What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
06-03-2012, 06:43 AM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
I just finished 'The Magic of Reality' by Richard Dawkins; and am now reading 'The Greatest Show on Earth' and 'Unweaving the Rainbow'. Also reading the Complete Works of Charles Dickens and 'Darwin's Dangerous Idea'..........

Ann
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes shadostr13's post
06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
I feel sad. I'm usually such an avid reader. I usually have a hard time finding books to read because I would go through them so fast. But lately I've not read a thing from beginning to end.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-03-2012, 08:46 PM
(06-03-2012 03:02 AM)hollowpointm16 Wrote:  I just bought Game of Thrones and God is NOT Great. But I haven't started either yet.

Game of Thrones was great, I am almost finished with book 2...A Clash of Kings and have enjoyed it for the most part. Sometimes there are scenes that go on a little too long and I start wandering off. Can't wait for season 2 to start, just got season 1 on DVD today. Like I haven't already watched it three times. God is Not Great is waiting on my nightstand.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
06-03-2012, 08:50 PM
(06-03-2012 08:46 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(06-03-2012 03:02 AM)hollowpointm16 Wrote:  I just bought Game of Thrones and God is NOT Great. But I haven't started either yet.

Game of Thrones was great, I am almost finished with book 2...A Clash of Kings and have enjoyed it for the most part. Sometimes there are scenes that go on a little too long and I start wandering off. Can't wait for season 2 to start, just got season 1 on DVD today. Like I haven't already watched it three times. God is Not Great is waiting on my nightstand.

For me, the first 2 books were amazing. The third book started getting tedious...like you, I would find sections too descriptive. I bought the 4th book about 3 years ago, but have yet to start it.

And I'm listening to God is Not Great. I'm not sure I would really enjoy it that much, but hearing it read by Hitchens makes it great.

I'm also reading Daniel Dennett's Breaking the Spell and HIGHLY recommend it as an argument for the need to thoroughly and scientifically investigate religion and it's evolution.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-03-2012, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2012 06:21 PM by GirlyMan.)
I usually don't bother reading books on atheism (I mean why should I bother?), but when my favorite atheist Penn Jillette comes out with one, well that I'll read. Big Grin

God, No!: Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales

#sigh
15-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Biblical Nonsense: A review of the bible for doubting christians

And it is fantastic I might add.
15-03-2012, 06:04 PM
(15-03-2012 05:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I usually don't bother reading books on atheism (I mean why should I bother?), but when my favorite atheist Penn Jillete comes out with one, well that I'll read. Big Grin

I always make plans to read atheist books but never get around to it. I've only read a small handful and this was one of them.

The humor inside of it kept me going through, but it's so disorganized and I'm sure it was titled this way just to get readers. It was pretty good, but it's barely about atheism. It's mostly just about life. Until the end. I enjoyed it.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-03-2012, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2012 08:24 PM by dagaz.)
Hi Ann,

I'm reading 'Darwin's Dangerous Idea' too. What do you think of it? So far I've been very amused by the reactions I've gotten from other people who see the title.

(06-03-2012 06:43 AM)shadostr13 Wrote:  I just finished 'The Magic of Reality' by Richard Dawkins; and am now reading 'The Greatest Show on Earth' and 'Unweaving the Rainbow'. Also reading the Complete Works of Charles Dickens and 'Darwin's Dangerous Idea'..........

Ann

Penn Jillette = awesome. I liked best the chapter in which he and several others go up in a 0G airplane. Summarizes the whole "Go for all the gusto you can grab" feel of the book.

(15-03-2012 05:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I usually don't bother reading books on atheism (I mean why should I bother?), but when my favorite atheist Penn Jillette comes out with one, well that I'll read. Big Grin

Currently reading...

Darwin's Dangerous Idea - Dennett

The Bell Jar - Plath

The Emperor's New Mind - Penrose

Look Homeward, Angel - Wolfe

The White Shroud - Ginsberg
26-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Just finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close ... did not like it
27-03-2012, 06:58 AM
(17-03-2012 08:17 PM)dagaz Wrote:  Hi Ann,

I'm reading 'Darwin's Dangerous Idea' too. What do you think of it? So far I've been very amused by the reactions I've gotten from other people who see the title.

So far I really like this book so far - it's not an easy read for me though. That and I got distracted by another book, The Atheist's Way by Eric Maisel, which I really liked.
Ann