What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
09-11-2017, 02:59 PM
What Are You Currently Reading?
Finished Fitzpatrick "The Russian Revolution". For a book called RR there is surprisingly little about titular even there.

It doesn't hold a candle to works of Pipes, Figes or Malia; if I were new to the subject I wouldn't gain even shallow understanding of it. For someone who know something about Revolution book is even less worthy of reading.

All in all book is just disappointing and not worthy of reading. Perhaps in 1982 it was fresh and innovative take but today it is just sad.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
16-11-2017, 08:19 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Now reading:

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
17-11-2017, 05:35 PM
I just finished The Recently Deconverted, a novel by Jonathan Walsh. Could use some more copyediting, but what do I expect for a cheap book on Kindle? Also describing the start as "sedate" in nature would be insulting to the word, but it picks up speed. Some of the conversation is pretty stilted, and a lot of the book runs on stereotypes. By the time I was 40% through, I had guessed out the rest of the plot for the entire book and how it would end. He also has a heavy reliance on telling and not showing, which is quite ironic since he tries to have the main character, Gabriel, hit over the head repeatedly with symbolism in a book that Gabe is reading for his Lit. class.

While this all sounds very critical, it wasn't an unenjoyable piece of literature. It got me through some flights and layovers yesterday. The interaction were believable, on the whole, and I kept going, "oh that character reminds me of Person X" etc. It was very easy to see those from my own childhood in the characters Gabe interacts with, and a bit of myself as well.

In fact, one scene hit far too close to home for me, but spoilers:
Gabe is getting a ride home from his friend who went away to a Bible College, and the friend goes on the attack about "I know the things they teach you at that university", and then acts holier than thou about his Bible College. When Gabe tries to talk to him about video games and comics, the two things they shared besides their faith, his friend Hayden no longer indulges in such "worldly" things, because his college honor code forbids it, and there are "Spirit Leaders" who monitor your consumption of media. Hayden becomes pissed at him for trying to make him see that Hayden is being brainwashed and forced to give things up to be "righteous" and is conflating the "honor code" with "God's will". Eventually, Hayden kicks him out of the truck, blocks from his home.

When I became Catholic, I lost a lot of friends. It still hurts, it's a raw wound, and this dug right into it, because a very small amount of those 'friends' at least, tried to 'save' my soul from the 'Whore of Babylon'. And the conversation was basically those exact things, but with me arguing, "Well why do you believe that?" "Because of Sola Scriptura." "Where is it in Scripture?" "It's there. You just don't have the faith or intelligence to grasp it." "So where is Sola Scriptura in the Scriptures?" "It's there, you just don't know how to properly interpret it."

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Two chapters to go with "Americanah" By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Love story about a Nigerian woman who lives in the USA for 13 year where she writes a popular blog about the being a black non-american before returning to Lagos to her real love. Interesting insights into race. I often slow down to savor the end of a good book. This is one.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
17-11-2017, 10:09 PM
(17-11-2017 08:42 PM)whateverist Wrote:  Two chapters to go with "Americanah" By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Love story about a Nigerian woman who lives in the USA for 13 year where she writes a popular blog about the being a black non-american before returning to Lagos to her real love. Interesting insights into race. I often slow down to savor the end of a good book. This is one.

Seen much praise of that book so I bought it and read it, and for non American and/or resident of mono racial country it isn't so great I would say.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-11-2017, 04:45 PM
I just read The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene.

I'm still not sure if was some kind of self-help guide or a sociopath's handbook.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
24-11-2017, 06:35 AM
Have just begun reading Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. Lots of Christian context but primarily about the attempt by a man cognizant of his impending death to communicate to his not yet grown son about what is important in life.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
25-11-2017, 04:08 AM
Ahhh... I must be the common man LOL.

I'm currently reading 'The Midnight Line', the latest Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
26-11-2017, 06:42 PM
On the last chapter of Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (Penguin Classics translation by Martin Hammond).

Just started Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
29-11-2017, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2017 07:27 PM by kunoxian drive.)
Daughter of smoke and bone. so far I checked out this book five times ad still haven't gotten to it.
blood and frost as well.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.