed by Ron Howard but it stalled.
It's been listed as "in development" for years.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/70016...-film.html

Hmmm... I don't know how much political power the Mormons have, but I'm sure they would rather not see this movie made.
31-08-2017, 10:25 PM
Stumbled on this whilst lurking as a Newbie here:

(19-05-2017 02:25 PM)Vera Wrote:  Yeah, and I kinda... detest Romantic music (and not sure Mahler even *counts* as music). Où sont les bonnes musiques d'antan? Tongue

Sorry but that bit about Mahler stuck in my craw. Mahler... Mahler... MAHLER... MAHLER........... Gasp
Words fail me.
Handel ?? somethig t6o do with a Messiah, fireworks, wterworks... ?

And music before Haydn , OK before Stamitz and Co too, I dont know who came first and don't really care, but music before them could have been written by any 22nd Century well tempered computer, jf perhaps not yet by a 21st Century one. Not that I do not enjoy all those Italians with their concertos, and Bach in small doses.
But Handel --- you're joking, right?

I have no musical training, play no instument, but am just as certain of my taste and judgement as you are and MAHLER, Sibelius, Shostakovich are as holy words as Mozart, Beethoven, Blerioz, Brahms and Bruckner, and MAHLER especially holy....

Handel Wagner yes, they happened and had talent, but Talent only, as far as I'm concerned., pompous Teutonic in Waqgner's case Censored
31-08-2017, 11:46 PM
A Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison. A good companion on my trip to see the eclipse and family in South Carolina ten days ago. Was interesting to think about parallels between this troubled family and the one my deceased mother grew up in while we stayed with her younger sister, my aunt.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
01-09-2017, 08:17 AM
If you think Handel is just "Messiah and fireworks" there really is no point in discussing anything. And Vivaldi is just the four seasons, I guess.

You do realise we were just kidding around and this is ALL a matter of PERSONAL opinion and taste, right? I am not looking or expecting to convince anyone of anything and CERTAINLY vice versa.

Maybe I should post again the article that started that whole discussion.... Angel

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
01-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Currently reading Edward Feser's Five Proofs of the Existence of God. I am not impressed. He pompously claims that (1) these proofs are certain, and (2) he has addressed and refuted all objections to them. I'm mostly seeing the same old same old that we've all seen many times. Unless you buy into the Aristotelian notion of hierarchical "causes", this stuff is pretty weak, and absolutely unconvincing.

As for Mahler/Wagner/Handel, etc., this thread is the wrong place for that discussion, but I will just leave a few comments.

1. Mahler and Wagner are two of my favorite composers, but they are also extremely easy to criticize. Mark Twain: "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." A friend of mine from way back had the same thing to say about both composers: They had no respect for people's time. As much as I love their music, I can't argue with that.

2. Although I like Romantic (especially late Romantic) music better than Baroque music in general, I must admit that Bach was as great a composer as anyone ever has been, and Handel is only slightly below him. Handel was Beethoven's favorite composer, and he is considered sort of a British "national composer" -- even though he was a German. He was certainly better than any native British composer.

3. As Vera says, this is all just opinion. Aesthetics is not mathematics.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
02-09-2017, 04:53 PM
(01-09-2017 08:17 AM)Vera Wrote:  If you think Handel is just "Messiah and fireworks" there really is no point in discussing anything. And Vivaldi is just the four seasons, I guess.

You do realise we were just kidding around and this is ALL a matter of PERSONAL opinion and taste, right? I am not looking or expecting to convince anyone of anything and CERTAINLY vice versa.

Maybe I should post again the article that started that whole discussion.... Angel

Oh yes. You're right. My sarcasm answered by your sarcasm. No offence irtended, it was just that your dissmissal of *my Mahler*, and such contemptous dismissal, could not be allowed to pass unanswered. Hence "waterworks and fireworks" for Handel.