What Are You Currently Reading?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
28-05-2012, 06:12 PM
RE: What Are You Currently Reading?
(28-05-2012 02:29 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Panda: Are you liking McCourt? I love his writing style. It's weird, if I start reading any of his books I just can't put them down.
Yes, I love his book. I first read it a few years when I randomly picked it up at a bookstore and its been great reading it again. Been itching to read his 2 sequels as well.

"Here's the thing about rights. They're not supposed to be voted on. That's why they call them rights." -Rachel Maddow
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2012, 05:40 PM
(28-05-2012 04:36 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I've put my primatology reading on hold to write a short history paper for my blog. I am currently gathering info from:

1. The Travels of Ibn Battuta, A.D. 1325-1354 (Volume 4) (1994) Translated by H.A.R. Gibb

2. India Traders of the Middle Ages: Documents From the Cairo Geniza (2008) by S.D. Goitein and M.A. Friedman

3. The Chinese-Hebrew Memorial Book (1984) by Donald Leslie

4. The Survival of the Chinese Jews: The Jewish Community of Kaifeng (1972) by Donald Leslie

5. "Founding Mothers of Jewish Communities: Geographically Separated Jewish Groups Were Independently Founded by Very Few Female Ancestors" by Thomas et al 2002

Add to those:

6. Mythology and Folklore of the Hui, A Muslim Chinese People (1994) by Shujiang Li and karl W. Kuckert

7. The History of Women's Mosques in Chinese Islam (2000) by Maria Jaschok and Shui Jingjun

8. Commerce and Society in Sung China (1970) by Shiba Yoshinobu

9. The Inner Quarters: Marriage and the Lives of Chinese Women in the Sung Period (1993) by Patricia Buckley Ebrey

10. A Mediterranean Society (Vol. 1-5) (1999) by S.D. Goitein

This is why I hardly ever finish books--I'm constantly reading snippets of info from numerous works at once.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Terry Pratchett - Thud!

I admire this author. Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
31-05-2012, 06:20 AM
The Doomsday Testament by James Douglas.

Tis not bad, better pace than The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo that I've just finished.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
31-05-2012, 09:57 AM
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

"Here's the thing about rights. They're not supposed to be voted on. That's why they call them rights." -Rachel Maddow
01-06-2012, 03:10 AM
Started The God Delusion yesterday
I must say that I find it much less interesting and awesome than I thought I would.
But for cycling an hour in the gym it is fine to read it there.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
15-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Fads & Fallacies in the Name of Science by Martin Gardner

Just started it today since I'm bedridden from an oral surgery, but so far I'm really enjoying it. Pretty straight-forward writing style that's easy to comprehend.

Oh and I find the subtitle rather funny: The Curious Theories of Modern Pseudoscientist and the Strange, Amusing and Alarming Cults that Surround Them. A Study in Human Gullibility.

"A man who dares waste an hour of his life has not discovered the value of life." - Charles Darwin
15-06-2012, 06:31 PM
I just started re-reading Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, Douglas R. Hofstadter. I read it 30 years ago - time for a refresh.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Religion in Human Evolution ... Robert N. Bellah (thanks ghostexorcist).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Just started the biography:
Butterfly in the typewriter by Cory MacLauchlin
-- The Tragic Life of John Kennedy Toole and the Remarkable Story of A Confederacy of Dunces.
I loved that book, the bio caught my eye and peaked my curiosity. Sounds pretty good. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein