What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
14-10-2017, 01:56 PM
"Hitler's Empire: Nazi Rule in Occupied Europe" by Mark Mazower.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2017, 05:25 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Right now I'm reading "Barefoot with Bob and Brian". My old englishteacher of forty years back, Lorentz Moe, wrote a book about Bob Dylan and Brian Jones, and I bought a copy from him.

At the same time I'm reading "All cratures great and small" by James Herriot. Stories from the life of a vet in the Yorkshire dales and the Pennines from the late thirties and on. An alternative title might have been "Ill creatures great and small". Eight books from a box set. I have done away with two, so there are six more to go. True happiness is when you have found a book you realy love, and there's more than 1000 pages left to read.

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
[+] 1 user Likes Harvey's post
20-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy.
20-10-2017, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2017 11:49 AM by julep.)
I just finished Kurt Andersen's Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire.

I highly recommend it. Equal amounts interesting, appalling, and depressing.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
25-10-2017, 12:31 PM
"Dog and Priest: Żertwa and Other Stories". Supernatural crime story/horror set in twilight years of Poland People Republic touching ancient myths, religion and a bit of polish folklore.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
25-10-2017, 02:54 PM
Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth. I have been alternating Philip Roth novels with other 20th-century American novels lately. This is a filthy book, but also one of the funniest books I've read. It's also a very Jewish book.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
28-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Finished "Dog and Priest" and moved to another book, historical one this time: "Extermination of Jews in the Polish province" which is antology of texts about pre-war and wartime Jewish and Polish experiences with each other. Looks promising and unbiased.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-10-2017, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2017 06:25 PM by Shai Hulud.)
"Something Other Than God" by Jennifer Fulwiler. First, I've seen her discuss this book and there are glaring differences between the book and the speeches on some pretty important details. Second, she's a "militant atheist-materialist" and the first time her future husband makes a theological argument with her, it's essentially the 747 in the junkyard and her response is basically that it makes too much sense omg... this is going to be a slog. My kingdom for Scott Hahn.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
30-10-2017, 04:02 PM
(28-10-2017 06:05 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  "Something Other Than God" by Jennifer Fulwiler. First, I've seen her discuss this book and there are glaring differences between the book and the speeches on some pretty important details. Second, she's a "militant atheist-materialist" and the first time her future husband makes a theological argument with her, it's essentially the 747 in the junkyard and her response is basically that it makes too much sense omg... this is going to be a slog. My kingdom for Scott Hahn.

I read this book when it first came out. I found it interesting, but not at all convincing.

I am currently reading Americana by Don DeLillo -- yet another in my series of 20th-century American novels. So far, I'm enjoying it -- not bad at all for a young writer's first novel.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
30-10-2017, 04:34 PM
(30-10-2017 04:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(28-10-2017 06:05 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  "Something Other Than God" by Jennifer Fulwiler. First, I've seen her discuss this book and there are glaring differences between the book and the speeches on some pretty important details. Second, she's a "militant atheist-materialist" and the first time her future husband makes a theological argument with her, it's essentially the 747 in the junkyard and her response is basically that it makes too much sense omg... this is going to be a slog. My kingdom for Scott Hahn.

I read this book when it first came out. I found it interesting, but not at all convincing.

I am currently reading Americana by Don DeLillo -- yet another in my series of 20th-century American novels. So far, I'm enjoying it -- not bad at all for a young writer's first novel.

Have you read White Noise? That's my favorite of his.