What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
05-06-2018, 05:31 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(05-06-2018 05:25 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Wanted to do some lighter reading so I started Jaksa by Jacek Komuda. Guy writes brilliant easterns but he stumbles every time he sets foot beyond his area of expertise. I mean calling Jesus Jassa or trying to hide old Slavic gods behind slightly altered names serve no purpose, except to irritate those with even iota of knowledge.

What are "easterns"? I googled with no results.

Are they westerns (guns, sheriffs, etc.) set somewhere else?

fudge is the only divinity that matters
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2018, 05:35 PM
(05-06-2018 05:31 PM)julep Wrote:  
(05-06-2018 05:25 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Wanted to do some lighter reading so I started Jaksa by Jacek Komuda. Guy writes brilliant easterns but he stumbles every time he sets foot beyond his area of expertise. I mean calling Jesus Jassa or trying to hide old Slavic gods behind slightly altered names serve no purpose, except to irritate those with even iota of knowledge.

What are "easterns"? I googled with no results.

Are they westerns (guns, sheriffs, etc.) set somewhere else?

Given similarity to word western I thought that this word is in circulation in other countries too. But I digress, eastern is indeed western set somewhere else, in this case in territories of Poland Commonwealth with nobles and sabers being used in place of sheriffs and guns. Outlaws however remains the same.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
10-06-2018, 03:57 AM
Lenin: The Man, the Dictator, and the Master of Terror by Victor Sebestyen.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
10-06-2018, 05:39 AM
The SO picked me up "The Outsider" by Stephen King.

If I can ever find time to sit down and read more than a few paragraphs at a time.

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
18-06-2018, 03:52 AM
After finally finishing Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy I'm now moving onto:

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman Smile

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
18-06-2018, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2018 07:26 AM by Szuchow.)
Finished Victor Sebestyen Lenin: The Man, the Dictator, and the Master of Terror. It's a gripping read offering vivid portrait of a man who later became "communist" saint. Author perfectly shows Lenin brutality when it comes to politics and his personal honesty, love for his wife and his other positive traits. However book does not shy from criticizing him, it's merely written with thought that truth is enough to condemn Lenin and there is no need for trying to demonize him.

Peter Struwe managed to capture dissonance of Lenin: What is scary in Lenin is him combining in one person real self-mortification, which is essence of true asceticism with mortification of other people.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
18-06-2018, 07:06 AM
SKEPTIC, Vol. 22, No. 2, 2018. Drinking Beverage
18-06-2018, 07:07 AM
"Living and fossil brachiopods" by M.J.S. Rudwick

Paleobeard.com
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
19-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. I have read this twice before, shortly after it came out (1973), and then again some time in the mid-to-late 1990s. It's a very dense and complicated book, and even on the third time around, I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but it's so good that you can enjoy it whether or not you "get" everything (and I suspect that nobody who reads this book gets everything). It's also very long -- I started reading it over a week ago, and I'll be lucky if I finish it this coming weekend. I am enjoying it, though.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
20-06-2018, 02:37 AM
Sacred Cows by Seth Andrews. Couple of chapters to go.

Sapere aude