What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
05-02-2012, 05:14 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(25-12-2011 05:56 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Just to be totally different I'm currently reading The World According Clarkson (version 1, I've got 2, 3 and 4 waiting on my bookcase).

For those of you who aren't from the UK just wait for it, you're about to here gasps of horror from all British forum members followed by me getting about a billion negative reps and finally the appearance of a thread demanding the instant deletion of my account.

What can I say though, I think the guy's a legend!

That may be the worst and most vague Wikipedia article I've ever read. Big Grin

Would you care to elaborate on why he is so hated in the U.K.? I've never heard of the guy, and you've piqued my interest. Shy

"Fanatic ethnic or religious or national identifications are a little difficult to support when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars." - Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2012, 08:42 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 08:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
Being and Nothingness. Sigh, again? Dunno why, dunno why now, but it's always worth a reread. Wink

#sigh
06-02-2012, 08:47 PM
(25-12-2011 05:56 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Just to be totally different I'm currently reading The World According Clarkson (version 1, I've got 2, 3 and 4 waiting on my bookcase).

For those of you who aren't from the UK just wait for it, you're about to here gasps of horror from all British forum members followed by me getting about a billion negative reps and finally the appearance of a thread demanding the instant deletion of my account.

What can I say though, I think the guy's a legend!

I quite like Clarkson's humour. I've read a couple of his books.
Don't worry Hughsie, i got your back! Tongue

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
08-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche...again.

"There is no such thing as philosophy-free science; there is only science whose philosophical baggage is taken on board without examination."
-Daniel Dennett
[+] 2 users Like Valdyr's post
08-02-2012, 03:58 PM
After watching both the foreign and american movie versions.. I'm going back to read the Girl with the Dragon tattoo. I've heard its awesome..

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 1 user Likes k37713's post
08-02-2012, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 08:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-02-2012 03:41 PM)Valdyr Wrote:  Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche...again.

God help you. Wink

(08-02-2012 03:58 PM)k37713 Wrote:  I'm going back to read the Girl with the Dragon tattoo. I've heard its awesome..

I read the whole awesome series first. And then the author just ups and dies as a proper poet should. I'm going with your read instead of Sartre or Nietzsche, yours sounds like a lot more fun. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-02-2012, 04:37 PM
I think I'm going to go pick up " The Science of Yoga" as well. Although, I might get bored of it. I just like it cause it feels good.. even tho I'm curious about why -- I may just get excited reading it and want to go to class... haha

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
09-02-2012, 05:34 PM
(05-02-2012 05:14 PM)impr0vise Wrote:  That may be the worst and most vague Wikipedia article I've ever read. Big Grin

Would you care to elaborate on why he is so hated in the U.K.? I've never heard of the guy, and you've piqued my interest. Shy

His sense of humour isn't for everyone. That's about the only reason I can figure that people don't like him, that and your average person can't tell the difference between a serious comment and a non-serious comment.

For example he got in a load of trouble a few years ago for making a joke about truckers killing hookers. I don't think all truckers kill hookers, I don't condone truckers killing hooker, but I still found the joke kinda funny. To find the wit in a joke funny without also agreeing with the content is something most people in England don't understand. It's kinda like how everyone here has laughed at a racist/sexist/homophobic joke before, you can laugh at the joke without being a racist/sexist/homophobe. That concept goes right over most people's heads round here.

An example of the second thing would be his comment about union leaders a few months ago. Over here a few months ago there was a huge public sector strike because, in my opinion, they're a bunch of lazy assholes who want to do an afternoon's work (with several paid breaks) for a weeks pay and are throwing a tantrum because that option is being taken away. But anyway, Clarkson commented that all the union leaders should be shot in front of their families. While it's clear that he didn't actually want to commit genocide and was merely expressing his opposition to the strikes in an exaggerated way, the media/society don't seem to have the intellect to understand this and seemed to think he actually wanted to murder people.

A slightly longer and rantier post than I intended but that just about sums up my opinion.

PS. Kim, none of that was intended for you, it was aimed at some of the people I know in my area who really irritate me (like my family).

PPS. Aurora2020, thanks for the support, I didn't expect to get any Big Grin!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
15-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Clarkson is a laugh, you can’t take the bloke seriously or you’d hate him.

I’ve just finished Louis on the loose; it’s about this English woman who does the length of continental America from Alaska to the bottom.
It’s something I’d like to do.
She’s done Africa from top to tip too!
Also a good read.

I’ll try and get hold of a copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo next as well.
I’ve been meaning to read it for a while.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
16-02-2012, 04:34 PM
I am reading The Malazan Book of the Fallen Series. Fantastic stuff.