What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
30-10-2017, 04:52 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(30-10-2017 04:34 PM)julep Wrote:  
(30-10-2017 04:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I read this book when it first came out. I found it interesting, but not at all convincing.

I am currently reading Americana by Don DeLillo -- yet another in my series of 20th-century American novels. So far, I'm enjoying it -- not bad at all for a young writer's first novel.

Have you read White Noise? That's my favorite of his.

I hope to get to that one eventually. I am trying to read all the novels of Pynchon, Roth, McCarthy, and DeLillo in the order they were written -- not a trivial project! And that's in addition to some other reading projects. So White Noise (along with Underworld, which is also highly acclaimed) is probably a few years down the road. Lately, though, I'm getting through about one novel per week, so it may not be that long.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
31-10-2017, 07:16 PM
(30-10-2017 04:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I read this book when it first came out. I found it interesting, but not at all convincing.

Having finished it (so short for so much money), got to agree with you. If anything, like Case for Christ (which helped convince her...), I found it to be more detrimental to my faith than uplifting in any form.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-10-2017, 08:46 PM
(31-10-2017 07:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  

Having finished it (so short for so much money), got to agree with you. If anything, like Case for Christ (which helped convince her...), I found it to be more detrimental to my faith than uplifting in any form.

I need to find more books like that for you. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
01-11-2017, 09:46 AM
(31-10-2017 08:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-10-2017 07:16 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Having finished it (so short for so much money), got to agree with you. If anything, like Case for Christ (which helped convince her...), I found it to be more detrimental to my faith than uplifting in any form.

I need to find more books like that for you. Consider

And that's how Chas bought me Lee Strobel's entire bibliography...

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
01-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Myths of the Asanas by Alanna Kaivalya

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
01-11-2017, 12:07 PM
I've just pre-ordered the new Jack Reacher, "The Midnight Line".

Currently reading "Two Kinds of Truth" by Michael Connelly. Cool

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
03-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Twilight of the Dragons. Sequel to The Dragon Engine.

If you have read Game of Thrones and thought the dragons and the people were too nice, this is for you.
05-11-2017, 01:41 PM
What Are You Currently Reading?
The Russian Revolution by Sheila Fitzpatrick. First edition is from 1982 but it was translated into Polish this year. Quite the lag I must say.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-11-2017, 10:11 PM
I am reading a fascinating book "Disciples of Destruction: The Religious Origins of War and Terrorism". The author covers the history of the four religions in four parts: Judaism (Theology of Conquest), Christianity (Theology of Power), Islam (Theology of Plunder), and Marxism (Theology of Hate). He treats Marxism as a religion.

This book gives the clearest explanation I have ever read on how the conflict developed in the Middle East. It appears this book is out of print. I could only get a hardcopy of a used book which I ordered from Amazon.com. It makes me wonder whether this book was allowed to lapse into oblivion because it so clearly exposes the present powers.

https://www.amazon.com/Disciples-Destruc...estruction
[+] 1 user Likes Nicator's post
07-11-2017, 05:47 AM
(05-11-2017 10:11 PM)Nicator Wrote:  I am reading a fascinating book "Disciples of Destruction: The Religious Origins of War and Terrorism". The author covers the history of the four religions in four parts: Judaism (Theology of Conquest), Christianity (Theology of Power), Islam (Theology of Plunder), and Marxism (Theology of Hate). He treats Marxism as a religion.

This book gives the clearest explanation I have ever read on how the conflict developed in the Middle East. It appears this book is out of print. I could only get a hardcopy of a used book which I ordered from Amazon.com. It makes me wonder whether this book was allowed to lapse into oblivion because it so clearly exposes the present powers.

https://www.amazon.com/Disciples-Destruc...estruction

Looks interesting. Can you say something more about this book? I'm especially interested in Marxism as religion part as I don't see it often in English language books.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.