What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
15-03-2018, 04:44 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
Putinism: The Slow Rise of a Radical Right Regime in Russia by Marcel Van Herpen.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2018, 05:57 AM
The New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason by Victor J. Stenger. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
19-03-2018, 01:21 PM
I have obtained copies of Alvin Plantinga's 3 volume series on Warranted Belief and will be torturing myself by plowing through them with a critical eye. I will need a big bottle of rum for this project. Maybe even more than one.

“It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction.”
― Harry G. Frankfurt, On Bullshit

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
19-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Finished Van Herpen Putinism. Seems that there is fascism in Russia (going by Roger Griffin minimal definition). There are interesting parallels between Weimar Germany and Russian Republic and let's call them authoritarian tendencies are increasing. It does not bode well for the future but thankfully what was does not define what would be.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-03-2018, 01:50 PM
Demon, third in John Varley's Gaea Trilogy.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-03-2018, 02:29 AM
The Last Dark - Stephen Donaldson
Book 4 of The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever

"Stephen Reeder Donaldson (born May 13, 1947) is an American fantasy, science fiction and mystery novelist, most famous for The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, his ten-novel fantasy series. His work is characterized by psychological complexity, conceptual abstractness, moral bleakness, and the use of an arcane vocabulary, and has attracted critical praise for its "imagination, vivid characterizations, and fast pace"."

As for the "fast pace" I beg to differ. On the other hand I found the series more compelling than Lord of the Rings. To each his own.

No gods necessary.
20-03-2018, 02:38 AM
Nothing: Something to Believe in by Nica Lalli. Also, THE THREE STOOGES JOURNAL, Spring 2018. Thumbsup
21-03-2018, 10:23 AM
I'm reading Monsteress Vol 2, a graphic novel. I really liked the first. I'm enjoying this one, but there was enough of a gap between when I finished the first and when I could get this one that I'm finding gaps. I'll see something that I remember happening, but I can't remember why. Sigh. I may see if I can download the first with Hoopla and quick skim the last quarter, or so.
21-03-2018, 01:30 PM
Just finished Man Tiger: A Novel by Eka Kurniawan and I'm disappointed. It wasn't bad per se but reviews led me to believe that it would be masterpiece. Suffice to say that it wasn't. It's nothing more than story of abusive family albeit in exotic (for Polish audience) scenery with little dose of supernatural I guess mixed in.

Mikhail Bakunin.
22-03-2018, 04:27 AM
Isaac Asimov's "The End of Eternity". Thumbsup
Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time". [/size][/font]Smartass
[+] 1 user Likes mooneagle's post